The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 3, 2013, 05:41 PM   #176
SauerGrapes

One of the shops I used to frequent for reloading supplies told a customer he could substitute Federal 209A primers for the Remington 209P primers.
I looked at the counter guy and said, ''really''? The owner was close by and informed his employee, that was not a good idea.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old June 3, 2013, 06:42 PM   #177
Glenn E. Meyer

I went to the range with a guy with a Browning BDM and a bag of 380. I explained why it didn't work.

Most people, in the gun world, bring knives to their gun fights.

I did hear the blank thing at Cabelas. Guy wanted a pump shotgun to scare away BGs with the rack. He wanted blanks as back up noise maker. The clerk suggested rubber buckshot.
Old June 3, 2013, 10:14 PM   #178
BornToLooze

One time I asked if they had a stock for an AK47 since they had a pistol grip for one (mine has the thumbhole stock). The guy behind the counter gets a $1200 Sig AR off the rack and goes to hand it to me, and says, "Well this looks kind of like a AR47." I was too dumbfounded to say anything and just walked away.
Old June 4, 2013, 02:55 AM   #179
MarkDozier

Quote:
ask the gun toting patron whether the gun was loaded with a charge? He said "it was loaded with powder an ball,
FYI - A muzzle loader is not concidered loaded if a cap is not installed.
Don't blame you for leaving. All shop i go to require guns holsted or cased before coming in.
Old June 4, 2013, 07:42 AM   #180
45_auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husqvarna
he wouldn't work there if he didn't know his stuff
Your gunshops in Sweden are much different than those in the US if that is true.

In the 25 years that I've lived in a medium sized town here, I've seen about 10 gunshops start up and stay in business for 2 or 3 years before closing their doors.

The employees seem to be the people who are incapable of finishing school, and are more than happy working for minimum wage at the gunshop while displaying their vast ignorance of most things even remotely related to firearms or the real world.
Old June 4, 2013, 09:19 AM   #181
Kimber84

Goofy Things Said At Gun Shops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
"It's OK--it's not loaded."

Heard twice today. Both times untrue.
At our LGS, there is a Tupperware container on the front counter by the entrance, its full of random calibers, mostly pistol.

I asked the guy working the counter one time, what is all of that. He said " those are unloaded guns". Amazing the idiots that carry loaded guns into the store and how many times they point then right at him while they tell him its unloaded.
Old June 4, 2013, 08:08 PM   #182
Ludwig Von Mises

Didn't read all 8 pages, so I don't know if anyones said this yet, but I am so tired of hearing people who come in with zero knowledge of guns whatsoever and want to buy the two most common weapons that the media has drilled into their heads, the AR15 and the Glock.

"Hi, uh, where are the (looks down at newspaper) AR-15's?"

I have no problems with those weapons alone, but the amount of fools I hear every trip to my LGS is astounding.

Last edited by Evan Thomas; June 4, 2013 at 08:14 PM. Reason: no conspiracy theories, please.
Old June 4, 2013, 08:27 PM   #183
BigTex308

Quote:
Didn't read all 8 pages, so I don't know if anyones said this yet, but I am so tired of hearing people who come in with zero knowledge of guns whatsoever and want to buy the two most common weapons that the media has drilled into their heads, the AR15 and the Glock.

"Hi, uh, where are the (looks down at newspaper) AR-15's?"

I have no problems with those weapons alone, but the amount of fools I hear every trip to my LGS is astounding.

That's why it's my job as a salesman to get them into a gun that "fits them" and suits their needs.

I think it'd be a great idea for every law abiding citizen to have an AR-15 at their house. But your average joe doesn't need a 3k AR. he'd be just as happy with a M&P.

If the customer just wants to blow money I'm more than happy to sell him whatever he wants. But I'm not going to sell him something just because it's the latest and greatest and costs the most. I'm going to reccomend the weapon that I think would be best suited for his/hers needs and uses.

Especially with handguns. If a custonmer has done his research and KNOWS which model he wants and comes into get it that's great. But if they're just walking in to buy their first pistol, I feel I haven't done my job if I don't show them at least 5 different ones. I usually reccomend trying a rental out on the range especially if they have never shot a handgun before.

