The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 22, 2000, 01:01 PM   #1
cnemeth

Does anyone know of a smith that can make fire-blued parts for Rugers'? "Guns of the Old WEST" had a SAA with fire-blued pins and screws on one of its covers and it looked great. Now that I finally have my high-gloss SS Blackhawk I'd like to customize it with fire-blued parts.

Thanks
Chris Nemeth

Old August 22, 2000, 05:13 PM   #2
Jim V

If you want to fire blue screw heads and pins, buy non-stainless Ruger screws, remove the current bluing and polish well, just dont bugger up the slots, take your trusty propane torch and heat the things up and dunk 'em in oil. You don't need to get them red or anywhere close to it. When they cool, wipe of the oil and that should do it.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"
Old August 22, 2000, 06:49 PM   #3
Celt

You can also use Nitre blue from Brownells. You can get from a straw colour to a great Cobalt blue depending on the heat of the salts. It is not beginers or if you just want to do it once, there is a bit of cost for the supplies and equiptment....Celt