The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 11, 2013, 07:14 PM   #1
alaskabushman

Want a pump 12, but which one?

I have shot my fair share of shotguns and own a couple single shot and a double. My wife's shotgun is a Rem 870 in 20 Ga. My Grandpa, who was a cop for 36 years recommends the 870. I have personally narrowed it down to three guns, all in 12 Ga. A Remington 870, simply because I know they work and I already have one. A Mossberg 500 because as a lefty I like the tang safety. Or a Winchester SXP, since they claim to be the fastest pump on the market. I am really looking for a defense gun with waterfowl capabilities. I can read the specs and make a decision, but what I am looking for are personal experiences with the different guns. Not OPINIONS! EXPERIENCE! I am curious about the SXP but have never handled one before. Has anyone used the Mossberg FLEX system? Should I add a Benelli to the list of possibilities?
Old March 11, 2013, 08:09 PM   #2
rcase1234

I own a 500 and 870. I love both but the 870 fits me much better. You can't go wrong with either one. Also, I like the idea of the FLEX system just because the possibilities are endless
Old March 11, 2013, 08:39 PM   #3
scrubcedar

If you want a fast pump, get a Browning BPS. I've tried all of the above and the only one in the same class is the Benelli Nova, do add it to your list.
In practice it's a bigger difference than just the action however. The barrel of the BPS is set just a little higher above your shoulder than the others, in short the drop at the comb is different.
This means the gun hits you just a hair harder in recoil (noticeable but no big deal) but the muzzle rise is sharply reduced. The gun helps you stay on target instead of fighting you. There is absolutely no way I want anything else in my hands if there is a BG in front of me.
Old March 11, 2013, 08:59 PM   #4
tjh

Winchester SXP would be my choice The 1300 was great . the sxp should be as good or better .
Old March 11, 2013, 09:24 PM   #5
nanewt02

id go with the 870 super magnum, if you want waterfowl capabuilities, 3.5 is the way to go, ive owned both, and honestly the 870 is just built better. not even sure if mossberg makes a super magnum. besides, aluminum recievers just dont beat good old steel
Old March 11, 2013, 10:38 PM   #6
souther33

I have several shotguns 3 of which are 870's and love them. There good and reliable but I would say add the Benelli to your options the nova or super nova are awesome guns (the only major deference is the comfort tech stock and shims in the super nova. witch I would say is worth the extra money) I really like all the thing that Benelli puts in to the gun like shell stop button (The button on the underside of the forend activates a shell stop, allowing a chambered shell to be removed without releasing rounds from the magazine.) plus I like that they give you 3 extra chokes.

Last edited by souther33; March 11, 2013 at 10:45 PM.
Old March 11, 2013, 11:47 PM   #7
idek

My experience is mostly with the Mossberg 500. It's middle of the road in terms of weight, has a large amount of after-market parts available, comes drilled and tapped in case you ever want to mount optics of any kind, and extra barrels are much cheaper than I've seen for any other gun Ultimately, it can be very versatile without breaking the bank. Mine wears a recoil-reducing Knoxx Compstock, which could be beneficial for both waterfowl hunting and defensive shooting.

My Mossberg has been trouble-free over the course of 15 years and it resists rust well.

Last edited by idek; March 12, 2013 at 12:00 AM.
Old March 11, 2013, 11:53 PM   #8
Noreaster

Take a serious look at the NEF Pardner pump. I have Remington 870, Mossy 500 and the Pardner Pump. The NEF has been more reliable then the Remington, better finish and you can find the for under $200.
Old March 12, 2013, 01:03 AM   #9
.300 Weatherby Mag

870 Wingmaster or Browning BPS...

The Winchester SXP is made in Turkey and after handling them, I say no thanks...

I have a Mossberg 500 and it works... Its the gun I loan out and don't care if it comes back with more scratches or dings.. Its feels like a piece of crap when compared to my 870s and older Winchester pumps... But the darn thing always goes bang..
Old March 12, 2013, 07:55 AM   #10
jaguarxk120

Go with the Remington 870, a lefthand safety can be installed for those that need it.
If you start looking at safety's the tang mounted ones require a change of grip, moving the thumb, to operate. A trigger guard safety, like the Remington and others, requires only moving the trigger finger from the safety to the trigger. Thats why the police like them.

Both guns are well made, BUT there is no comparison to a 870 Wingmaster.
Old March 12, 2013, 08:48 AM   #11
jmr40

The older Winchesters were decent guns, but the current made somewhere overseas version is unproven. The Mossberg is "good enough", but not an 870.

The Browning and Benelli are actually good choices and an option to consider. As a lefty the Browning has a true tang safety. The Mossberg is mounted on top of the receiver where it is in the way of both right and left handed shooters. The safety on the 870 is no problem for lefty's, but the Benelli might be more of an issue.
Old March 12, 2013, 09:30 AM   #12
Waspinator

I have a Mossberg 500 and like the tang-mounted saftey position and the position of the slide release over the Remington 870 controls. That, ultimately, was the deciding factor between the two for me.

Although the Mossberg's saftey would be great for a lefty, I'm trying to envision how well the slide release would work for a lefty (left-side of the reciever and to the rear of the trigger). I find the slide release, for me, to be very intuitive, as I just extend my middle finger and I'm able to engage it. But being a lefty...would you just bump it, upward, with the top of your trigger finger?? Guess you would have to check it out for yourself.

