The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 24, 2012, 06:18 PM   #1
Bill Akins

New lanyard ring on my 1917, and who made these grips?

Yesterday my lanyard ring came in that I ordered to replace the missing one on my commercial S&W 1917. I got a brand new old stock one that isn't a reproduction. It was easy to replace. All I had to do was remove the grips and gently drive a pin out, place the lanyard ring into the hole in the grip frame bottom, then drive the pin back in.

Before lanyard ring....

After lanyard ring install....

While I had the grips off I heated a paper clip red hot with my torch lighter and touched it to the back of one grip. Made a tiny melt spot, so I know the grips are plastic, but they are also polished wood around the sides of the plastic and have a metal insert in them too that goes up into the round portion of the grip frame. You can see that in the photos.

It was hard to see what the lettering on the grips said because when it was stamped it kind of smeared. But eventually I was able to make out what it said.

It said....21, and either 36744 or 38744, (couldn't tell if it was a 6 or 8), heavy duty outdoorsman, highway patrolman.

No other printing of makers name or anything. Does anyone here know who made them? I like them a lot even though the stag portion is plastic. They are very well made with nice polished wood all around the inside edges of them. Here's a few pics....

Left grip...

Right grip. Someone had scraped some of the wood off the top section at one time. Not sure why. There wasn't anything it had to clear...

This pic shows the polished wood around the bottom outside of the grips.....

Based on the information I provided, does anyone have any idea who made these grips and how old they might be?

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; April 25, 2012 at 02:31 AM.
Old April 25, 2012, 06:42 AM   #2
Magnum Wheel Man

They look like Jay Scott grips to me...

looking similar to these...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=283471481

nice looking gun BTW...

I have an old Colt 1917 I've just started playing with... picked up about 100 auto rim cases, that I can down load a bit for the old Colt

I have a couple sets of Jay Scott grips... my favorite is a set of laminated grips that I added a S&W medallion & that fit my Top Break 32 snubbie
Old April 25, 2012, 07:29 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Check to see if your camera has a macro feature.

When you turn macro on, you can get photos that are both close in and in focus.

As it stands right now, a couple of the photos you posted?

Might be grips for a revolver, might be the Hindenburg right before blowing up. Kinda hard to tell.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 25, 2012, 07:34 AM   #4
jhenry

Those are Jay Scott grips.