The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 30, 2011, 06:56 PM   #1
Glockfan35

Spare reloads and BUGs for civilians

This is simply a curiosity, nothing more. Whether you carry an automatic or a revolver or both, single-stack or double-stack. How many spare reloads and/or backup weapons do you typically carry on a daily basis? I carry a Glock 26 inside the waistband with the included spare mag. Both mags are kept fully loaded, and I carry in condition one at all times. I can also throw my .38 revolver in for good measure if I think it might be needed or if I'm gonna be somewhere that the Glock won't work. Even then, if I'm packing the wheelgun, I've always got at least one speedloader on me. I live in a rural area where our biggest crimes are probably drug-related, so typically I wouldn't be underprepared if I only had one or the other. The revolver works great for ankle carry, which if I'm seated (driving, etc.) works great. I generally carry the Glock where I can get to it fairly easily, even while behind the wheel, buckled in and all. I'm just trying to gauge how most of you feel towards civilians carrying spares (reloads or guns).
Old April 30, 2011, 07:04 PM   #2
lawnboy

I do not currently carry a BUG. I do carry a spare mag. In a mag pouch on my belt.

I have carried a BUG in the past. Currently I don't have a suitable gun for this. If I had one I probably would carry it at least part of the time. I'd ankle it.

I think a spare mag (or more) is a good idea and nearly a necessity. I think a BUG is a good idea but probably not as necessary.

"A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her"-- W.C Fields
Old April 30, 2011, 07:04 PM   #3
Glenn E. Meyer

A common thread BUT if you call someone who does carry a BUG or extra mag - paranoid or make another insulting comment, it is at your peril.

That's a hint.

Ok, the reason for such is basically malfunction or being disarmed. Perhaps a low probability event but it does happen.
Old April 30, 2011, 07:13 PM   #4
AK103K

I usually carry a double reload, and more often than not, a BUG that uses the same mags as well.
Old April 30, 2011, 07:14 PM   #5
armoredman

Spare mags always, + BUG when I can.
Old April 30, 2011, 07:30 PM   #6
hoytinak

I never carry a BUG or a spare mag.
Old April 30, 2011, 08:04 PM   #7
Mobuck

An extra mag on me and two in the vehicle. That's 60 rounds and if I think I need more, I'll carry an AR in the Jeep. This in a rural area so the AR is not any more out of line than a BUG in the city.
Old April 30, 2011, 08:18 PM   #8
dpetreikis

My preferred carry lately seems to be a Glock 23 on the strong-side hip, a reload on the off side and sometimes a Glock 27 in an ankle holster. Occasionally I might mix things up and toss a mouse gun into the mix, usually to replace one of the other guns, depending on the day and my mood.
Old April 30, 2011, 08:20 PM   #9
L_Killkenny

Think I'll take Glenn's advice and slowly back away from the laptop........
Old April 30, 2011, 08:32 PM   #10
BGutzman

No matter the semiauto I always carry two spare mags....
Old April 30, 2011, 08:42 PM   #11
glock20c

I never carry a BUG or a spare mag. same here...glock 20c with 16rds...
Old April 30, 2011, 08:54 PM   #12
Glenn Dee

I usually carry a 5 shot .38, with two speed strips. One in either front pocket.

If I believe myself to be going in harms way I'll usually gun-up with a larger firearm. Full sized revolver or semi. Then my EDC 5 shot would become something of a back-up.

When carrying a semi I always carry a spare mag.
Old April 30, 2011, 09:22 PM   #13
Crazy88Fingers

I'll carry a speed strip for my 5-shot .44 if I have some extra pocket room. Otherwise, I trust those 5 .44 slugs to deliver me from evil.

I consider my main carry piece to be my backup for when all else fails, so I don't feel a need for a BUG.
Old April 30, 2011, 09:37 PM   #14
shootniron

For my normal every day preparedness, I carry a j-frame with a Safariland reload in my off-pocket. If I am breaking my usual routine, I will take one of the 1911's with a spare mag.....never a bug.
Old April 30, 2011, 09:44 PM   #15
LouCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_Killkenny View Post
Think I'll take Glenn's advice and slowly back away from the laptop........
I'm with you...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tablet using Tapatalk Pro.
Old April 30, 2011, 10:16 PM   #16
Deja vu

Because of the cloths I have to wear and the tasks I do at work I am pretty much limited to pocket carry.

I Carry by j-frame in my right pocket and a speed loader in the left pocket.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old April 30, 2011, 11:00 PM   #17
ClydeFrog

2nd guns, spare pistol magazines, speed strips...

I normally do not carry a BUG/2nd gun either on security details or concealed but I would if it was required.
I would carry at least 2 pistol magazines & or a few Bianchi/Tuff Products speed strips(for .38spl/.357magnum revolvers). Spare rounds or magazines may not be needed but malfunctions/problems may occur.

One little hint some revolver users have is to put 2 .38/.357 speed strips inside a Altoids mint case.
I've done it a few times & it does work very well.

ClydeFrog
Old April 30, 2011, 11:55 PM   #18
TenRing

If you need to depend on a tool, you should try to be prepared for failure of that tool whether it is a computer, stethoscope, pair of pliers or a gun. If it is important to have one, then you will eventually need two.

I carry a reload most of the time and a BUG maybe half the time depending on where I'm going. To minimize weight, I won't usually carry a reload when carrying a BUG. According to my thinking, two loaded guns beat one loaded gun and a pocketful of ammo. Most civilians will never be in a gunfight that lasts longer than a few seconds. Chances are that you won't have time to reload but the reload or NY reload is always good to have.

I was a Boy Scout so you know what my motto is.
Old April 30, 2011, 11:59 PM   #19
hk45ctp30

I carry an HK45CT as my primary carry pistol with the 8 round magazine in it for concealed carry. I then carry a 10 round extended magazine on my left side next to my cell phone if needed. I do not carry a BUG. I used to before I retired from my LE job but don't anymore.
Old May 1, 2011, 12:01 AM   #20
armsmaster270

It never hurts to have a backup magazine or gun in case Mr. Murphy rears his ugly head. If you have it and never use it you have lost nothing. If you don't have it and need it it is too late to go get it. This is for anyone that carries a weapon Police or civilian.

I carry this always.

Old May 1, 2011, 04:39 AM   #21
Kreyzhorse

I never carry a BUG but occasionally carry a reload in the form of a dump pouch or spare mag. More often than not however, I do not carry a reload.
Old May 1, 2011, 09:34 AM   #22
LarryFlew

no bug. Reload if carrying my Kimber, no reload if carrying CZ 9mm
Old May 1, 2011, 09:54 AM   #23
MadHatter1

Spare magazine, always. Not because I'm worried about round count, but because magazine failure is a leading cause of stoppage in semi automatic firearms. It doesn't matter if the magazine holds 6 or 19 rounds, if it fails, you're done.
BUG, on occasion. No real ryhme or reason to when and where
Old May 1, 2011, 02:05 PM   #24
Glockfan35

TenRing, I'm with you;

The Boy Scout motto is a primary reason I carry in the first place. The BUGs and spare reloads are just my way of helping to make sure I come out on top when the bullets start flying. I know that more than likely, one gun is all I'll probably ever need, but if I can conceal a second gun, plus its reload(s), then why not? Might actually help get me out of a bad situation, alive, someday !
Old May 1, 2011, 02:22 PM   #25
Nanuk

I always carry 2 extra mags for my primary. Right now that is an H&K P2K .40 S&W. I usually carry a bug and one reload.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

Tags
bug's , ccw , overkill , preparedness , spare reloads