The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 15, 2013, 12:48 PM   #26
deepcreek

When the guy in black repels down the 150floor sky scrapper in Die Hard 7 that's tactical. If he could clip it,hand it of attach it to his black suit it is tactical.
Old April 15, 2013, 12:49 PM   #27
zincwarrior

Quote:
I'm confused as I see pink EBRs and assault semiautomatic handgun for sale.

They aren't tactical?

At IDPA matches, we see folks who aren't in the military or law show up in rigs that look like space commandos from the Galactic Patrol - they are tactical.
Old April 15, 2013, 04:05 PM   #28
oldgunsmith

There seem to be a lot of guys out there that just wouldn't be comfortable playing Johnny Commando with something that doesn't say Tactical on it.
Old April 16, 2013, 07:56 AM   #29
Madcap_Magician

Paint it black. Call it tactical. Sell it to cops, soldiers, and people who want to be or at least pretend to be cops or soldiers.
Old April 16, 2013, 10:08 AM   #30
Doyle

Quote:
and people who want to be or at least pretend to be cops or soldiers
AKA Mall Ninjas
Old April 16, 2013, 10:31 AM   #31
eldermike

Its foolishness.
Old April 16, 2013, 02:59 PM   #32
SIGSHR

In 1898 an M1892 or M1896 Krag, a Trapdoor Springfield and an M1893 Mauser were all "tactical."
Old April 17, 2013, 07:36 PM   #33
Big-Blue

Hmm, a lot of strong feelings on this topic. It didn't occur to me the word tactical might be a code word for "wannabes." What I was actually expecting to hear back is that it was a gun with a rail, was camo colored, and possibly had notches in the grip.

Thanks,
Old April 17, 2013, 08:53 PM   #34
shouldazagged

Check out the Bud K catalog. It'll give you a whole new understanding of "tactical" as a marketing aid.
Old April 18, 2013, 08:15 PM   #35
Mannlicher

like others, I am not sure what tactical means. Maybe it is related to 'combative'?

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old April 19, 2013, 06:19 PM   #36
Dalek

Honestly...having sold firearms and accessories, I consider it nothing more than a marketing gimmick.

No offense to anyone.
Old April 19, 2013, 07:00 PM   #37
Tuzo

This is tactical: My son carried a Beretta M9 (military 92F) in Iraq.

This is untactical: My son shoots a Beretta 92F (civilian M9) at the local shooting range.
Old April 20, 2013, 07:30 PM   #38
craZivn

A friend once referred to my Maxpedition backpack as a "tactical packpack." So I hit him.

I hate using the word at all to refer to gear or weapons because it's meaning is really lost. I refer to anything that has rails or MOLLE webbing as "military-style", because that's what it is.

The military of the world select gear based on practicality, toughness and affordability. So do I. Turns out, we end up with gear that has a lot of similar features. I call it military-style. Maybe they should call it Ivan-style.

Ivan
Old April 21, 2013, 02:26 PM   #39
buck460XVR

Quote:
What does "tactical" refer to?

......not me.
Old April 21, 2013, 05:28 PM   #40
Fishing_Cabin

Quote:
What does "tactical" refer to?
I have no idea what "tactical" really is...I have seen the term added to almost everything...Firearms, ammo, gear, clothing, tents, even food (CMMG tactical bacon anyone?)

In all honesty, the only thing I have yet to see referred to as tactical yet is a piddle pack. Now that I mention it, someone will probably point one out somewhere.

I do avoid 99.9% of the stuff marked "tactical" just because there isnt anything special about it, just silly marketing
Old April 21, 2013, 06:10 PM   #41
SPEMack618

Several of the guys in the squad took to calling my map case "my tactical manbag."

I responded that it wasn't black, so I couldn't be tactical.

I joke with my sister that her North Face purse is tactical because it is black and has a zippered pouch where she carries two spare magazines.
Old April 21, 2013, 07:43 PM   #42
oldgael

tactics-- tactical

The science and art of disposing and maneuvering forces in combat 2: the art and skill of using available means to reach an end. So what ever gun I use in a defensive mode, be ss or blue or black becomes a tactical weapon.
This is my opinion according to Webster. Also it puts a much higher price on the gun if and when I sell it.
Old April 21, 2013, 08:37 PM   #43
Crankgrinder

the truth is is somebody says "tactical" in a conversation to me ill probably think "armchair commando" most of the time depending on the context. Most military folks i know dont really use that word.
Old April 24, 2013, 07:51 AM   #44
Skans

"Tactical" will be the new term Gun-Banner's will use in the next wave of anti-gun legislation. When the term "assault weapon" gets old and tired, they will switch their rhetoric toward "tactical weapons".

So, "Tactical" is now just one of those words that can mean just about anything. But what it originally meant was:

of or relating to combat tactics:
(1) of or occurring at the battlefront "a tactical defense"; "a tactical first strike" (2) : using or being weapons or forces employed at the battlefront "tactical missiles"
Old April 24, 2013, 08:26 AM   #45
KCampbell

Re: What does "tactical" refer to?

Tactical,Combat or Fighting are all sort of the same it depends on who's buying it as to what they call it.Mall Ninjas buy or bolt on "accessories" and call them tactical.
Old April 24, 2013, 10:12 AM   #46
Gaerek

Here's my favorite Tactical Product:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/c399/
Old April 24, 2013, 10:22 AM   #47
MLeake

Crankgrinder, normally if "tactical" comes up in conversation, it is with regard to command and control (tactical vs operational vs administrative control) or plans (tactical vs operational vs strategic). The only weapons one usually hears distinguished as "tactical" would be shorter range, lower KT nukes...
Old April 24, 2013, 04:33 PM   #48
pcb911

Under "Incident Command", strategy is establishing plans to accomplish a final goal. Tactics are the means to impliment strategy.

Several times a commander has announced he is going "tactical" on the fireground when his crew are first and other trucks are still minutes away. He has determined the strategy and at this point he becomes the means to impliment putting out the fire. He and the water are working together.

Also, under ICS, there is a division under command for tactics. They figure what is best tool and command uses their suggestions.

You should always have a plan to win. And I always felt I had the "tactical" advantage with a bigger hose or gun.