The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 2, 2012, 01:18 PM   #26
OEF-Vet

I had to chuckle at that last on as I actually did bring my flashlight back from Afghanistan.

I as well am comfortable moving around my home in complete darkness, I prefer to carry my flashlight because I am light sensitive and I would use my flashlight only after I see the intruder to identify the target and possibly effect their vision for a moment.

It's great to see the different points of view, I would have to say for the individual it really comes down to "What are you comfortable with?" because that is what is your best course of action.

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton Jr
Old January 2, 2012, 01:59 PM   #27
Sparks1957

Quote:
I'm in my house, not Afganistan. Believe me, I can move through every room of my house in the pitch dark. I know how many steps there are on every set of stairs on the property. I know where every light switch is. It's my house, how could I not know?
My sentiments precisely.
Old January 2, 2012, 02:18 PM   #28
wayneinFL

I know the layout of my house in the dark. I don't need light to find my way around, but to see an intruder.

Personally, the way my house is laid out, the only light switch near my bedroom is the bedroom light. All that does is light me up and show my location, while blinding me to anyone who may be out there in the dark. I have to walk across the livingroom or kitchen to flip on a switch to see anyone.

As for clearing the house, the first thing I would want to do is check on my kids on the other side of the house to make sure they're safe.

Quote:
This goes against the "shoot them in the dark without clearly identifying them first" strategy followed by many here in T&T.
I've never seen anyone advocate that here. Maybe I missed it. Care to provide a link?
Old January 2, 2012, 03:01 PM   #29
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatme98
Believe me, I can move through every room of my house in the pitch dark.
Great, when you can also identify friend or foe in pitch dark, clear your house at speed in pitch dark, and prevent yourself from being backlit in doorways while also being able to see into darker rooms in pitch dark, you'll be halfway to not needing a flashlight at all.
Old January 2, 2012, 03:04 PM   #30
Sparks1957

... I think that's where a hand-held light of some kind comes in handy.
Old January 2, 2012, 03:22 PM   #31
Bartholomew Roberts

I think a hand-held light is always a nice option to have, even when you do have a weapon mounted light. However, if you are using a long gun, dialing 911, opening doors, or trying to get your children to safety, then trying to also operate a flashlight with your weak hand can be difficult... Not to mention that many of us would be doing well just to have pants and a firearm handy during a break-in at night. Having a light on the firearm already simplifies the process a great deal.

Like any other tool, it can hurt you if you don't know what you are doing with it though.
Old January 2, 2012, 03:28 PM   #32
Buzzcook

I leave a light on in the kitchen. Anyone between me and that is silhouetted.

That's not why the light is on, but it serves that purpose.
Old January 2, 2012, 03:28 PM   #33
Kimbertron

I keep flashlights in a few spots in the house mainly because i lose power alot. My primary home defense is 5 dogs though. What I really need for dealing with a home invader is night vision goggles and a suppressed PPK . I know I watch too many movies lol.
Old January 2, 2012, 03:38 PM   #34
Sparks1957

I've always been wary of weapon-mounted lights, as they give a bad guy a point of aim. I know they free your hands, but that's why I practice one-handed shooting every time I go to the range.

My wife can call 911
Old January 2, 2012, 03:48 PM   #35
Mike38

Quote:
That's not nearly as cool as having a flashlight attached to your gun.
Yea, Tacticool.

Besides, with no light mounted on your firearm, where is the bad guy expected to shoot? With a light on your gun it gives him an east target. What’s directly behind the light? Your head! Just aim at the light, bad guy wins!
Old January 2, 2012, 04:26 PM   #36
hsccox

I use cheap nightlights that plug into wall outlet in my house...not to bright, but you can see things at night.
Old January 2, 2012, 04:34 PM   #37
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
Besides, with no light mounted on your firearm, where is the bad guy expected to shoot? With a light on your gun it gives him an east target. What’s directly behind the light? Your head! Just aim at the light, bad guy wins!
A lot of people who apparently never been involved in any kind of low-light training seem to be under the mistaken belief that a weapon mounted light is always on. That isn't the case. I really, really, encourage people to test some of these ideas for themselves in low-light.
Old January 2, 2012, 04:36 PM   #38
Boatme98

BRobt., I don't have any kids at home. If there's anybody in my house in the dark, I didn't invite them. A non-problem here.
Old January 2, 2012, 04:57 PM   #39
BlackFeather

I don't use a flashlight. I can't use a gun, apartment with neighbors almost everywhere. We have ambient light from the Fish tank and my Alligators tank. I stay low so as not to cast much of a shadow or attract eyes and observe before I call the police or go back to bed. I have considered weapon mounted lights, but I also don't live alone, and again, can't use my guns inside.

