The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 24, 2013, 11:55 AM   #1
Northrider

What do I have

I usually post on the handgun and reloading pages, but i have this querry for the forum. I inherited several rifles from my dad, but this one stumps me as to who made it. It is .243 and only has this on the receiver: L 57 NO 6603. On the barrel is stamped: Cal .243. No other identifying writing any where. Hopefully the pictures will come through.

Thanks in advance.
Old March 24, 2013, 12:53 PM   #2
PetahW

IMO, you have one of approx 5,000 Model 57 rifles, built on the FN Mauser action by Jefferson Mfg of New Haven mfg for Colt in 1957, in .243 or .30-06.

The "deluxe" model had a checkered stock.

If it's not marked "Colt", then it's most likely an over-run from that contract, for which extra rifles were probably made up from the parts, but just left with the Colt logo omitted - so Jefferson could clean up/out their inventory.

Old March 24, 2013, 02:50 PM   #3
Northrider

Thank you for the info. I had not considered that. I thought it might have been part of some govt. contract because of the stamped marks just past the number, but after that had no clue. Since dad is gone, and I'm pretty sure he bought it from a long out of business gun store in the late 60's, I did not have a clue why it had no manufacture info.
Thanks again
Old March 24, 2013, 03:02 PM   #4
cvc944

I would guess you are looking at a rifle built on a Sako L-57 action. Colt was one of the manufacturers who used these actions as the basis for their rifles. These actions were used for the shorter cartridges like .243 and .308. The '06 class cartridges usually used the larger FN actions. What I can't figure out is why the manufacturer that built the rifle did not put their name somewhere on it.
Old March 24, 2013, 03:45 PM   #5
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
I do beleive that you are correct , that's certainly not a Mauser or FN action !
Old March 24, 2013, 08:49 PM   #6
RJay

' did not put their name on it somewhere " If I remember correctly they are marked with the Jefferson Name. However, because it was made under contract for Colt, Colt paid for it, Colt wanted their name on it. It was sold under Colt's name as a Colt Rifle. BTW, there are Jefferson Barrels which are marked Colt, floating around, once in awhile one will wind up on a odd ball action such as a 98, it do confuse people all to heck. they think they have a Nazi Colt rifle.
Old March 25, 2013, 01:23 PM   #7
Northrider

Thank you all for your input. There is no other writing, unless it is under the barrel and covered by the stock. I even took the bolt out and the scope off, and still no identifying marks other than what is in the pics.
Thanks again.
Old March 25, 2013, 01:26 PM   #8
Scorch

Yep, looks like an oooold Sako L57 action. Quite nice, probably not much in demand, but quite nice none the less.

FWIW, right after WW2, companies like Sako and FN would make you whatever you wanted in relatively small runs because they were hungry for US dollars. Colt, Marlin, H&R, Sears, etc, all took advantage of this by having many guns made and private labeled for them overseas.