The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 28, 2010, 12:24 AM   #1
TheKlawMan

Buy a Remington Tactical/sell breacher choke

I am trying to talk myself into laying down the bucks for a Remington 870 Tactical. ($430 after rebate) It would be for home defense and killing plastic bottles. Maybe I would add a long barrel and try skeet or birds.

If I get it, I don't think I want the ported external breacher tube. Will I have much trouble sellling it or the 2 shell magazine extension?

Perhaps I should keep the mag extension. My concern is weight and, correct me if I am wrong, but if I get rid of the extension would I need a shorter magazine folower spring (or cut the one I have) and a new magazine cap. Perhaps more is involved.

I am mainly interested in the Tactical becuase it seems to fit me best with my eye focused about a quarter inch above the top of the receiver throught the GRS. I also like the idea of being able to use choke tubes say if I ever wanted to try to hunt with it. Unsure if it would be good for non-winged critters.

Any thoughts.
Old December 28, 2010, 08:19 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

There's a few 870 models that need less changes than this, but it's your money.

One option would be a turkey 870 with that 21" barrel.

To go from a tac'd gun to a sporter would require a longer, Remchoked barrel, a new mag cap and spring. Switching takes maybe 5 minutes. 4 shots is way more than most folks need for HD. It's defending from a perp or two, not The Battle For Hue.

Mag extensions add weight, thus slowing the gun. In trained hands, a stock 870 is rattlesnake fast.

If possible, try a few models to see what works for you.....
Old December 28, 2010, 10:38 AM   #3
TheKlawMan

Dave McC. I hear you. I liked the sights but it is kind of over kill. I asked about a plain vanilla 5 shot and they were out. I think I will look around and maybe have one ordered. Supposedly the newer 870s are coming with predrilled receivers and I would like to have that if I decide to add GRS, which I may decide I need like another hole in the head. Anyway, the Remingon w GRS seems to fit me best.

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...ic-18inch.aspx
Old December 28, 2010, 12:48 PM   #4
TheKlawMan

Dave McC : I am looking around for a basic Express short barrel and wondering if I shouldn't take the deal on the 6+1 Big 5 is selling as the "Security" for $349 if I can't get a basic 4+1 for a decent price. It would cost me more to order one online and pay the FFL and I imagine I can trade the factory extension and spring to someone wanting the big gun. I kind of want to act now, and get the $30 rebate. Besides, I want a toy. Does this sound doable?

Oh yeah. The guy at Turners, a local guns store chain, said all the new 870 receivers are coming drilled and tapped. It would be nice to have it if that is so. Of course he didn't have the 4+1 in stock. I am going to call around and see if anyone has it like that. The big 5 receivers are not drilled and tapped.

{I just checked with someone at another Turners. Only the recievers on some tactical models come predrilled and tapped. They don't have any basic filed guns with short barrels. All there short barrels are set up as defensive guns. If they have one left in their chain, they might have an 870 with a 28" and then I would hhave to pick up a short barrel (which is much less costly that a 28. Same price as the Big 5 short barrel with the extended magazine. I think I will get off the pot.)

Last edited by TheKlawMan; December 28, 2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old December 28, 2010, 01:19 PM   #5
Homerboy

You should have no trouble selling the mag extension, clamp, and mag spring on this forum, and they will bring you more cash than a 4 capacity mag spring and mag cap will cost you.
Old December 28, 2010, 01:27 PM   #6
TheKlawMan

Thanks Homerboy. That was what I thought and at the same time someone else will be getting a good deal.
Old December 28, 2010, 11:17 PM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

A plain jane short barrelled 870 covers lots of bases in trained hands. Maybe start there and then diversify.
Old December 29, 2010, 12:17 AM   #8
TheKlawMan

Tried to buy a plain Jane at Big 5. Called and was told they would order me one during the waiting period and I drove out 2 hours later. The guy waiting on me was almost grumpy and told me that no one named James had worked there for a while, when I said I had talked with him on the phone. The guy started to write up a sale on a model with a 20" barrrel with an 8 shell mag that cost $10 more than the one I told him I wanted. I called the house and confirmed that this was the same store location I called and the up pops Jaimy and he rememberd the call. The manager was now gone and he is the only one that knows how to sell a gun that isn't in stock so I have to come back. I have yet to shoulder a short barrel 870 with only a bead but the longer and heavier 20 inch model seemed to fit pretty well.

BTW, Big 5 puses a 10% discount coupon if you sign up for email. After you get it you find out it isn't good for firearms or ammo.
Old December 29, 2010, 08:02 AM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I'll buy ammo from the big box stores but my guns get bought at local gun shops for reasons you just described.

The HD 870 here has a 18" plus a skosh barrel. The backup 870 doubles as a venison acquisition tool and has a 20" barrel. There's little if any difference in effectiveness between the twain.

I cannot feel much difference between short barrels. OTOH, the feel varies between the 26" LC barrel and the 30" sibling I use for field work. YMMV.
Old December 29, 2010, 08:51 AM   #10
uzimon

get you a used 870 for about 2 bills and build it up how you like it. it's what i did
Old December 29, 2010, 08:02 PM   #11
TheKlawMan

I pulled the pin on a new Remington 870 7 shot and now to sweat out the 10 day wait.

Tags
870 tactical , breacher , choke