The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old August 9, 2013, 08:13 PM   #1
FloridaGuy

New to C&R Guns

Well I received my C&R License two week ago. I made about 30 copies of it and put the original in the safe for safe keeping. I opened a dealer account with MidwayUSA and an account with Southern Ohio Guns.

I have a couple of questions.

Any suggestions of other places to open an account with?

Are there any reloading places that provide discounts if you have a FFL C&R?

What Gun should I look at for my first purchase? Currently I mostly shoot handguns.

I was looking at a Chinese SKS but was told that they are very poor shooting guns and I would be very disappointed with it. I may still purchase one just to have it in my collection.

Authorized Blackhound Optics Dealer www.blackhoundoptics.com/CWFT
Old August 9, 2013, 08:40 PM   #2
kilimanjaro

Sarco, Inc., and Classic Firearms. Classic has M44 Mosin carbines right now at a great price. Get them before they're gone, words of wisdom, my lips to your ears.

Gunbroker Auctions, you can search 'C&R', they'll all come up.

I have a Chinese SKS, it's a good shooter. Not a match rifle, but a good semi-auto battle rifle, what it was designed to be.

The SKS rifles we are seeing now in the surplus industry is the last of them, in my opinion.
Old August 9, 2013, 08:47 PM   #3
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Any suggestions of other places to open an account with?
Here is a link to a previous thread with lots of suggestions.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528893

Quote:
Are there any reloading places that provide discounts if you have a FFL C&R?
Graf & Sons
http://www.grafs.com/

Quote:
What Gun should I look at for my first purchase? Currently I mostly shoot handguns.
What I see advertised by distributers as in-stock
CZ82
P64
Walther P1
Yugo model 57 (Tokarev variant)
Romanian Tokarev

And of course a Mosin-Nagant rifle.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old August 9, 2013, 11:11 PM   #4
DennisCA

Here's some suggestions

Some food for thought:

Left to Right:
MN 91-30 Izzy
MN 91-30 Izzy (Laminate)
Finn M39
Enfield No 4 Mk 1
Yugo 24/47
Polish M44

Steyr M95

The ones in bold I recommend you should get, the only reason I don't recommend the steyr m95 is because:
1 - the recoil is BRUTAL, worse than a M44
2 - the ammo is not cheap but avail

IMHO - Stick with reputable dealers, all though I've gotten several from a private buyers.

Last edited by DennisCA; August 9, 2013 at 11:29 PM.
Old August 10, 2013, 01:30 PM   #5
tahunua001

my chicom SKS is easily under 2 MOA and all I've shot out of it is junk, good ammo could push it to MOA accuracy. don;t believe all the nonsense you hear from a guy behind the gun counter because he's trying to get you to buy an AR15.

if you mostly shoot handguns a tokarev couldn't hurt to be first on the list. I'm more of a vintage bolt action guy myself. enfields and arisakas make very fun guns and are relatively economical though the ammo can get spendy.

of course there is the mosin nagant which is still relatively dirt cheap and still has fairly cheap ammo but don't expect it to be a masterpiece of russian engineering.
Old August 10, 2013, 11:50 PM   #6
kilimanjaro

Aim Surplus now has the Czech Makarov in stock, they look like real nice pieces, for $289. Those won't be around long.
Old August 11, 2013, 01:08 AM   #7
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Aim Surplus now has the Czech Makarov in stock,
???
Do you mean CZ82?
Old August 11, 2013, 06:38 AM   #8
hAkron

New to C&R Guns

Switching to a dealer account at Midway USA isn't a super great deal. The prices are about the same (as in exactly), but they don't allow you to use any promotional codes...I can't really see the benefit. They used to give noticeably better dealer prices.
Old August 11, 2013, 12:32 PM   #9
tahunua001

if you live in CA, NY or chicago it can be an advantage since you wouldn' have to ship to an FFL and pay the transfer fees for a box of bullets.
Old August 14, 2013, 12:52 PM   #10
SteveBonning

Personally, I like to keep my collection limited to guns that shoot modern ammo or at least readily-available, since I don't reload. If you reload, then the sky's the limit.

With that in mind, I would recommend the following pistols;

1. CZ-82; great gun, 12-rnd magazine and 9mm Mak ammo readily avail.
2. Any model Tokarev; shoots the 7.62 x 25 round that's unlike any other
3. Walther P38/P1; nice piece of history in 9mm luger
4. Beretta Model 1951; another high-quality steel gun in 9mm luger
5. Polish P-64; great little conceal gun, inexpensive mm Mak
6. Argentine Sistema Colt; 1911 style in .45 ACP

as for rifles, there's plenty to choose from depending on your collecting/shooting philosophy such as;

1. Chinese/Russian SKS
2. Lee Enfield #4 Mk 1
3. Mosin Nagant
4. Chinese Type 53
and many, many more.
Old August 14, 2013, 08:35 PM   #11
tahunua001

Quote:
Personally, I like to keep my collection limited to guns that shoot modern ammo or at least readily-available, since I don't reload. If you reload, then the sky's the limit.