I see alot of people come in and want to buy "x model" gun because it's the only kind they've heard about.

I try and figure out what they need and what they'll be the most satisfied with. Sometimes it's a H&K. Sometimes it's a Ruger LCP.

I hate the guys at shops that push a certain gun just becasue it costs more or is something they like. Not even taking into consideration what the customer needs.

Ike
Old June 4, 2013, 08:28 PM   #184
Kimber84

Goofy Things Said At Gun Shops

Speaking of ARs and Glocks... I'm sure this has been posted before, but its too good to pass up....

Old June 4, 2013, 10:06 PM   #185
RBid

Quote:
That's why it's my job as a salesman to get them into a gun that "fits them" and suits their needs.
I can already tell that you're good at your job. That is exactly the attitude that I had toward the job, and all of the other guys I know who have been successful in firearm sales have operated the same way.

Your whole post was gold, sir. Well done.
Old June 4, 2013, 10:38 PM   #186
ClydeFrog

not a gun shop but....

It's not exactly a gun shop remark but about 3mo ago I met a security company manager in Stamford CT who told me how; "we don't use guns" .
He went on to tell me how armed security licenses are hard to get in CT and few clients want the liability.
That may be true but I'd rather be armed when a stalker fan runs in with a shotgun or some nutcase with a sword shows up to talk to a manager.
Judo flips & krav magra isn't going to work then.

CF
Old June 5, 2013, 12:02 AM   #187
BigTex308

Quote:
I can already tell that you're good at your job. That is exactly the attitude that I had toward the job, and all of the other guys I know who have been successful in firearm sales have operated the same way.

Your whole post was gold, sir. Well done.

Thank ya!

Ike
Old June 6, 2013, 03:24 PM   #188
Proffer

to continue this...

I overheard this recently from a counter guy extolling the virtues of a Judge.

"It shoots a 45 Long Colt...but you don't wanna shoot that indoors. It's more powerful than a 357 magnum. It'll go right through a wall."
Old June 6, 2013, 04:58 PM   #189
KyJim

Quote:

"It shoots a 45 Long Colt...but you don't wanna shoot that indoors. It's more powerful than a 357 magnum. It'll go right through a wall."
I don't know if a Taurus is rated for heavy loads but Buffalo Bore carries a load in .45 LC +P that produces 1,267 foot pounds of energy. https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...ct_detail&p=38. Another produces 1500 foot pounds of energy. https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=335.

Their most powerful .357 magnum load generates 802 foot pounds of energy. https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=103
Old June 6, 2013, 05:30 PM   #190
Dr Big Bird PhD

Quote:

Erm, I think youre getting .45 acp and 45 LC mixed up. It is way loader/more powerful than a 357
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old June 6, 2013, 07:20 PM   #191
RodTheWrench

"Is that loaded?". "Yeah, but the safety's on so it's all good. "
Old June 6, 2013, 08:29 PM   #192
BigTex308

This isn't restricted to just gun shops, but it seems since the SEALS took out usama bin laden a lot of guys in the service whether it's army, marines, navy, whatever, knows or was best buddies or has had something given to them by a member of SEAL team 6.

Just the other day a family friend (former Army) was telling me how he has a $7,000 barrel for an M16 at his house that was given to him by one of the members of SEAL team 6. I just went along with it. While it may or may not be true he does have a track record of exaggerating slightly (this started before he joined the service) He actually did serve. Just some of his stories make you wonder. He never goes into details about what all he did (as I've found most vets don't) but when he talks about all the people he knows you sometimes wonder.

Not all of them are like this of course but it seems like all of a sudden everybody is best friends with them or has something that a member gave them. I just find it funny.

***************The above was in no way meant to disrespect any of our brave men and women that are fighting or have fought for our freedoms. Anybody that knows me personally knows I have an outstanding ammount of respect and gratitude for our vets.***********************

Ike

Last edited by BigTex308; June 6, 2013 at 11:26 PM.
Old June 6, 2013, 10:01 PM   #193
Proffer

Quote:
don't know if a Taurus is rated for heavy loads but Buffalo Bore carries a load in .45 LC +P that produces 1,267 foot pounds of energy. https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...ct_detail&p=38. Another produces 1500 foot pounds of energy. https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=335.
Quote:
Erm, I think youre getting .45 acp and 45 LC mixed up. It is way loader/more powerful than a 357
Hmmm...I guess I'm learning something. The only 45LC I've shot have been "cowboy" loads and they didn't seem anywhere near as hot as .357...
Old June 6, 2013, 11:11 PM   #194
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
knows or was best buddies or has had something given to them by a member of SEAL team 6.
This is the story of John and Leroy. The names have been changed to protect...well, you get it.

