The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 7, 2012, 09:29 PM   #1
thedaddycat

The worst gun I ever got.....

was the Walther PPK....

I have not shot this one yet. It's not a bad firearm as far as I can tell. Chambered in .380 Auto, it has a decocking safety lever and a pair of six round magazines. The action is OK as far as I can tell, not too bad in DA and SA is pretty good. It's much better than my Hk VP 70 Z, which is truly terrible.

So what makes the Walther the worst gun I ever got? It belonged to my son, who passed away this past Sunday after a brief illness at the age of 29. This is not the way it's supposed to happen. He was supposed to be the one to inherit my guns at some point. Though I don't understand God's purpose or plans in calling him home so early, still I rejoice in the fulfillment of the Lord's plan, trusting that He will be glorified through this somehow.
Old November 7, 2012, 09:43 PM   #2
2damnold4this

I'm sorry for the loss of your son.
Old November 7, 2012, 11:44 PM   #3
Metal god

I'm sorry to here about your son . Maybe it will become your most cherished gun for some of the same reasons it's the worst you ever got for now . I want to say so much more but the more think to say the more makes me think of my own son . No I have not lost him but this has made me think what if I did and I'm starting to get chocked up here .

Im so sorry for your loss

Metal

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old November 8, 2012, 12:40 AM   #4
ljnowell

Im sorry for your loss. No daddy should inherit his sons gun that way, it should be the other way around.

The only gun I have inherited was from my best friends since childhood. He used it to end his life in Sept 2009. Thats probably my worst gun too.
Old November 8, 2012, 04:56 AM   #5
Ignition Override

My deepest condolences thedaddycat.

When I bought my SKS in '08, it had belonged to the seller's father, but the seller only really liked shotguns. He sold it to me because he wanted it to have a good home.

Maybe you can practice with the Walther in a way that your son would have enjoyed watching.
Old November 8, 2012, 05:17 AM   #6
CajunBass

First let me express my condolences on the loss of your son. There is very little I, or anyone else can say that will ease the pain. Only the love of Jesus, and time can do that.

Quote:
Though I don't understand God's purpose or plans in calling him home so early, still I rejoice in the fulfillment of the Lord's plan, trusting that He will be glorified through this somehow."
Praise God that you understand this. God has a plan. We don't always understand it, we usually don't agree with it, but it's His plan.

In times like this, I believe, that person has done everything God had planned for him to do, and his work here is finished, and God has called him home to be with Him. He's in heaven. How can we be sad for that? Praise God that we have the promise that someday, we'll all see our loved ones again, "When the roll is called up younder."

"OH what a day, glorious day, that will be."
John 3:16 (NKJV)

Last edited by CajunBass; November 8, 2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old November 8, 2012, 07:46 AM   #7
jhenry

As a father of two young men let me first say how sorry I am to hear of the loss of you son. From the post it is evident you loved him very much, and I am sure he knew it throughout his lifetime. I truly believe we are on the earth for the blink of any eye, and you will see your son again. God bless you and your family.

It is also evident your boy inherited some fine taste in pistols. Let the Walther be a source of joy for you and not a remembrance of loss. Remember the good stuff, and keep in mind you will see your boy again in better times.
Old November 8, 2012, 08:20 AM   #8
thedaddycat

Thanbks to all of you for your kind and comforting words. I wrote his eulogy last night and it made me recall how some of the most angering and frustrating things he did as a child become the cherished memories. Like the time he got up early and spread butter across everything in the livingroom at about two feet off the floor, including the TV screen, walls, curtains and furniture. That became "The Butterworm" story and was retold many times...

For now I'm trying to keep busy enough that I don't have a lot of time to just sit and think about things too much. Perhaps the Walther will become a cherished part of my collection at some point or maybe I'll have grandkids one day to whom it can be passed on to. I know that my son had just received his own CCW permit a few months back, at least he picked something decent to carry.
Old November 8, 2012, 08:38 AM   #9
spacecoast

I'm very very sorry about your son's passing, and understand to a small extent the grief you must feel. I have a 21-year old son flying daily as a crew member in an Army helicopter in Afghanistan, and also enduring daily mortar attacks on his camp. We are trusting God that what happens is His will and that it will serve His purposes, no matter how hard they are to understand. That's really the only way I can deal with it day to day.
Old November 8, 2012, 02:58 PM   #10
DnPRK

Condolences for your loss.
Old November 8, 2012, 03:06 PM   #11
pturner67

so sorry daddycat...our hearts are with you and your family
Old November 8, 2012, 03:41 PM   #12
Scouse

Sorry for your loss, sir. It is clear your son will be well remembered.

Writing/giving a eulogy under such circumstances is a display of enormous personal strength.

All the best to you and yours.
Old November 8, 2012, 05:43 PM   #13
markj

I feel for you sir. Cant get the words right, but I do feel for you.
Old November 8, 2012, 05:48 PM   #14
geetarman

Quote:
Though I don't understand God's purpose or plans in calling him home so early, still I rejoice in the fulfillment of the Lord's plan, trusting that He will be glorified through this somehow.
My friend, this speaks VOLUMES. God bless you and yours.

Carpe Cerveza
Old November 8, 2012, 07:24 PM   #15
357 Python

I am so sorry for the loss of your son. You and your family have my family's deepest sympathies. In a perfect world no parent would go through what you are, but this world is far from perfect.
Old November 8, 2012, 07:35 PM   #16
4 Paws

Truly a sad story, so sorry for your loss.
Old November 8, 2012, 07:54 PM   #17
Joe_Pike

I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my dad about 7 years ago and it still hurts. I can't even imagine losing a child. I just brought my dad's Single Six home a few weeks ago. Took me that long feel like I could.
Old November 8, 2012, 08:09 PM   #18
TXAZ

DaddyCat,
we are all sorry for your loss.

Keep the good memories you had when you see it.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old November 9, 2012, 07:45 AM   #19
KMAX

Keep the Walther as a momento or remembrance of your son as you would a picture. Shoot it and appreciate your memories of him. I am sorry for your loss, but I have started to appreciate the time I spent with friends and family while they were still here more than mourn the fact that they are gone. Remember the good things and let the hurt go. You don't think your son would want you to hurt do you?

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old November 10, 2012, 06:05 PM   #20
BGutzman

Extremely sorry for your loss...
Old November 10, 2012, 09:26 PM   #21
EdInk

Best Wishes In Darkest Hours.
Old November 11, 2012, 07:18 PM   #22
thedaddycat

Once again, thank you to all for your kind words and support. It is truly appreciated by the family.

I took the Walther out today, one week since my son's passing, and shot three boxes of ball ammo through it. It shoots OK, though the slide is just a tad low for my beefy hands. I had slight rub marks and a tiny scratch on one side of the web of my thumb from slide rub. Even at ten yards the .380 had enough punch to swing up the steel plates if I hit them dead center at the bottom. POA/POI are pretty close with one brand I tried, though it would take some practice to become proficient(just like with any firearm). I will have to adjust my grip some to stop the rubbing next time I take it out. Though this would make a decent carry piece I think I will relegate it to the safe except for special memorial shoots.

Once again, thanks to everyone.