The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 13, 2001, 05:11 PM   #1
TailGunner

Deer season start? Get one?No?

Gun season opens saturday for us Indy boy's.Gettin fired up,chompin at the slug here,ready 2 go gettuuummm.When did yer season start?Have ya got any?see any?Whadya get? whad-yah see,whatcha miss?
Old November 13, 2001, 08:26 PM   #2
Bruegger

It's already over here in the Los Angeles area. Got a little buck this year. The mulies in Southern Cal are pretty small in the first place.

Got a big corn-fed doe last time I was back in Indiana. Fine eating.

Semper fi,
Bruegger out.
Old November 13, 2001, 08:44 PM   #3
Legionnaire

NY's southern zone gun season starts Monday. Ready to go with Mossberg 500 slug gun and .243 Encore sighted in. Archery has been on for the last several weeks. Have seen lots of doe and several nice bucks, but haven't gotten a shot yet. Have a couple hours tomorrow, though.
Old November 13, 2001, 09:32 PM   #4
Mannlicher

I was visiting up in north Florida this past weekend. I have not hunted since moving to South Florida, so on a whim, I took some hunting clothes and my little Marlin 1894S. No plans, but since it was opening weekend, I felt like having the stuff with me.

A chance remark at my old gun shop hang out got me an invite for Sunday morning! Got into the woods around 8:30 am, on the stand by 9. Shot a nice little 8 point buck by 9:20. The Speer 270 grain GDSP killed him instantly, with the bullet going clean through. A 15 yard shot as he walked almost right under me. Less than half an hour later, he was field dressed and skinned. At 11, dropped him off at the processing place.

In all my years of hunting, I have never taken a deer that quickly or as easily.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old November 13, 2001, 09:43 PM   #5
techmike

Holy Splatt Batman

Modern Gun Season started here Saturday. Shot a nice doe Saturday morning with My SRH .454 @ 90 yards. .250 gr winchester hollowpoint made this doe's heart and lung go splatt! This was my first year hunting with a handgun and I was pretty pleased with myself. Going again this weekend in search of a buck.

Happy Hunting!!!
Old November 13, 2001, 11:29 PM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Texas whitetail season (mostly) runs Nov 3-Jan 6; one buck, two does down at my DeWitt County place. I figure I'll wait until some cold weather hits.

I'm going scouting tomorrow waaaayyy back in the back country here at Terlingua. Mule deer season runs from Thanksgiving Saturday through December 9th. I'd love to see a real howling norther come through about Thanksgiving!

, Art
Old November 14, 2001, 12:15 AM   #7
Fred Hansen

I got a tender and juicy forkhorn during muzzleloader season here.

Best of all my nephew got his first deer in Arkansas where he lives w/ his mom. A nice 150lb. doe. He got it w/ a caplock that his uncle Doug gave him. The lucky kid can get 3 more before the end of the season. He is proficient w/ all legal hunting weapons, so now it is just a matter of time before those tags are filled.
"This started out as a documentary on gun violence in America, but the largest mass murder in our history was just committed -- without the use of a single gun! Not a single bullet fired! No bomb was set off, no missile was fired, no weapon (i.e., a device that was solely and specifically manufactured to kill humans) was used. A boxcutter! -- I can't stop thinking about this. A thousand gun control laws would not have prevented this massacre. What am I doing?"

Michael Moore
Old November 14, 2001, 12:39 AM   #8
TailGunner

Yeah you KY boys and some of you other get 2 use your rifles up there,we just get shotguns here .I been thinking of goin down there KY,and getttin a outta state permit, and stretch out the ol model70

Bruegerr You can hunt in los angeles calif area.Hell i wouldn't thought that.Yeah we got some big dear hear in indy,and their pretty good at gettin away from me ha ha .

It's suppose 2 be hittin 70 degrees here opening day kinda hard 2 believe in nov
Old November 14, 2001, 01:22 AM   #9
yorec

Season here started Oct first and ended Oct 14. Got mine an the last day - nice little forked horn. (mule deer) Well, it was three on the right and one on the left - looked like he'd broken the left one off during the summer some time. Good eatin'!

And talk about seeing deer - on opening day my wife and I sat 104 head! She shot her's about 3:00 that afternoon so we weren't even out all day to see more. Wyoming's big wide open spaces - gotta love it!
Old November 14, 2001, 06:30 AM   #10
techmike

TailGunner

Well Come on down....We'll try to save a couple for ya'.
Old November 14, 2001, 02:29 PM   #11
ckurts

Was up at my Polk County lease opening day afternoon (Nov. 3). I saw a group of 3 young bucks on the road. They weren't that far away, but this lease is on a paper company tree farm and the young pines were just too thick in that direction and it was getting a little too dark for clear shot. I didn't have my rattling horns with me so I just watched them saunter away. Couple of other guys on the lease got a young buck and a good size doe. It's still pretty warm in this part of Texas- like Art Eatman out there in God's Country I'm waiting for a little norther to blow through. Maybe Thanksgiving week- I've got a couple days off.

Thinking about going to a buddy's ranch out Sierra Blanca way on the last weekend of mulie season.

I'm on the company ranch between Del Rio and Sonora just before Christmas for a 3 day hunt. We put our names in the hat here in September and pretty much anybody who wants to go gets a slot sometime during the season. Whitetail run small there but the bucks have nice racks and there's axis deer, feral hogs, javelina and turkey as well.
Old November 14, 2001, 07:42 PM   #12
Bruegger

Tail Gunner – believe it or not, there’s a fair amount of undeveloped land within an hour of LA. I hunt on private land that’s nestled in amongst state land. Little hunting pressure, but the terrain sure is rugged. Cali is a rifle state (and you need the extra reach with the lack of vegetation here), but I hunted with a borrowed Win 1300 in Indy. Those Indy deer are wiley. They managed to hide from me until the last afternoon of the hunting season (I think I got my doe in the last hour of the season).

