The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum > TFL Photo Contest

Old June 1, 2008, 08:25 PM   #26
Freakdaddy

Well, not sure if it is supposed to be only one picture or not, so I'll post more than one .

Browning Buckmark Damascus

Old June 1, 2008, 08:28 PM   #27
Freakdaddy

M&P45

Old June 1, 2008, 08:37 PM   #28
Freakdaddy

Kimber Gold Combat Stainless II

Old June 1, 2008, 08:39 PM   #29
Freakdaddy

Ruger Single Six

Old June 1, 2008, 08:44 PM   #30
Freakdaddy

Browning Pro-9 (the Mrs. gun)

Old June 1, 2008, 09:12 PM   #31
oneSoneK

I know its not real expencive decked out weapon but its a good gun been shooting for almost 18 years..... love it

Old June 1, 2008, 10:15 PM   #32
cschwanz

i like the idea, but it may too tough to make a poll seeing as how there would be more than ten entries. unless there was a "council" if you will that selected the top 10 then we made a poll from that. and PBP would have to be a judge and therefore uneligible :P and Bandit too. they take too many good pics!
Ignorance can be fixed....its called education. Stupid will get you killed!
Old June 1, 2008, 10:20 PM   #33
Shadi Khalil

Schwarz, I was thinking the same thing. I think I may have just started another pics post....I'm more of a muse, a visionary if you will. I thought someone would take do the leg work with the polling, voting and all...

We could post pics till a certain date then lock the thread and have everyone email me there votes?

This thing needs some organiztion!
Old June 1, 2008, 10:30 PM   #34
sw_florida

We could set a dead line, like July 31st, so that every one has time to go to a gun range, re-blue, or what ever. It could be three categories: semi, revolver and rifle. Every one who wants to participate should enlist, and then there should be the voting process, and the winner should get $1 or something to his/her paypal account from each who signed up. Those who don't pay the winner are named by screen name at the end for the shame of it.
Old June 1, 2008, 11:07 PM   #35
Shadi Khalil

SWFL, I like your idea.....What do you guys think?
Old June 1, 2008, 11:09 PM   #36
Moe Howard

Works for me.
Old June 1, 2008, 11:35 PM   #37
ragwd

I hesitate to post my pics after seeing the ones already posted and knowing that PBP will certainly post some but I have a few pics I like and will share.

Old June 2, 2008, 12:51 PM   #38
sw_florida

An idea is to have two categories: hand gun and long gun.

One could enlist in the cometition, one or both categories, by simply saying wich with a post here. More than one will keep track of who is in. By a certain date the contributions must be in. Voting could be by posting here your opinion for the best photo. More than one will count votes. The winner has to give his/her paypal address here at the end. $1 to the winner from each in the specific category.

If some one can polish this idea or come up with something else, please do.
Old June 2, 2008, 01:00 PM   #39
sw_florida

An idea is to let each person contribute two photos in the catogry(s) for a total of four maximum and give each person two votes which he/she can split however he/she wants between the contributions in the specific category. Long gun posters can't vote on a hand gun picture, just long guns.
Old June 2, 2008, 02:15 PM   #40
Texas Armadillo

Good idea.
Old June 2, 2008, 02:29 PM   #41
sw_florida

I'm all riled up about the photo contest. How about two prizes in each category? $2 to the winner and $1 to the second place winner? One person could win it all in each category, hand gun and long gun, if he/she is very clever with ideas and a camera. If you only have one hand gun, shoot two pictures of the hand gun in different poses or situations to maximaize your chance to win.

I also think the rules should allow for "artistic" pictures as well, like a cool photo of a muzzle blast, mainly focusing on the blast itself, or what ever you can come up with. If a person contributes a "too artistic" photo that no one will vote on it's his/her loss.

The end date for the contributions hasn't been agreed upon yet, but I think we should allow two weeks for the voting process in case people are away on business or vacation.
Old June 2, 2008, 02:55 PM   #42
Silvanus

Quote:
An idea is to have two categories: hand gun and long gun.
We could also make some sub-categories like polymer handguns and traditional/steel framed handguns. Otherwise the most beautiful gun (probably a 1911, this is an American forum after all) will win rather than the most skilled photographer.
Old June 2, 2008, 03:13 PM   #43
sw_florida

I am of the opinion that a thought-provocing "situation photo" is more likely to win over a traditional "polished 1911 on the kitchen table" photo, but I could be wrong. If polymer owners fear their guns will not come across as attractive they will have to be more clever with the situation set up. With two photos each in each category and two prizes in each category there should be a chance for a polymer owner to win something. Besides, if you go for a muzzle blast photo, does it matter if the gun is made of polymer or not when you can't see the gun? I like to keep things simple so I'm against dividing up in sub categories, but I'm also flexible and if the majority want a system of subcategories then I'm fine with that.

Or, a photo competition with detailed sub categories can be held after this photo competition, when we know how manageable this relatively easy photo competition was.
Old June 2, 2008, 03:21 PM   #44
Silvanus

Well, I own both types of pistols and I'm not a good photographer anyway You're right though, the (photo) shooter and his imagination are probably more important than the gun.
Old June 2, 2008, 03:43 PM   #45
sw_florida

I mean, in the hand gun category, does the hand gun need to bee seen at all, really? A situation photo from seedy down town could well carry the concept of concealed carry. Let people bring what they want to the photo competition in the two categories, as I think it should be, hand gun and long gun, and a winner will be found. I have no doubt about that.
Old June 2, 2008, 04:22 PM   #46
sw_florida

The way I look at the photo competition, a photo of a deer standing on a mountain ridge in the distance could well win in the long gun category without a long gun being present in the photo, while the same photo submitted to the hand gun photo competition would not likely win because the photo would provoke sickening thoughts of cruelty to animals.
Old June 2, 2008, 10:18 PM   #47
JohnKSa
Staff

Ok, your dedicated staff has considered the implications and ramifications of this thread contest and has reached a verdict. (If only the Supreme Court could work as fast and render a judgement as concise, equitable and benevolent.)

This is now a General Discussion thread since both handguns & long guns are allowed. Move will come immediately after I finish this post.

The consensus of the staff is that involving money is undesirable, fraught (I love that word), fraught, I say, with all kinds of possible unpleasantness.

Carry on with the contest & polling but the prize will be the glowing admiration of the TFL membership (it's as close as we can get to a group hug) and, AND, (but wait, there's more!) the winners' photos will get put in a "sticky" thread in General Discussion for a suitable time period.
Old June 2, 2008, 10:22 PM   #48
Shadi Khalil

Fair enough, thanks John....

Let the games begin!
Old June 3, 2008, 12:38 AM   #49
oneSoneK

sounds good so who starts...
Old June 3, 2008, 01:50 AM   #50
Bud Helms

I think it a good idea to post one picture of your entry. So, make it a good one.

What I would like to see is a "start over" ... giving everyone an even start as far as one pic per member entry.

So ... I'm thinking if we close this thread and start anew. What say everyone? Gimme a chorus here ... Aye?