The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 30, 2009, 07:57 PM   #1
MontanaS

Need parts for Pietta 58

Well, I now know why a cylinder loader is good to have. Today my link pin that connects the link to the rammer broke while loading a bullet. It was fourteenth bullet I loaded today and the 52nd over all since I got i for Christmas. The bullets were .454 but were rather hard and did not want to go into the cylinder easily. Also, the hole in the link is now worn in one direction. It looks like I'm going to need a new link and link pin. I have checked everywhere I can think of on line and cannot find a source for these particular parts, even from one of the major Italian companies that has parts for the Pietta's, Uberties, and the like.
Help please
Old January 30, 2009, 08:00 PM   #2
Fingers McGee

VTI Gunparts http://www.vtigunparts.com/ or
Taylors http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/products/accessories.tpl , and

Both have great service & ship quickly.

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old January 30, 2009, 08:04 PM   #3
Hoss Fly

+1 on VTI
Old January 30, 2009, 09:28 PM   #4
long rider

montanas, now you know why i made my home
made loader, i have one 58 for at lest 14 years
and never used the guns loading lever.
so the specks i give you some time ago you
should be working on that by now, if you still
need help on making it just let me know.
Old January 30, 2009, 10:33 PM   #5
MontanaS

Long rider,
I have it half done out in the garage. I just got sidetracked and it has cost me. I checked vti and Taylors. vti didn't list these parts as beings sold and Taylors only had the major trigger parts and hammer spring. I'll check them again to see if I somehow missed them.
Old January 30, 2009, 10:44 PM   #6
MontanaS

Just found the parts at Taylors and ordered them.
Old January 31, 2009, 03:15 AM   #7
Smokin_Gun

Montana, this may help for future referance. I have never used any ball over .003"-004" of the I.D. of chambers. I use nothing but a Lee mold for a .451" ball it makes a .452" ball which is perfect for all the Piettas I have and do own. I most always use my loading lever and, knock wood , have not broken one.
But "it" happens...I got one of 6Guns4Fun new loaders commin' when I'm at the bench firing line at the pistol house it will save time and wear on the Revs.

SG
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old January 31, 2009, 05:50 AM   #8
Raider2000

Although I have never broken the link or pins of the loading lever I routinely keep a stock of parts on hand for all of my Shootin Irons for that just in case time, & as for my Pietta NMA Clones I have enough parts to build 2 of em "minus the Frame & Barrels ofcorse" & knock on wood "or the saw dust in my head " I've only had to replace the hand spring on one in 24 years.