The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old April 11, 2009, 10:53 PM   #1
SavageMOA

Need a suggestion for IPSC, USPSA, IDPA pistol

I'm looking for a pistol that I can use in the production class of IPSC, USPSA, and IDPA. What pistols in either 9mm or .40S&W (I reload) are available that can be used in each of these competitions.

Would I be at a severe disadvantage to use a compact pistol like a Glock 19/23 as opposed to its larger counterpart the Glock 17/22?

My reasoning is I will be getting my carry permit fairly soon, so I'd like to be able to shoot my carry weapon. However, I'd also like to be able to (hopefully,eventually) win some of these competitions. So would the sight radius of a 4" put me at too serious of a disadvantage of other competitors?

Summary:
Suggest me a gun that will allow me to compete in several competitions that will also allow me to carry it.
Old April 12, 2009, 07:19 AM   #2
Jim Watson

Go ahead and get the G19.
By the time you have learned the rules, procedures, and techniques and started up the ladder towards "eventually winning" you will know if it can be done with your carry gun or if you need a G34 or some such.
Old April 12, 2009, 09:22 AM   #3
kirkcdl

I carry and compete with a G32,same size as a 23.However,when you're ready to get a relatively inexpensive "Competition only" gun,take a look at the Witness Elite Match,most accurate gun I own,but too big to comfortably carry...
Old April 12, 2009, 09:38 AM   #4
BillM

G17 or G19. It's kind of a personal choice. Either one will work for what
you want. XD would probably be my second choice, followed by something
in the CZ line. SP-01 Shadows are showing up at more matches all the time,
I just do not like the first to second shot transition.

Nice thing about Glocks is the stuff available to make them like you want
them. I have a pair---G17 and G23 2nd gen guns. Both set up the same.
<3 lb triggers, Brooks tactical A-Grip, Warren-Sevigny sights, extended
mag release and slide release. The 17 is my Production gun, the 22 is
a carry gun.

In USPSA you would be most competitive in Production Division. I question
that you would ever shoot IPSC. Do you travel out of the US that much to shoot? No IDPA close to me, so I haven't tried it.

You want to win more guns? Buy a Glock and shoot GSSF matches. They
give away piles of guns. Simple matches, several divisions.
Old April 12, 2009, 10:54 AM   #5
SavageMOA

So the general consensus is that a 4" barreled gun is sufficient? I take it that the G35/G34 are pretty much the standard for people that want to be competitive?
Old April 12, 2009, 02:00 PM   #6
Steviewonder1

Pistol Suggestion

I bought a G35 last year to play around with. I have shot several weekly IDPA matches with it. I have a Fiber Optic front site. Yesterday I shot my first IPSC Monthly outdoor match with it after a 10 year hiateus, too much company work to focus on, that has been fixed now. I had no misses and only one no-shoot in six courses. It is a really fun gun that does both types of shooting well. I got the 35 over the 34 as I wanted to shoot major in IPSC. I also have an extended magwell for IPSC shooting.
Old April 13, 2009, 06:20 PM   #7
SavageMOA

If I get a glock, I'd like to shoot lead bullets so would a replacement barrel of the same length and caliber count as an illegal modification and eliminate it from production class?
Old April 14, 2009, 01:54 PM   #8
Para Bellum

Glock 19. best all around gun. Best gun around.

BTW lead bullets don't make any sense IMHO.
Old April 14, 2009, 02:29 PM   #9
SavageMOA

Lead bullets make sense because I can practice by shooting 100++ rounds of lead ammo for the same price as 50 FMJ.
Old April 15, 2009, 12:13 AM   #10
NRAhab

Do you want the Glock 19? Because if you do, get it. You're not going to win any matches with it, but when you first start shooting run-and-gun games you're not going to win anyway. However, once you practice and shoot the Glock a lot, you'll eventually get good enough that you'll have a choice: do you keep shooting competition as a subset of defensive training, or do you keep shooting competition because you like playing the game and want to start winning the game?

Either way, your Glock 19 will serve you just fine up to if/when you get to that question; and while you're getting there, you're going to develop some solid gunhandling skills.
Old April 15, 2009, 06:21 PM   #11
SavageMOA

I think I've settled on a S&W M&P 40. The free magazine offer helps, plus I like the way they look WAY over the glock.
Old April 15, 2009, 11:58 PM   #12
SavageMOA

Also, Will an aftermarket recoil spring be illegal for production class?
Old April 16, 2009, 06:51 AM   #13
Jim Watson

No.
Match shooters are always playing with recoil springs trying to get the guns to shoot "flat". Lots of discussion at
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?act=idx
Old April 23, 2009, 11:00 PM   #14
sidaemon

Two ways to look at this... I have friends that carry the G34 concealed with no problem. I myself carry a full sized 1911 with the 5 inch barrel without a problem, however I'm a big guy.

I think you have a great idea with shooting what you carry. Another option you could go with is to buy a compact 1911 for carry and use another full sized version for competition. Same frame, action and if manufactured by the same company it will have the same feel.

My wife shoots a full sized 1911 in 9mm in competition and I think I'll pick her up a compact version for carry.

Just my $.02 zac