The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 25, 2011, 11:49 PM   #26
orionengnr

You are correct

Neither the LCP or the P3AT are "fun" to shoot, but 100 rounds through an LCP is do-able. I did it with each of my two LCPs, just to make sure they functioned reliably.

If you are going to do it on a regular basis, a bicycle gel glove helps (about $6 at WalMart). I bought them to shoot my (long-departed) S&W 340 with "real" .357 Mag ammo...now that is a gun that is seriously unpleasant to shoot.
Old December 26, 2011, 01:47 AM   #27
checkmyswag

It's not supposed to be.

The 22 pistol/rifle is the best to shoot for "fun" in my opinion.
Old December 26, 2011, 02:00 AM   #28
nogo

Wolff 13 lb recoil springs tamed my LCP. Try'em.
Old December 26, 2011, 04:45 AM   #29
Sgt.Fathead

Pocket .380s are, IMHO, a class of defensive handguns that fall into the "Fight, then Flight" category. These little guns are not made for a protracted, multi-assailant, running gun battle like a full sized or even a compact semi-auto are. They are to get the bad guy down and allow you to move to cover, safety, etc. I think the current trend of makers producing pocket 9s like the LC9, Kimber Solo, etc. are attempts to make a more controllable and easy to shoot platform with more punch than snap, 9mm vs. 9mm 'short' respectively.

That said, I had bought my wife a Sig P238 when they first came out and as much as I enjoyed shooting it, accurately and well, she did not. She did not enjoy any pocket .380 and we have yet to find a hot weather pocket carry gun for her. I'm confident with a five-shot .38+P snubby, she is not. There are trade-offs and concessions with everything, I think, short of a fully armed Marine fire team and up.

I heartily agree with two previous posts; one should fire at least 100 rounds through any arm for carry (my minimum is actually in the neighborhood of 500) and that the arm proved reliable, if not a joy to use, was a better determining factor in it's selection.

Best of luck!
Old December 26, 2011, 08:41 AM   #30
rep1954

While I find the recoil of the LCP stout I dont find that it hurts and makes me recoil shy. I admit it's not a first timers gun for learning how to shoot but it is no way as abusive as my 44 Magnums. As for the sights a little flat white paint done properly on the front sight makes a big difference also adding a grip sleeve as the Houge Handal that have a finger groove molded in to help control the gun upon recoil.
Old December 26, 2011, 08:52 AM   #31
CMichael

Little
Crappy
Pistol
Old December 26, 2011, 10:22 AM   #32
Patrice

Hhmmm....Well, as my spouse said to me about the experience of firing more than 4-5 .357mag rounds out of a Ladysmith, "It's not for target practice, it's for getting your A-S-S-S out of a crack.--Patrice
Old December 26, 2011, 10:48 AM   #33
Sgt.Fathead

CMichael and Patrice, you had me laughing! I don't agree that it's crappy, though, just a concession to the parameters of it's use.
Old December 26, 2011, 11:01 AM   #34
Iron Man

I bought one, sold it, and stuck with my Walthers. I would rather carry accurate and have fun practicing than carry a SD gun I don't shoot often. My opinion.
Old December 26, 2011, 12:29 PM   #35
Viper99

Same experience with me. I will put 20 or so rounds before moving on to something else that I actually enjoy shooting.
Old December 26, 2011, 08:25 PM   #36
BrittB

I don't mind shooting mine, in fact kind of enjoy it a bit. I HATE the 6 round magazine and the sights. I also couldn't hit water with it if I were standing next to the ocean!
Old December 27, 2011, 12:16 AM   #37
Mosin44az

I bought my LCP a couple of years ago and initially thought I made a huge mistake, just because of the recoil pain.

Three different adjustments have pretty much solved the problem:

1. Add Ruger or Pearce Grip magazine baseplate extenders. Adds grip length and allows you to hold on tighter. Better control and less pain because ( I think) the pistol doesn't move as much and slam into your hand;

2. Pachmayr Tactical Grip Glove. It's padded, and also cuts pain, to the point where I decided to keep the little bugger, which had also by that point smoothed out its trigger and proven VERY reliable, and even accurate despite the lack of sights; and, as nogo noted above,

3. Wolff 13 lb. recoil spring. Racking the slide is a little tougher, but it still functions fine with my defense ammo, and the pain is almost all gone, just a bit of a tap from the back of the pistol. Not a problem. Wolff sells recoil calibration packs so you can tune recoil vs. function.

Note to those not familiar: The Grip Glove slips on the gun like a hogue wraparound; it's not a glove for the hand!

