The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 11, 2013, 07:28 PM   #1
ejfalvo

XDs ammo issue.

Had the XDs since it became available and shot WWB, Magtech, Remington, Horaday, etc thru it with no problem. Currently run Speer Gold as SD ammo, never a problem with FTE, FTF. Yesterday at the range, saw RWS ( orange and black box) ammo, bought a box and loaded the magazine. Pulled the trigger and first round went fine, then click, click, click. Pulled the mag, looked at the unfired round and there was a good dimple in the primer. Tried it again, same problem. Round one went fine, the nothing. Freaking out, replaced the RWS with Hornaday CD and bang, bang, bang, etc. all the RWS rounds that didn't fire had good, deep dimples where the firing pin struck.

Took the RWS back to the counter to tell them what happened and they said "must be your gun". Anyone else have issues with the RWS ammo or should I be concerned?

Last edited by ejfalvo; April 11, 2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old April 11, 2013, 07:51 PM   #2
highbrow

I also have an XDS. Never tried RWS ammo, hell, have never seen any here. I have not had any problems with any ammo I've tried. If I see RWS ammo, I will pass on it.

There are some corners of this country which have bred the most terrible things, things that act against everything we believe in. They must be fought. FBHO- Free Edward Snowden
Old April 11, 2013, 09:39 PM   #3

Sounds like the RWS rounds had high seated primers. The first strike probably only seated them to the proper depth without igniting. Give them a second strike and they should go off. That will prove the primers weren't properly seated at the factory. If that's not the case, your problem lies elsewhere. Not likely since your other brands of ammo are firing without a hitch.
Old April 11, 2013, 09:44 PM   #4
9mmsnoopy

My xds did the same thing, only with PMC ammo, i had one round in every box of 50 that wouldnt fire and the primers had nice dings in them. Its shot everything else just fine but i havent tried any RWS.
Bushmaster AR15
Old April 11, 2013, 09:44 PM   #5
arizona98tj

ejfalvo.....just curious....are you running the PRP spring kit by any chance?
Old April 12, 2013, 01:14 AM   #6
labhound

I bought a box of .45acp RWS and had light strikes with it in both my Ruger SR45 and my Springfield XD45. Haven't had a problem with either gun with several other brands of ammo. HARD PRIMERS!!! I still have half a box of the stuff and won't be buying any more of it.
Old April 12, 2013, 02:49 AM   #7
ejfalvo

Arizona, just running stock springs.
Old April 12, 2013, 06:37 AM   #8
arizona98tj

Re: XDs ammo issue.

I'm sure you have, but is it safe to say that the striker channel in the slide is clean? No lube is needed there.
Old April 12, 2013, 07:38 AM   #9
Kreyzhorse

If all other ammo shoots fine, then this is simply the RWS ammo. As per one of the posts above, I would be tempted to run them through one more time.

Last edited by Kreyzhorse; April 12, 2013 at 07:47 AM.