John's a retired SEAL. I'd known him for quite awhile, and I found out by chance. He's not real talkative about it, and despite asking a few questions about hardware, I don't pry.

John and I were talking at the counter one day when Leroy walked in. Leroy asked to see a rifle and started spouting off about MOA, Mil dots, and all sorts of technical stuff in a way that suggested he'd heard of those concepts but didn't understand them.*

He was asking some pretty broad-based beginner questions, so I inquired as to his prior shooting experience. His reply was that he'd been a sniper for the SEALs, but he was now looking for greater challenges in the private sector.

Uh oh.

Then John did something totally unexpected. He leaned over, looked at Leroy and said, "holy cow, a SEAL? That must have been really exciting! Tell me all about it!"

...aaaaand for about fifteen minutes, Leroy regaled us with his tales of glory. From what I could gather, his job was to run behind the guys storming the beach and lay down covering fire. While standing in the water. Yeah.

Leroy ended up buying a cheap AK clone. John and I both got a chuckle over it. And by chuckle, I mean I nearly hyperventilated.

Work at a gun shop long enough, and you'll learn that there is one Marine sniper for every three men, women, and children in America. Also, the SKS has been blessed with the tears of Vasily Zaytsev to be a magical, 1000-yard tack driver, and it's the choice of covert operators who want plausible deniability.

One would think covert operators wouldn't tattle so much about being covert operators, but hey.

* Second weirdest question I've gotten: "Does this rifle include MOA?"
Old June 6, 2013, 11:50 PM   #195
Evan Thomas

I think I'd like your pal John...
Old June 7, 2013, 12:03 AM   #196
candr44

Goofy Things Said at a Gun Shop

Said at a gun show recently

" That bulk 550 round box of Federal .22 ammo is $125 but I can work with you on the price. I will knock it down to $100." I didn't waste my time with them and just turned and walked away.
Old June 8, 2013, 11:19 AM   #197
grizzly67

Was at local Dunham's to get some shotgun ammo yesterday. Overheard a guy with his girl talking about his kevlar riding jacket being bullet-proof. Pointed to the rifle display and said " I could get shot from any gun up there and just smile". These were REAL rifles, not airsoft. Marlin 30-30, Savage Axis (.243 & .270), some Remington 770's, etc.

I thought, man, if he was ever dumb enough to try it, I'll nominate him for the Darwin award this year.
Old June 8, 2013, 02:24 PM   #198
Bluestarlizzard

Quote:
Was at local Dunham's to get some shotgun ammo yesterday. Overheard a guy with his girl talking about his kevlar riding jacket being bullet-proof. Pointed to the rifle display and said " I could get shot from any gun up there and just smile". These were REAL rifles, not airsoft. Marlin 30-30, Savage Axis (.243 & .270), some Remington 770's, etc.

I thought, man, if he was ever dumb enough to try it, I'll nominate him for the Darwin award this year.
When some guys say "Hold my beer and watch this!" You go get the camera and prepare for the Lulz.

When other guys say it, you excuse yourself from the procedings and prepare to inform the world that you left and know NOTHING!

The guy in this story is one of those other guys...
Old June 8, 2013, 10:51 PM   #199
SgtLumpy

CUSTOMER:
"I see those guys on TV and movies holding their guns sideways when they shoot. Is that something I should learn to do?"

CLERK:
"No. If you do that, the path of the bullet will go right. Hold the gun vertical and the bullet will drop down, staying over the area of the guy you're trying to shoot."

Sgt Lumpy
Old June 8, 2013, 11:02 PM   #200
Tom Servo
Staff

The UN small-arms treaty will take effect whether or not the Senate ratifies it, and that will allow them to read all our emails. Yeesh.