Last edited by Mosin44az; December 30, 2011 at 12:52 AM.
Old December 27, 2011, 12:46 AM   #38
Carry_24/7

The LCP was not designed to be a 500-1000rnd a day range, competition, or home defense gun.

Its a pocket pistol.....
Old December 27, 2011, 05:07 AM   #39
CombustibleLemon

I agree with carry24/7. It is definatly a defensive pistol and nit meant to be a work horse. I bought my girlfriend a raspberry LCP for Christmas last year. I couldn't even wrap my pinky around the end of the grip without the magazine extension so it bucked a little for me. And it is LOUD. But the noise would help deter an assailant. And the small size makes the pistol easily concealed or carried in your significant other's purse. Great lady gun IMO.
Old December 27, 2011, 02:09 PM   #40
Sponge14

I had a thread regarding the same thing not too long ago. My problem was not with the recoil, it's with my finger rubbing against the trigger guard.

That being said, what I do (in addition to the band aid on the finger trick) is take the LCP out, put a mag or 2 through it, switch to the .223 Bushmaster for a while, move back in and shoot the P89, then another mag or 2 through the LCP again.
Old December 27, 2011, 03:06 PM   #41
Walt Sherrill

I had a P3AT that caused problems -- my trigger finger really collided with the trigger guard. I eventually gave it to my son (a cop) and got an LCP. He never had the problem. While the P3AT and LCP are very similar, the trigger guard on the LCP didn't hurt my hand.

If someone is having a problem like that, it may take a different gun.

Look into the KTADDONS grip material, which make the gun more pleasant to shoot -- and the magazine bases that give your fingers a better place to rest.

Old December 27, 2011, 05:25 PM   #42
Clark

If you think factory 380 is unpleasant in the P3AT and LCP, I am shooting handloads, 90 gr Gold Dots at 1100 fps. They don't eject the brass, they shoot it.

The recoil stings.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old December 27, 2011, 07:43 PM   #43
lambertsteeth

I agree with you.

The best thing about my lcp, so far, is that it has gone bang, every time. This is also the MOST important thing to me with this type of gun.
Old December 27, 2011, 08:10 PM   #44
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
When I take my LCP out I put 25-50 rounds thru it, just enough to verify I'm still accurate and that it works. Then I move on to whatever else I'm there to shoot.
^This, but isn't that true of virtually any carry weapon? When I take my EDC, a Kimber Ultra CDP to the range, it isn't for fun but merely to make sure I'm still current with preferred ammo. Also true of my P32 BUG. Generally anywhere from 2 mags to 50 rounds is used, but never more. Then, if I'm there with other weapons, it's on to the fun stuff.
Old December 27, 2011, 08:33 PM   #45
Justice06RR

These tiny pocket guns are design exactly for what they are, concealment and not range toys. I've never shot a LCP, but the other pocket guns I've shot/owned including PF9, LC9, Taurus740 are no fun at all - even with just 50rds.
Old December 27, 2011, 09:03 PM   #46
Dashunde

I like it.
Great
Little
Gun
A hundred rounds makes my hand sore too - it should.

It kicks less than my Glock 27.
Old December 28, 2011, 01:51 AM   #47
Clark

The handgun I love to shoot is the Colt Single Action Army [SAA] 45 Colt revolver.

I once saw a cowboy, he looked like Willie Nelson, in a very remote town, and I could see an SSA inside his vest.
That cannot be comfortable to haul around all day.

But I have an LCP right over my heart right now, and I can't feel it.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old December 28, 2011, 02:50 AM   #48
lcpiper

I favor the P238 over the other smaller .380s. To me it's as small as I am willing to go and as far as I can see I sacrifice nothing over the others. It's still small enough, easier to shoot, faster shooting and more acurate.

I initially bought a BG 380 and found that I didn't want the laser cause I would have to completely relearn shooting with it. And my wife had trouble with the DA pull. I swapped it out for a P238 and am much happier and my wife no longer swings the muzzle across the firing line as she tries to show me that her pistol isn't firing, scary Which was the biggest reason that BG 380 had to go.
Old December 30, 2011, 05:22 PM   #49
bslo

Hogue for LCP really helps!

I bought a Hogue Handall grip made specifically for the Ruger LCP .380. It covers the entire backstrap top to bottom and adds thickness. It is not just the sleeve type, it snaps in place by replacing a pin. Made a lot of difference in felt recoil. I don't mind shooting my LCP now.
Old December 31, 2011, 05:44 PM   #50
Armybrat

Fine little guns.

Mine goes bang every time.