The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 25, 2011, 04:17 PM   #1
Civil War Life

Lee Bench Plate

This looks like a good way to be able to mount several presses and save space. I read a comment on Midway's site that said you could not mount a MEC 600 press to the Lee plate. Does anyone have any experience with this plate and any mounting problems. Thanks.
Old January 25, 2011, 04:43 PM   #2
BombthePeasants

Yes, I have one. It works well enough, but it has a nasty habit of coming loose if you don't tighten the screws on the Z-plates VERY TIGHTLY. If you do that, it works just fine. I have used it for 2 loading sessions now. Someone suggested drilling a hole in the plate that matches up w/ a hole you would place in the wood block, so you could insert a long screw, or dowel, as a safety measure. I will have to try this at some point soon.
Old January 25, 2011, 04:52 PM   #3
Lemmon

I lock my presses down with 6" C clamps of a very sturdy desk. I have tried to mount my RCBS AmmoMaster with poor results. Presses with a small footprint work great... Lemmon
Old January 25, 2011, 05:03 PM   #4
amamnn

A great idea!!!!!! One that RCBS has had for some time. Quite a reversal of patents and the like if you have followed the leasing of Richard Lee's ideas over the years................ok after actually looking at it---I'm not buying it-------

Last edited by amamnn; January 25, 2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old January 25, 2011, 06:04 PM   #5
Civil War Life

BombthePeasants, are you saying you have mounted a MEC 600 on the wood block and it works OK? Thanks
Old January 25, 2011, 06:44 PM   #6
BombthePeasants

negative. I have the Lee Classic Turret press. Oh crap, I missed the whole reference to your MEC 6000 in your post...SORRY.
Old January 25, 2011, 06:48 PM   #7
gregjc9

I've also read if you replace the phillips screws with allen head screws, it will be easier to keep them tight. The hole drilled through for a screw drive also seems to work very well.

Greg