The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 14, 2015, 07:21 AM   #1
ligonierbill

Good basic 1911

Don't have one . So I can't call my collection complete, right? Now, if you put "1911" into the Gunbroker search, you get over 100 pages of listings. I guess they are kinda popular. So, if a guy wanted one that was:
  • Wood and blued (just cause)
  • Lower end of the price range
  • US manufacture (OK, they can import parts)
  • MIM is fine (I was a metallurgist when I made an honest living)
what, say, 3 pistols should he look at?
Old May 14, 2015, 07:25 AM   #2
WVsig

When you say lower end price you mean?

$400-$600 or $601-$800?
Old May 14, 2015, 07:27 AM   #3
tallball

The cheapest ones, which are quite functional, come from Turkey and the Philippines. They are around $500.

Last edited by tallball; May 14, 2015 at 04:12 PM.
Old May 14, 2015, 07:30 AM   #4
ligonierbill

$800 - $1,200
Old May 14, 2015, 07:34 AM   #5
WVsig

Colt 80 Series You can get one for about $700

Colt 70 Series. You can get one for about $800 + shipping to your FFL.

Colt 70 Series Gold Cup can get this one for about $1250.

Old May 14, 2015, 07:56 AM   #6
David spargenator

Look at rugers 1911s. Very well made and affordable
Old May 14, 2015, 07:57 AM   #7
Urban_Redneck

Series 70* Colt or Springfield.

I'm partial to the Springfield Range Officer

YMMV

* If for no other reason than it's easier to detail strip/re-assemble.

Last edited by Urban_Redneck; May 14, 2015 at 08:03 AM.
Old May 14, 2015, 07:59 AM   #8
WVsig

Quote:
Look at rugers 1911s. Very well made and affordable
Not blued....
Old May 14, 2015, 07:59 AM   #9
MarkCO

Remington R1. I have seen them for as low as $449 on sale. Usually about $550 or so and they have a $75 rebate through May 31st.
Old May 14, 2015, 09:30 AM   #10
pete2

I'd get a Colt or a Colt or a Colt. I have 3 Colts, a Ruger, a SA, a Kimber and a Citadel. If I could have a do over, all would be Colts except maybe the Citadel, it was 329.00 new from Bud's, couldn't pass it up.
Old May 14, 2015, 10:07 AM   #11
ligonierbill

Thanks all. I'll be looking at Colts. I have a few, but only one is a bottom feeder (Model of 1903).
Old May 14, 2015, 10:28 AM   #12
lee n. field

Quote:
Don't have one . So I can't call my collection complete, right? Now, if you put "1911" into the Gunbroker search, you get over 100 pages of listings. I guess they are kinda popular. So, if a guy wanted one that was:

Wood and blued (just cause)
Lower end of the price range
US manufacture (OK, they can import parts)
MIM is fine (I was a metallurgist when I made an honest living)

what, say, 3 pistols should he look at?
I would be looking at a Springfield Milspec.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old May 14, 2015, 11:18 AM   #13
mdThanatos

Springfield
Old May 14, 2015, 11:28 AM   #14
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
One of them is far more effective. Guess which one?
Not made in the U.S. (Unless you consider "assembled in the U.S. using parts made in Brazil" as made in the U.S.)

Citadel is also not made in the U.S. They are made by one of the big three 1911 makers in the Philippines.

My vote would be Colt 1991, Colt Series 70, Colt Special Combat Government (or maybe Colt Gold Cup).
Old May 14, 2015, 11:37 AM   #15
RickB

My understanding is that Springfield is no longer buying from Imbel.
The RO that I bought in September has no import markings on it.

For a blued/wood pistol that may be the only 1911 you ever own, definitely Colt.
Old May 14, 2015, 11:58 AM   #16
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I have not heard that Springfield no longer buys from Imbel, but it's possible. However, even when SA was buying from Imbel, the lower-end guns (the GIs and Mil-Specs, for the most part) were completely built in Brazil and imported as completed firearms. They were marked "Made in Brazil." The higher end models used frames and slides (and some other parts, I believe) made by Imbel in BRazil, but the parts were shipped loose and final assembly was done by SA in the U.S. The government's rules are that if more than 50 percent of the work is performed in the U.S., the product can be labeled "Made in U.S.A."

Which means that manufacturers can play all sorts of games about how to justify that whatever work they do in the U.S. represents more than 50 percent of the total.

