The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 6, 2005, 09:58 AM   #1
ForksLaPush

H&R top-break

I got a broken H&R .32 S&W and managed to get it working, I think. Problem is, the double action trigger pull is 23 pounds. I'm almost positive I have everything in the right place. Are they normally that bad?
If the snake bites before it is charmed, there is no advantage in having a charmer. Ecclesiastes 10:11
Old May 6, 2005, 11:11 AM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

The DA trigger pull on those guns is not light, but shouldn't be that much.

First, try the pull with the gun open. If the pull is less, then the cylinder is binding somewhere. Look at binding on the cylinder arbor.

If it is the same, then the trouble is in the frame. Several things can be wrong in either case. Did you replace the mainspring (hammer spring)? If so, did you get it the right length? Most springs available today are made oversize so they can be fitted to more than one gun, but if left long they can hit the frame when they bend, increasing trigger pull. You also want to make sure it is not too strong.

Another thing to look at is whether in working on the gun you may have pinched the frame so the hammer or trigger is binding.

Jim
Old May 7, 2005, 08:48 AM   #3
ForksLaPush

Thanks for the tips Jim. The cylinder is not binding. The trigger and hammer slide freely. The spring is not hitting the frame, but the thing is pretty old and didn't work when I got it, so maybe somebody has messed with it and put a wrong spring in it. It does seem a bit long.
If the snake bites before it is charmed, there is no advantage in having a charmer. Ecclesiastes 10:11