The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 23, 2000, 01:09 AM   #1
Battler

I've had the gun apart before (probably how I got this) - but I'm comfortable dismantling/reassembling (yes I hit the handle with a soft hammer to open).

My trigger has side-side wobble - if pulled hard to the right the cylinder "hand" jams up a bit, to the left DA pull is smooth. I just need to stop the trigger wobble to make DA reliably smooth.

Revolver's fine otherwise, everything works great (with trigger in right position).

I'm sure someone on here knows how to deal with this - do I shim this? Where do I place the shims?

And (most importantly) - from whom can I order these shims?

thanks,
Battler.

Old March 23, 2000, 07:56 AM   #2
Daniel Watters

Brownells carries a line of purpose-made shims from gunsmith Ron Power. Below is the stock number for the trigger shims. These fit over the trigger's pivot pin, and you sandwich one above and below the trigger.

713-050-002 Power Sideplate Shims-Model #2 $17.99
Old March 23, 2000, 10:15 AM   #3
Battler

Thanks! (I'm liking this "Smithy" forum already )

Mr. Watters: Have you used these before? I take it that they sound like the answer to my little problem here. . . .

Is it worth buying the hammer shims also? This is for one 686 BTW, I'm not in the smithing business, so any "leftovers" will remain unused for quite some time. I am not having a problem with the hammer that I'm trying to correct; but it may be worth it if it smooths things up a bit more. . .

Do these types of shims represent the bulk of what smiths do to smooth the trigger pull? (I guess polishing sears/rubbing parts is done too; but I'm not going to go there!!)

thanks,
Battler.

Old March 23, 2000, 04:19 PM   #4
Daniel Watters

Yes, I have the Power hammer and trigger shims in my 686 Power Port. The hammer was the main offender, and before the installation, you could watch it waver side to side during the DA stroke. However, not all S&W revolvers need them. In well-fit examples, the additional width of the shims can cause binding.

The shims alone certainly will not replace a proper action tuning, but they do serve their purpose when required.

Old March 24, 2000, 10:34 AM   #5
Riss

If you have left overs I will buy them. I too have the same problem. Biggest problem is what to do with the leftover shims. If you get them and have leftovers let me know.

------------------
An X is still an X with a Quarter Inch group at 100 yards
With a Quarter Inch Group on the keyboard an X could be - Z,S,D, or C.
I am a quarter inch typist - Please excuse the errors!