With that in mind, I would recommend the following pistols;

1. CZ-82; great gun, 12-rnd magazine and 9mm Mak ammo readily avail.
2. Any model Tokarev; shoots the 7.62 x 25 round that's unlike any other
3. Walther P38/P1; nice piece of history in 9mm luger
4. Beretta Model 1951; another high-quality steel gun in 9mm luger
5. Polish P-64; great little conceal gun, inexpensive mm Mak
6. Argentine Sistema Colt; 1911 style in .45 ACP

as for rifles, there's plenty to choose from depending on your collecting/shooting philosophy such as;

1. Chinese/Russian SKS
2. Lee Enfield #4 Mk 1
3. Mosin Nagant
4. Chinese Type 53
and many, many more.
I find a lot of things wrong with this but I'll settle on a few points.
1. first you say you want something that shoots a standard, modern, readily available round THEN proceed to recommend 9 MAK and 7.62 tok? neither are modern or readily available outside of big box stores and even then availibility can be hit or miss. the surplus on tokarevs went down the tank when when the price of 7.62x39 matched 5.56 and people started looking for cheap alternatives. now all that's around outside of a few lucky grabs is sellier and bellot and not readily available anywhere except online orders.

2. 30 tokarev like no other? apparently you have never heard of 30 mauser used in the C96 broom stick. both are very similar though tokarev is hotter and is not safe to fire in 30 mauser chambers.

3. you recommend mosin nagant and chinese type 53 as if they are mutually exclusive. mosin nagant is the colloquial name for any of a family of communist rifles that are based on the 1891 design. 1891, 91/30, M28(finnish), M38, M39(finnish), M44, type 53(chinese) and 91/59 are all mosin nagants and all chambered in 7.62x54R which brings me to my next point.

4. 7.62x54R is not a modern cartridge. it's been around for over a century and more than 80% of what you see is all surplus. once that surplus runs out you will be in the same boat as the tokarev. with the exception of sellier and bellot, wolf/grizzly, and seasonal runs of hornady match grade ammo(prohibitively expensive for most) there is not a lot out there and given the much larger number of mosin owners than tokarev owners ammo availibility will be even worse off.
Old August 15, 2013, 10:56 AM   #12
Cheapshooter

Quote:
1. first you say you want something that shoots a standard, modern, readily available round THEN proceed to recommend 9 MAK and 7.62 tok?
I think the poster meant "currently produced" by the use of the word "modern". As opposed to surplus guns chambered in rounds like 7.5X54 French, 7.5X55 Swiss, and 8X56R Hungarian that are or have been on the C&R market.
Old August 17, 2013, 09:07 AM   #13
HankC1

Send your C&R to Century so you can buy C&R, You-Fix-Them and gun parts directly from them. C&Rs not necessarily cheaper but many good deal on parts and You-Fix.
Old August 23, 2013, 09:26 AM   #14
gandog56

Well, if you need parts or reloading supplies, Midwayusa, Graf And Sons, and Numrich have dealer discounts if they have your C&R on file. And example of what you can save.

Graf and Sons 7.62X54R Lapua Brass $112.19/100

Price with dealer discount.......$99.99
Old September 10, 2013, 10:42 AM   #15
SteveBonning

Quote:
1. first you say you want something that shoots a standard, modern, readily available round THEN proceed to recommend 9 MAK and 7.62 tok?

I think the poster meant "currently produced" by the use of the word "modern". As opposed to surplus guns chambered in rounds like 7.5X54 French, 7.5X55 Swiss, and 8X56R Hungarian that are or have been on the C&R market.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Exactly, I thought anyone could figure that out. If it's being produced it's modern. I have no probs finding Mak ammo

-As to the rifles, I mentioned "according to your collecting/shooting philosophies". Most if not all sellers list the Mosins and the Type 53's separately when selling the guns. I'm not a rifle guy, so I don't care about them, just letting the OP know of the choices he'll see when he's shopping.

-The Tokarev round comment is an opinion for a COMMON handgun round; not everyone has a Broomhandle.

-Any other nit-picking silliness you want to go after?
Old September 11, 2013, 04:35 PM   #16
tahunua001

Quote:
Any other nit-picking silliness you want to go after?
well since you insist
Quote:
all of those cartridges are still produced. 8x56R by hornady and PRVI, 7.5 swiss by a number of firms but PRVI and sellier and bellot are the most readily available that I've seen and 7.5 french by PPU/PRVI.

so even though those are still currently produced, they are not modern cartridges but 9 makarov and 30 tokarev are modern for the reason that they are currently produced by sellier and bellot?
Old October 9, 2013, 04:04 PM   #17
SteveBonning

I said modern AMMO, not cartridges or weapons. If the ammo is produced currently, it is modern. If it was produced 50 years ago, likely it is not.

Sorry for the delay. I spend most of my time on the Maryland Shooters Forum, less of this over there.
Old October 10, 2013, 12:13 PM   #18
Don P

Quote:
Switching to a dealer account at Midway USA isn't a super great deal. The prices are about the same (as in exactly), but they don't allow you to use any promotional codes...I can't really see the benefit. They used to give noticeably better dealer prices.
Received an email from Midway stating they are no longer giving dealer discounts as there prices are SO LOW that there virtually no difference in pricing. I'll pay a little extra at Brownell's and get a 100% lifetime guarantee on EVERYTHING they sell
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old October 11, 2013, 03:47 PM   #19
tahunua001

I'll say again:
all of the AMMO that you said was not modern is still currently produced with similar if not greater availability than the ammo that you said IS Modern because it is currently produced so I fail to see the logic in your opinion of modern ammunition.
Old October 16, 2013, 09:16 PM   #20
rdmallory

Swiss K31 twice the price of a Mosin but 3 times the gun for your money.

Like someone else said P1/P38 9mm.

Doug