The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 25, 2005, 08:08 PM   #1
9mmsnoopy

media coverage of tyler shooting

in todays houston chronicle the article about the shooting in tyler was an injustice to Mr. Mark Wilson. it made absolutely no NONE mention of the fact that Mr. Wilson was a CHL holder who intervened and tried to put an end to this tragedy and wound up giving his own life in the process.

"upset over child support,a man wearing body armor and firing an AK-47 rifle killed his ex-wife and a bystander in the tyler town square" a bystander?

the only time it even mentioned Mr. Wilson was "the deceased victims were identified as Maribel Estrada and Mark Wilson."

Mr. Wilson wasnt a bystander he was a hero. this from the only newspaper in the fourth largest city in the country. is that pathetic or what?
Bushmaster AR15

Last edited by 9mmsnoopy; February 25, 2005 at 09:02 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old February 25, 2005, 08:19 PM   #2
rugerman13

Hey 9mil,
Noticed you have a cx4. I thinking about buying one. got any info on how it handles ?
Old February 25, 2005, 08:48 PM   #3
JohnKSa
Staff

Did a bit of research today...

The earlier articles were pretty good about noting that Mr. Wilson fired on the murderer.

The articles today seem to be divided between saying he intervened or tried to (no mention of shooting) and a number that don't mention him at all other than as a bystander who was shot with only a few mentioning that he shot the murderer more than once.

Doesn't leave much doubt about how the media feels about reporting positively on CHL holders and defensive gun use.

The police spokesman and one of the deputies that witnessed the shooting say that the shooter's son would be dead if Mr. Wilson hadn't intervened.
Old February 25, 2005, 09:06 PM   #4
Jungle Work

God loves the Houston Commie Cronicle. In my opinion the only thing that leans futher left is the Tower of Pizza. If they printed it was daylight outside, I'd get a flashlight and go look. Pukes from the 60s running the place.

Jungle Work
Old February 25, 2005, 09:07 PM   #5
9mmsnoopy

the most horrible part was that apparently as Mr. Wilson was already on the ground wounded and pleading for his life that scumbag shot him again.

another error in the chronicle stated that the scumbags weapon was an automatic weapon. ive never fired an Ak but they would be semi-auto right?

i feel another assault/hi cap mags ban in the future unfortunately.
Bushmaster AR15
Old February 25, 2005, 09:17 PM   #6
rugerman13

Drop in select fire parts kits and manuals are all over the WWW.
The people selling these are taking your word that you will not use them on any post-ban firearm
Old February 25, 2005, 09:21 PM   #7
JohnKSa
Staff

A co-worker reported that he had heard the gun was full-auto on the TV news.

All of the articles I've seen reported the gun as being semi-auto or didn't say. Another co-worker saw the video shot in a nearby courtroom and said that from the sound of the shots it didn't sound like a full-auto.
Old February 25, 2005, 09:23 PM   #8
9mmsnoopy

your so right jungle. the chronicle just gets worse all the time. they even cover SOCCER in the sports section lol, but whats real funny is they will print those articles in spanish, as if someone who cant read english is buying the paper just so they can read that one little article. i sure do miss the houston post, when it bit the dust is when the chronicle really went down the crapper. i guess they lost their incentive to put out a quality newspaper.
Bushmaster AR15
Old February 25, 2005, 09:34 PM   #9
Jungle Work

snoopy,
A real AK is semi or full auto. It can be either. Most Civilian Look Alikes are only Semi Auto. Like Civilian ARs are only Semi while M-16s are usually Semi or FA depending on what position you put the off/on switch in.

Jungle Work
Old February 25, 2005, 09:39 PM   #10
Sylvilagus Aquaticus

Have a look at the local news coverage.

KLTV Channel 7
www.kltv.com

The Tyler Morning-Telegtaph
www.tylerpaper.com

You'll see a lot better coverage that is picked up by more clear-thinking media outlets than the Chronicle.

Regards,
Rabbit.
Old February 26, 2005, 08:44 AM   #11
too many choices!?

our channel 13 news affiliate sux too.....

not even an honorable mention of the actions of the deceased ! Surely if us gun nut internet guys have these facts already, the well connected and "free press" badge wearing news stations do ? Shameful to say the least ......
Old February 26, 2005, 10:22 AM   #12
jburtonpdx

deputy da

If I heard the newsclip from kltv correctly the DA's office there in Tyler is pro CLH. The Deputy DA they were interviewing even called Mark Wilson a hero. Sounds like a nice place to live.
Old February 26, 2005, 10:45 AM   #13
Derius_T

A message I sent to the papers and news stations in Tyler, Texas, about the media coverage.

Quote:
Was wondering about your coverage on the Tyler, Texas Courthouse shooting.