>>It's suppose 2 be hittin 70 degrees here opening day kinda hard 2 believe in nov

70 degrees? I hope you have a warm jacket. That’s freezing cold for Southern Cal. I’m kidding a little bit, but we had a week of 90 degree days in October last year, and I still run with no shirt on (and work up a good sweat), even in November.

Semper fi,
Bruegger out.
Old November 14, 2001, 10:03 PM   #13
TailGunner

Bruegger i'm glad you got a nice place 2 hunt up there,and had the chance 2 get a deer here.

I gonna be the first one 2 the huntin spot this year 2 get the camp ready,Going down the day before.

My budd sent me this email and attachment that said be there at 6 am ,no pillow sqeezin and you might get his sister.He shot this buck 3 years ago while i was on a ridge eatin raisin brand cereal ha ha ,some guys never forget

Techmike,might come down next year think your season starts a week before ours.Was thinking about one of them Boar hunts.Last time i was in KY i was in spotsville fishin the green river.Kiliiiiiiiiiilllllllllllllller fishing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jebs deer.jpg (31.6 KB, 57 views)
Old November 15, 2001, 06:38 AM   #14
techmike

THat is one nice Deer!

I've been thinking about doing some boar hunting out in the eastern part of the state myself. I hear that the state is allowinf a few Elk to be harvested this year. Now THAT WOULD BE A HUNT!!
Old November 15, 2001, 04:17 PM   #15
Terrill

Rifle season in the central portion of NC opened last Sat. The western section opens this coming Monday and I'll be in a stand! I managed one doe during blackpowder season which leaves me with five more I can take.
Old November 15, 2001, 06:26 PM   #16
griz

The "regular" season starts this Monday in Virginia. Blackpowder has been in for a week and a half. Since you asked, I got one this morning. My plan was to hunt all week but fortunately I had a chance to visit TFL since I brought the deer home.
Old November 16, 2001, 01:47 AM   #17
notbubba

Michigan firearm season opened today, runs Nov. 15 thru 30.

I saw two squirrels and one chipmunk.
Old November 16, 2001, 03:39 AM   #18
Seeker

off topic

TailGunner

Sorry, I've got to nitpick, but:

1+1=2

2 does not equal 'to'

'to' is a function word to indicate movement or an action or condition suggestive of movement toward a place, person, or thing reached.

"The oppressed should rebel, and they will continue to rebel and raise disturbance until their civil rights are fully restored to them and all partial distinctions, exclusions and incapacitations are removed." --Thomas Jefferson
Don't Tread On Me!
"Equal and exact justice to all men, of whatever state or persuasion, religious or political; peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations, entangling alliances with none" -- Thomas Jefferson

In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they do not have a real enemy, they will invent one in order to mobilize us.
-Thich Nhat Hanh
Old November 17, 2001, 01:25 AM   #19
pawcatch

I killed a spike on Holloween in N.W. Georgia and a button in Middle Georgia on Nov.6.

We're fortunate to have a long gun season here(end of Oct. to beginning of Jan.)
Old November 17, 2001, 02:01 AM   #20
biganimal

I haveta sit the shotgun season out here in NY as I shot a 5 point ( we count em all not just one side) during the northern zone rifle season. now I start calling the coyotes....
Old November 17, 2001, 03:00 AM   #21
DAVID NANCARROW

Went down last month to the lease in the Texas hill country-saw over 100 deer in 3 days while we were working on the stands and filling the feeders. Lots and lots of babys-like a daycare center, but plenty of big ones too. Opening weekend saw two bucks harvested by members. Each weighed in at 200+ pounds, which is big for the hill country. I'm with Art-hope a blue norther blows in Thanksgiving weekend which is when I'm going. Lots of pigs, too.
Old November 17, 2001, 10:38 PM   #22
Zorro

New Mexico Hunt for Thanksgiving.

Let you Know.
Old November 20, 2001, 01:28 AM   #23
VonFatman

Tailgunner,
We're almost done here in MO...tomorrow is the last day.
A friend shot this nice buck on our farm.
VF

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...&postid=768293
Old November 20, 2001, 08:19 AM   #24
Boo586

Tailgunner,

It isn't the biggest deer in the world, but it should be the tastiest. I took a button buck opening morning about 15 minutes after 7:00. The button buck was 27 yards to my left and it was still too dark to see the front sight on my *&* 586 so I used my 20 gauge with fiberoptic rifle sights and put a rifled slug right behind the left front leg. The didn't go 10 ft!! Then I butchered it myself and am going to eat some tonight.

Boo586

Coming back from down south, I saw a guy in an Explorer with an 8-point tied to the luggage rack that made my 200lb 8 point that I got last year look small!! It was one big deer. He was from Indy too.
Old November 20, 2001, 08:52 PM   #25
MeekAndMild

Well, after years of being held prisoner behind a desk in the city, I finally got my first buck, a spike, using a Marlin 336 .35 Remington. It was on the evening of opening day after a lazy morning, a drive up to the country, a big chili lunch and a couple of quarters of TV football with a truly wonderful host. There were 19 antlerless deer and button bucks in the field that afternoon and he was the unlucky number 20.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.