The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 15, 2010, 09:46 AM   #1
41mag10mm

Need advice selling a single shot pistol

I've owned a Competitor single shot pistol for about 20 years and just don't shoot it anymore. I listed it on the pistol for sale board but didn't get any interest. Anyone have a suggestion on where I might list it to get something reasonable in an offer? If it were a Thompson Contender I'd have no trouble but most people have never heard of a Competitor.

Thanks
Old March 15, 2010, 09:56 AM   #2
FreakGasolineFight

Gunbroker, perhaps?
Old March 15, 2010, 10:57 AM   #3
EdInk

When you list the item you could (although I hate when people do it) write it like this "Competitor NOT Thompson Contender Single Shot Pistol." This way when someone does a quick search for a "Thompson Contender" your ad will show up, too.

Good Luck. Also try Guns America.
Old March 15, 2010, 11:29 AM   #4
rdmallory

Buds has a free sale area

www.budsgunshop.com
Old March 15, 2010, 11:30 AM   #5
oneounceload

There's a site called "Specialtypistols.com", IIRC - they are all about the T/Cs, XPs (I have one I'm trying to sell), and others in that vein

http://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x
Old March 15, 2010, 03:00 PM   #6
jem375

I have one in 44 magnum and it shoots very good, thought it was a Lone Eagle when I bought it and it turned out to be a competitor. I bought it to shoot in silhouette but haven't had the time yet to try it in competition. They make plenty of calibers and barrels for it though....
Old March 15, 2010, 03:06 PM   #7
coltaholic

sale

did you try posting pictures and a brief description of the gun, and perhaps a link to a website extolling the virtues of your gun?
Old March 15, 2010, 04:56 PM   #8
BFROWNER

How much

what is something like that worth?
Old March 15, 2010, 04:58 PM   #9
BigJimP

I would probably pack it up / take it to some local shops that specialize in used guns ( consider putting it on consignment somewhere ) - and they'll usually charge you 20% of the selling price ....

If you have a good gunshow in your area / I'd consider packing it up -- showing it to some of the tables that seem to sell similar guns ...and if nothing else, confirm what the retail value is in your area.

The problem with your gun ( and many guns ) is they have a small group of shooters or collectors that are really interested in them. The trick is to price it right / so someone who wouldn't normally have an interest ...might buy it anyway. But specialty weapons like this / are really hard to sell in my area ( and hardly anyone under 50 yrs old - knows what it is )...and most of us already have one, if we wanted one ...

They're just hard to sell for a reasonable price ...so most of us just keep em.
Old March 15, 2010, 10:14 PM   #10
41mag10mm

Thanks everyone for the input. I'll look into listing it on the sites suggested. This is my current posting on TFL.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=400577

As far as how much they are worth, I've totalled what all the pieces I have at current retail and it's over $1,300.

In addition to it being a rather nitch piece, I made resale even more difficult in the calibers I chose. The .22 Hornet is not too bad and I guess the .41 Magnum is ok as well. The .284 Winchester is a fantastic cartridge that almost no one uses or knows anything about. It's most often used as the basis for wildcats such as the 6mm/284.

Since I live in a rather rural area, the local gunstores in town have looked at the Competitor as if I had found it in the wreck of a space ship. No joy trying to sell it around here or even at a gunshow. My best bet is to list it where people are interested in single shots.

Thanks again everyone and be safe.
Old March 16, 2010, 08:24 AM   #11
troy_mclure

You could put it up on one of greybeardoutdoors many for sale boards.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old March 16, 2010, 03:11 PM   #12
OkieCruffler

I'd second Specialty pistols. A few guys over there are into those. Definately a niche piece but you seem to have it priced right. Just have to find the guy who's out there looking for it.
Old October 6, 2010, 11:45 AM   #13
HotShot.444

Anything left ...

.. of the pieces of the space-ship?? On your pistol, yeah, they are specialty critters, alright. But in trying to fill a small stable of my own favorite, Lone Eagle, I have ended up buying a .308 Win., .30-06 Rem, .444 Marlin, and .357 super mag., and all at what I'd consider "Fire Sale" prices. Both seller and buyer are happy. I already have rifles or handguns in those calibers, except .357 Super Mag., and dies also, so I feel like I'm doing my part to keep good, albeit unique, guns in the mix. You've gotten some good advice here, and I'm following up on some of it myself. Best luck. Hot.