Was wondering where the details are about the heroics of Mr. Mark Wilson, who was killed in the shootout? He was a hero. He was a regular citizen, that gave his life in defense of the lives of total strangers. He was a CCL holder, and used his weapon in a law abiding manner to save the lives of people he didn't even know. As I said, a true hero. Now I do not want to take away from the facts, this tragedy needs to reach the people. But it also needs to reach the people about the heroic, selfless actions of this brave american. You do him and his family a terrible injustice. Give this man the credit, and the honor he deserves for what he did that terrible day.
I doubt I will get a reply tho.
Old February 26, 2005, 10:52 AM   #14
9mmsnoopy

way to go derius, very well said. i wouldnt hold your breath on that reply either, the media knows all right? :barf:
Bushmaster AR15
Old February 26, 2005, 11:01 AM   #15
Nimitz87

this just shows how biased the media is against guns... sickening :barf:

The Sun Sentinel metioned mark wilson as a deceased bystander but nothing about him actually taking action against the assaliant... :barf:
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve to encourage rather than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."

-Thomas Jefferson
www.insaneindustry.com

Newbieville Moderator
Old February 26, 2005, 02:22 PM   #16
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
in todays houston chronicle the article about the shooting in tyler was an injustice to Mr. Mark Wilson
Why would you even think that newspapers were about justice? Why does the newspaper have to mention Wilson? They already have on several occasions. And why do they need to note that he was a CHL holder?

----

Sure enough, some of the early reports said the rifle was automatic. Just like with pistols, people don't understand the difference between an autoloader and a fully automatic firing gun. I have an automatic (loading) semi-auto (firing) AR15. Pretty much all semi-auto firing guns are automatic loading guns. My 1911 is a .45 ACP, Automatic Colt Pistol, but automatic loading only.

If you listen to the reports from the courtroom video, you can hear the shots are NOT in full auto. They aren't even particularly fast semi-auto. I was quite dismayed by the images of the bailiffs in court with their fingers on the triggers of their revolvers.
Old February 26, 2005, 02:25 PM   #17
Wynterbourne

I'm actually kind of proud of Channel 8 here in Dallas. They did mention the incident, but they spent more time talking about the hero who returned fire, rather than the man who started the incident.

It was mentioned, repetatively, how his actions saved a number of lives.

"You can say ‘stop’ or ‘alto’ or use any other word you think will work, but I’ve found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone’s head is pretty much the universal language." - Clint Smith

9mm. Because no matter how you try to rationalize it, .45 ACP is still for people trying to compensate for -something-.
Old February 26, 2005, 03:45 PM   #18
RWK

Fort Worth print media (on Friday) and several local TV new reports (Thursday night and Friday morning) were -- surprisingly -- respectful and properly praised Mr. Wilson's courage and initiative. In addition, the involved law enforcement agencies all lauded Mr. Wilson, both through their press representatives and their leadership.
Old February 26, 2005, 05:48 PM   #19
9mmsnoopy

from double naught spy... "Why would you even think that newspapers were about justice? Why does the newspaper have to mention Wilson? They already have on several occasions. And why do they need to note that he was a CHL holder?"

i would think that newspapers were supposed to be about the facts, they left out plenty in this case. dont know where you get your houston chronicle DNS, but they have ran 2 articles on this incident and NEITHER mentioned Mr. Wilson as doing ANYTHING other than dying. and why mention that he was a chl holder? how about so that people will know he was a law abiding citizen, instead of someone who was illegally carrying a handgun. DUH
Bushmaster AR15
Old February 26, 2005, 07:56 PM   #20
cuate

Media coverage of Tyler shooting

Opinions are like "dear rears" and we all have one, but the Houston Chronicle and the Austin Statesman are not even worth putting in the bottom of a bird cage. Karl Marx would have loved both newspapers.
Old February 26, 2005, 10:43 PM   #21
Walter

Dallas Morning News

Just for the record, the Dallas Morning News reported that Mr. Wilson's
intervention probably saved lives by distracting the shooter from his
intended targets, and causing him to panic and leave the scene.

Of course they quoted the anti-gun idiots. The Dallas chapter president
of the Million Mom March was quoted asking "...what it he had hit a
bystander while he was firing?". Some people just will never get it.

God bless Mark Wilson. He "Walked the Walk".

Walter
Old February 27, 2005, 12:13 AM   #22
Jungle Work

Walter,
ever notice with the Anti's it's always "what if". I believe that if Mark Wilson had not been there more people would have died. To give one's life for the protection of others is one of the most Heroic things a person can do.

Jungle Work
Old February 27, 2005, 12:13 PM   #23
VaughnT

Anyone notice in the video coverage from the courtroom...all you saw of the presiding judge was the assend of his black robes as he abandoned the people in the pews for the safety of his office? Talk about a coward!

I must have seen the clip a dozen times on FOX and MSNBC, and I never got the impression there was automatic fire or a reload.

Hope that judge loses his seat in the next election.
Old February 27, 2005, 02:07 PM   #24
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
I believe that if Mark Wilson had not been there more people would have died.
Now that it appears clear that Mr. Wilson did make a telling hit on Arroyo Sr. (in the groin), I think that it's also obvious why Arroyo left the scene after shooting Mr. Wilson. It's also likely that impairment from this wound may have saved officer's lives at the roadblock where Arroyo was killed.
Old February 28, 2005, 10:50 AM   #25
Derius_T

Double Naught Spy wrote:

Quote:
Why does the newspaper have to mention Wilson? They already have on several occasions. And why do they need to note that he was a CHL holder?
Seriously DNS, no disrespect intended, but if you even have to ASK that question.....maybe your on the wrong forum?