Anyway, My Mossberg goes bang when I pull the trigger and I havent ran into any trouble.

I have no experience with Browning or Benelli, other than reading that people like them.

As far as Winchester goes.... I never handled the SXP version, but I read it was based off of, or set-up the same as, the 1300. I have handled the 1300 and I just didnt like how the action cycles itself rearward after shooting a shell. My co-worker, who owns the 1300, absolutly loves this function. I just could'nt get used to it (granted, I didn't have much time with it).
Old March 12, 2013, 10:31 AM   #13
BigJimP

Browning BPS is my pump gun of choice --- smooth action, safety is on the top of the tang making it easy to reach and operate even with gloves on, I like the bottom ejection, and they are cast neutral for both lefties and right handed shooters.

BPS Hunter is my personal choice...I've got one in 12ga and a 20ga...both good solid guns with easily 100,000 shells thru them ( I bought them in the late 1970's ) and they've been thru 2 boys, and a number of grandkids...
Old March 12, 2013, 12:46 PM   #14
kraigwy

Everyone seems to compare pumps to the M-870...........why not just go the 870 route and be done with it.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 12, 2013, 05:13 PM   #15
RMcL

The SXP is an overseas outsource version of the 1300 and earlier 1200 Winchesters. In my experience the major weak points of this model series are the riveted shell stops and short action length. The 1200 series with 2.75" chambers will not function with 2.75" full length roll crimp factory rounds - such as several European buckshot rounds. Nor will the 1300 (3" chamber) series function reliably with full length (but SAMMI spec) roll crimp factory ammunition. I am on the third set of shell stop assemblies on my 1970 vintage 1200 (it was the only shotgun on the market at that time with interchangable choke tubes). The short action may not mean a lot to many, but high performance shotshell handloaders will and others may consider the ability to fire any SAAMI spec. shotshell a plus - within specified chamber length of course.

My Remington 870's and a Mossberg 500 and 590 series have remained trouble free.

Last edited by RMcL; March 12, 2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old March 12, 2013, 09:35 PM   #16
k511

+1 remington 870 wingmaster.....have multiples of both the remington and mossberg, both solid platform, i much prefer my remingtons.... with the wingmaster your paying a little more than the express, but the fit/ finish is way worth it, you get the nice wood furniture aswell...
Old March 13, 2013, 08:03 PM   #17
thedudeabides

The 870 is modular, cheap, and tough.

If money is no option, I'd get the Marine Magnum.
Old March 13, 2013, 09:07 PM   #18
dalegribble

ihave an 8 shot riot type pump by mavrick (mossberg) that is very nice at a great price.
Old March 13, 2013, 09:17 PM   #19
mk8tim

i recently bought a mossberg 835 and love it. i use it goose and duck hunting and the 3 and a half inch chamber is sure nice to have. they're reasonably priced also. i picked mine up used for 150.
Old March 13, 2013, 10:53 PM   #20
Lee Lapin

Go with the one that suits you best as far as fit and feel are concerned. I own all three of those you mention and others, of those (and all the other pumpguns I own) I still prefer the 870 best for its durability, reliability and the fact that after some four decades of off and on use, my hands know an 870 like my tongue knows my teeth.

But that's ME. We're talking about YOU....

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old March 13, 2013, 11:24 PM   #21
Striker1

I like the M500 or 835 because of the location of the safety. Second choice would be the Rem M870. Have used both extensively and never a functional problem with either.
Old March 14, 2013, 12:01 AM   #22
BerdanSS

Quote:
alaskabushman

I am really looking for a defense gun with waterfowl capabilities.
In a 12 ga, pump action. The only thing I'd look at to cover BOTH of those applications VERY well, personally is a Mossberg 835. Home defense barrels available, tough as nails and with the ability to shoot 3 & 1/2" mag shells; it can handle anything you could think of to through at a shotgun....and then some. Easy to find also, and cheap. I do like the remingtons, but 90% + of the 870s I come across are 3" guns.

I own two of them, I plan on picking up a third this year. A Parked. or blued model with wood stocks I can find one. Do I have others that are fancier for show, that I grab out of the safe before I'll reach for the mossy for specific uses? Yes... I've got down right pretty auto loaders for upland birds and skeet. But the 835s are my go to workhorses.

Last edited by BerdanSS; March 14, 2013 at 12:12 AM.
Old March 14, 2013, 09:20 AM   #23
twice barrel

alaskabushman,

You say what your wife's 870 is but you don't say what yours is...guage, barrel length, or choke.

?
Old March 14, 2013, 05:58 PM   #24
Dan D

Another vote for the BPS, might be expensive compared to an 870 but its worth it. I stopped counting when I hit 15,000 rounds, probably twice that right now, only been cleaned twice aint had a problem yet.
Old March 14, 2013, 06:13 PM   #25
Doyle

Quote:
The 870 is modular, cheap, and tough
It depends on which 870 you are looking at. If you are holding one of the new 870 Express models then I'd agree with you 100%. They look like crap and have a nasty habit of surface rust.

On the other hand, if you are holding the Wingmaster I'd disagree. They really should have been given different model numbers because I just don't see them being anything close to the same gun.