The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 22, 2009, 09:05 PM   #1
clockman

250-300 Reloading

Just got my first lever action 250 Savage. It's an older model with a 1 in 14 twist. Since only the 100 Grain bullets are available comercially I want to reload my own using the 87 Grain bullet. Can someone tell me what powder and primers to use to achieve at least 3000 MV? Best place to get it? Thanks to all.
Note: In title I meant 250-3000 of course.
Old May 22, 2009, 09:48 PM   #2
Shoney

clockman
WELCOME TO TFL!!!

I'm not meaning to be rude or flippant in the following comments, only trying to help. By the way you present the question, I am presuming you are relatively new to reloading, and if you have a manual, you should have all that information. As an example, your manual will tell you that you need Large Rifle Primers.

The 87gr bullet can attain 3000fps with several powders. Almost all the loads that canget 3000fps are at max pressure, and may not be suited for your action, especially if it is old.

You should get a good reloading manual to confirm, in hard print, any information you get on the net.

What manual do you currently have?
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old May 22, 2009, 10:03 PM   #3
elkman06

Plus one on what Shoney said, Information,,hard, manual type information is your friend. That coupled with knowing that the best round for your rifle may well not be at 3K speed. Your focus should really be,,,how can I attain the accuracy that I want with this rifle? It might only be around 2800fps.
Good luck w/ your research and welcome. It's very rewarding just reloading and shooting. I got a severe kick out of my first kill w/ one of my reloads.
elkman06

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"
Old May 22, 2009, 11:34 PM   #4
Shoney

Quote:
elkman06 wrote:
I got a severe kick out of my first kill w/ one of my reloads.
What were you shooting? a 470 Nitro Express????????
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old May 23, 2009, 01:28 AM   #5
Scorch

IMR3031 is your friend when loading for the 250 Savage.
Old May 23, 2009, 07:58 AM   #6
antiwhackos

Different action but a good load for me

Clockman, I used reloading info from Speer #7 reloading manual way back when. The load I wound up with was 87 grain Sierra Spitzer with 32 grains of IMR 3031. That is one grain above the starting load and three grains lighter than their MAX load. That should give a velocity around 2800fps. I had good groups with that load so I didn't bother to try hotter loads. No sense in eating up my barrel if I don't have to. Your results will be different because my gun is a bolt action Mauser with an unknown custom barrel in 1:12 twist, 24" long. My MAX OAL to the rifling with the 87 grain Seirra Spitzer is 2.500" If you don't have IMR 3031 available you might try 4320, 4064, 4895....start low and work up. Hope you find some of this info useful. AL
Old May 23, 2009, 09:29 AM   #7
clockman

250-3000 Reloading

Thanks for all the great information. Shoney-you are right. First time reloading and I think I will enjoy it. Seems like I will have to reload anyway since the 250 Savage is just about obsolete now. Clockman
Old May 23, 2009, 08:54 PM   #8
elkman06

LOL...
Quote:
What were you shooting? a 470 Nitro Express????????
Umm, let me rephrase this. I truly enjoyed using one of my reloads on an animal. elkman06

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"
Old May 25, 2009, 08:17 PM   #9
hivel37

Another load that produces good accuracy is 35 grs Varget and 87 gr Sierra.

Varget has become my "do everything" powder.