The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 15, 2002, 02:27 AM   #1
Mark Benningfield

Baikul Coach Gun

Hello All.

Just got my new Russian Baikul 12 ga. Coach Gun, 20" barrels with ejectors, concealed hammers. Now, my druthers would have me buy a Ruger Gold Label, but until they get a job and pay $2000 for the thing, they'll have to be quiet about it. The point I'm getting at (yes, there is one) is that this looks to be quite a bit better gun than I thought it would be for $200. It locks up like a bank vault, has pretty fair ejections for a short-break breech-loader, and the finish looks great. Now, I know that the test will be 500 shells from now, but I'm thinking, do good quality doubles HAVE to be so expensive? Let me know what you think. Thanks.

NRA, GOA, KABA
Old December 15, 2002, 02:38 AM   #2
sm

My only experience with Baikul is the 12 bore SXS that has the option of having a 45-70 in one bore. Whoa Nellie!
I too was impressed with fit and finish, the gun shot very well, and with the 45-70 -very very accurate! Yes I cheated and used a PAST recoil pad
I don't recall the price, but surprised me being so affordable with this option. Gunsmith did a trigger job, to smooth a bit. It fills a very special niche.

So I think you "done good", go out and get her broke in.
Old December 15, 2002, 06:51 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Higher priced doubles, Mark, are more likely to shoot the shot from both bbls to the same Zip Code.If so, with your loads of choice, and if you can shoot it confortably(Good fit) and well(Good form), and it still functions a K or two of shells down the road, it's one H*ll of a deal.

That's a lot of IFs. Good luck and let us know how it goes....
Old December 15, 2002, 07:52 PM   #4
gordo b.

Ive had a Baikal coach gun since 1975! Mine has outside hammers and a cross bolt(kerstin) extra lock . It has been there and done that, it has imp cyl and modified 20 inch barrels and they both hit EXactly over each other. This howitzer throws SG buck shot in 18 inchs or less at 30 yrds from mod barrell. It is the ultimate "luparra". It is as tight as new after 1500(!) full power shells, the triggers are alittle light and the hammers pull back a little heavy.