I should just let the alligator roam...

[Insert random irrelevant religious quote here]
Old January 2, 2012, 05:02 PM   #40
Sparks1957

Quote:
I should just let the alligator roam...
That alone would keep me out of your house.

How big is he/she?
Old January 2, 2012, 05:05 PM   #41
Willie Lowman

Quote:
I've never seen anyone advocate that here. Maybe I missed it. Care to provide a link?
Sure! Here's a thread where people are doing just that.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=473736
Old January 2, 2012, 06:37 PM   #42
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
BRobt., I don't have any kids at home. If there's anybody in my house in the dark, I didn't invite them. A non-problem here.
I wouldn't be so sure. One of the stories told to me by an elderly shooter was one where he heard someone in his house. So he forted up in his bedroom and called the police. Someone comes to his bedroom door and it his neighbor checking on him because he saw someone over there and then saw the door to the house open. Luckily he announced his entrance well enough that the guy heard it.

However, my main point earlier was that a flashlight has multiple uses and that moving through your house is not the same as fighting in low-light.
Old January 2, 2012, 07:06 PM   #43
nate45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew Roberts
However, my main point earlier was that a flashlight has multiple uses and that moving through your house is not the same as fighting in low-light.
Exactly. This is the Tactics and Training sub-forum and the ideas and personal preferences expressed by some posters in this thread are ill informed and not sound tactics.

Correctly using a hand held, or weapon mounted light for night time home defense is an important and potentially life saving skill.

I prefer a weapon mounted light, my 12 gauge, which is my primary HD weapon has a light mounted. Unfortunately none of my present handguns have rails. With no rail I prefer the Harries Hold, as pictured below, but there are several other methods. Also below is a link to the various methods and overview of how the flashlight should be properly used.

Harries Hold

Handgun Flashlight Techniques

Last edited by nate45; January 2, 2012 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Mis-spelling
Old January 2, 2012, 07:35 PM   #44
45_auto

Quote:
I know exactly where every switch in my house is and can reach in, sweep the switch on, and pull my hand back in a half second. Why not do it?
Do you know the difference between cover and concealment?

Once you reach around and flip the light on, you're going to be hiding behind that "bulletproof" drywall?
Old January 2, 2012, 07:49 PM   #45
OEF-Vet

Nice link nate45
It should shed some light on the subject

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton Jr

Last edited by OEF-Vet; January 2, 2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old January 2, 2012, 08:06 PM   #46
Ricky

Tactical light

I have a weapon mounted light on my handgun. It is VERY bright, if someone is in the dark and I light them up they won't be focusing on anything real soon. It also has the ability to strobe which is even more disorienting. I like that I have one convenient package, I can have a free hand should I need it. As for not giving the BG a light as a target, my guess is if he is trying to shoot into a bright light, he's using un-aimed fire. Holding the light off to the side (which feels awkward for me ) he might hit you anyway.
I would not be moving through my house with the light on and would only turn the light on to identify a possible target.
Old January 2, 2012, 08:17 PM   #47
45_auto

Quote:
It is VERY bright, if someone is in the dark and I light them up they won't be focusing on anything real soon.
Are you going to light up the center of the room, the left or the right first?

How do you know exactly where the bad guy is and where he's looking so you can shine it in his eyes before you turn on your light?
Old January 2, 2012, 08:42 PM   #48
Ricky

Tactical light

I keep a low wattage light on in the living room, my house is not pitch black. There is enough light anywhere in the house to see if there is a person there. The tac light would be to identify that person. I figure about 1/2 second for me to decide to shoot or not. If I don't know that person I will shoot until there is no more threat.
Old January 2, 2012, 08:51 PM   #49
ak2323

I'm a big believer in passive security when it comes to home invasions. An alarm system with a deafening siren, motion activated lights, re-enforced door frames and decent locks, 3 strong dogs...

If you can get through all that without breaking a sweat then you're part of a trained hit team and we're probably screwed.

If, as is more likely, you're Jethrow, Cleetus, and Billy Bob drunk and high on meth - you're going to announce your presence well ahead of time.

Old January 2, 2012, 08:57 PM   #50
Ricky

Dog

I have an old Labrador retriever. He won't bite but he'll bark. I really don't think anyone is getting inside the house without me knowing about it.