I have a 1988 Jeep Cherokee. The engine and some other parts were made in Canada. The transmission, fuel injection, and ignition system were made in France. The glass was all made in Mexico. But it's an "American" vehicle. I had a 1993 Honda. The body, the glass, the electronics, even the tires and battery were made in the U.S. (Marysville, OH), but the engine, transaxle and drive train were made in Japan and shipped to Ohio as completed sub-assemblies. Even though American labor actually did more work on the Honda than on the Jeep, the Honda was classified as a Japanese vehicle.
Old May 14, 2015, 12:24 PM   #17
TfflHndn

Remington R-1 Enhanced. Good piece of gear.
Old May 14, 2015, 12:36 PM   #18
ttarp

Auto Ordnance apparently has improved their Q/C since Kahr took over, they're competitively priced with the Filipino guns and made in USA. Mine hasn't stumbled yet.
Old May 14, 2015, 12:37 PM   #19
jasmith85

I would go with a Colt as well. In fact, a Colt 1911 is on my list of guns that I want to purchase.
Old May 14, 2015, 12:37 PM   #20
UZO

Springfield Mil-Spec or Colt (1991-80 series)...
The SA Mil-Spec can be had usually for under $600... and Colt for about $700.
Both are excellent pistolas... the SA would be a great start for the $$s. Had one for years... flawless, accurate shoot plus SA is one of the best companies to deal with (as is COLT) if any problems do occur. Have several Colts, and would not sell them!
Bottom-line... Won't go wrong with either!
Old May 14, 2015, 12:58 PM   #21
johnwilliamson062

I think some things can be labeled "Made in USA" even if they are not 50% depending what country they are made in. I think as some trade/defense agreements certain countries, mostly geographically close poor allies, contribute a percentage of their work to the count. As an example not based in fact, say work in a South American Country counts as 50%. Product 75% made in Honduras and 25% in the US. That would be 62.5% "Made in the USA"
Old May 14, 2015, 01:22 PM   #22
RickB

Quote:
I have not heard that Springfield no longer buys from Imbel, but it's possible. However, even when SA was buying from Imbel, the lower-end guns (the GIs and Mil-Specs, for the most part) were completely built in Brazil and imported as completed firearms. They were marked "Made in Brazil." The higher end models used frames and slides (and some other parts, I believe) made by Imbel in BRazil, but the parts were shipped loose and final assembly was done by SA in the U.S. The government's rules are that if more than 50 percent of the work is performed in the U.S., the product can be labeled "Made in U.S.A."

Which means that manufacturers can play all sorts of games about how to justify that whatever work they do in the U.S. represents more than 50 percent of the total.

I have a 1988 Jeep Cherokee. The engine and some other parts were made in Canada. The transmission, fuel injection, and ignition system were made in France. The glass was all made in Mexico. But it's an "American" vehicle. I had a 1993 Honda. The body, the glass, the electronics, even the tires and battery were made in the U.S. (Marysville, OH), but the engine, transaxle and drive train were made in Japan and shipped to Ohio as completed sub-assemblies. Even though American labor actually did more work on the Honda than on the Jeep, the Honda was classified as a Japanese vehicle.
Yeah, I'm aware of all the speculation about the significance of serial number prefixes, etc.
I had a G.I. with no import marks, just about the same time I learned that G.I.s were being imported as complete guns. My speculation was that Springfield maintained supplies of partially-completed frames that could be completed in-house to fill whatever quota was scheduled.
That's why there were imported Loaded models, but non-import G.I.s and Mil-Specs.
Apparently, no new Springfields have import marks, but that still doesn't mean they are "made" in the U.S.
My MINI was "made" in England, but most of the warning labels under the hood are in German. Some of the new ones, even though festooned with Union Jack symbolism, are made almost entirely in Austria. So it goes.
Old May 14, 2015, 02:30 PM   #23
psyfly

Yep. There are a lot of good 1911s out there.

But, for my first one, I'd make it a Colt.

Everybody should have a Colt 1911

Then you can experiment: It's not as if the Colt is going to insist on being your one and only .

I have a Colt which accompanies me sometimes.

But my CCW in .45 is a Para-Ordnance. My Colt(s) never complain .

W.
Old May 14, 2015, 04:17 PM   #24
Armybrat

First choice make it a Colt.

The Remington R1 is a good gun for the price. GrabaGun has them for $539 + $6 shipping, and there is a factory $75 cash rebate:

http://grabagun.com/rem-1911-45acp-5...lnt-2-mgs.html

The R1 I bought last Fall was made in NY, but read that as of April they are being made in Birmingham, Alabama.

Old May 14, 2015, 04:27 PM   #25
Nathan

Colt 1991

Springfield Loaded

Remington R1

Notice I didn't say Kmber.