The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: Did you ever draw your weapon?
Yes 204 47.33%
No 227 52.67%
Voters: 431. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 16, 2009, 08:31 PM   #101
throw1out

I was taught in my chl class that if you pulled your gun and did not use it the person you pulled it on could call the cops.And you could get in alot of trouble with the law.Has this ever happened to anyone?
Old July 16, 2009, 08:36 PM   #102
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I was taught in my chl class that if you pulled your gun and did not use it the person you pulled it on could call the cops.
For one thing, criminals don't usually call the cops.

For a second thing, it is not illegal IN ANY JURISDICTION to stop short of shooting someone after you have drawn your gun, in fact shooting someone after drawing your gun could very quickly change from defense to murder. Anyone who says "If you draw, you shoot." is giving you very bad advice.

For a third thing, if you draw your gun YOU had better be calling the cops. Doing otherwise indicates that YOU were acting unlawfully. IF you were in fear enough to draw your gun then there is ZERO excuse to not be calling the police.
Old July 16, 2009, 08:59 PM   #103
sdj

Never drawn, but took a few pictures.
Old July 16, 2009, 08:59 PM   #104
Nnobby45

Quote:
I was taught in my chl class that if you pulled your gun and did not use it the person you pulled it on could call the cops.And you could get in alot of trouble with the law.Has this ever happened to anyone?
You can pull your gun in a lawful and necessary manner and Bubba can, and often will, call the police and say you pulled a gun on him "for no reason". Of course, you will have called 911 first, and told them what really happened. Right?

Hope they didn't teach you that if you pull your gun, you have to shoot. Been many a situation change fast as a gun was being drawn (appropriately). Bubba could be hot footin' it down the road by then, or have his hands in the air.

Just my thoughts on the matter.
Old July 16, 2009, 09:04 PM   #105
throw1out

Thank you Peetzakiller that makes alot more sense than what was taught in the class I took.Thats what is scary, instructors that are not teaching the classes the way they should.He stressed the fact that if you drew your gun and failed to use it that you would be in alot of trouble.
Old July 16, 2009, 09:42 PM   #106
Playboypenguin

Quote:
Thank you Peetzakiller that makes alot more sense than what was taught in the class I took.Thats what is scary, instructors that are not teaching the classes the way they should.He stressed the fact that if you drew your gun and failed to use it that you would be in alot of trouble.
The correct way to remember it is..."The next to last thing you ever want to do is draw your weapon. The last thing you want to do is actually be forced to fire it."
Old July 16, 2009, 10:24 PM   #107
Uncle Billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessee Gentleman
"..."You can have a gun, and you can have a temper. You just can't have both..."
Reminds me of something Robin Williams said: "God gave man a brain and a <male appendage> but only enough blood to run one of them at a time."

Last edited by Uncle Billy; July 18, 2009 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Didn't like what I said
Old July 17, 2009, 08:25 PM   #108
Bob F.

Yep. twice, once on bird's flushing from a cedar tree @ 2yds, late night---where I wasn't supposed to be............
Old July 24, 2009, 03:31 AM   #109
Beauhooligan

Did you ever draw your handgun?

Quote:
The correct way to remember it is..."The next to last thing you ever want to do is draw your weapon. The last thing you want to do is actually be forced to fire it."
There is another perspective, and that comes from the real hard corps violent types. I heard it said by a Hells Angel to a guy who had pulled a gun on him over a minor disagreement and did not immediately fire, "If you had the sack to use that thing, you'd have already shot me by now!". The biker then took the gun away from the guy and was in the process of beating the guy to death when County Sheriff Deputies arrived. I was an unarmed civilian bystander at an outdoor hamburger stand in a fiberglass body cast from my last back surgery when this happened, and could not get involved, but understand the mentality. If you do pull your firearm, don't be timid or act weak as some guys will eat you alive if you do. Present the weapon quickly and with confidence.
Old July 24, 2009, 08:02 AM   #110
RTROYCHECK23

I've had to unholster my weapon twice, the first time someone kicked in the my basment door in broad daylight with me down there reloading some new 40 sw loads for my pistol imagine his surprise seeing all the reloading equipment and a glock 22 in his eyeball, the 2nd time i pulled it i also had a snub nose wheelgun in my face from a guy that thought i was checking out his girlfriend and decided he would rather risk his life by pulling his weapon on me than to just let it go (althought i was checking her out she was a mighty fine looker with a good rack) but thanks to my training from Clint Smith and the exceptional staff at Thunder Ranch i was able to difuse the situation without ever fireing a round (even though he s*it his pants when i pulled my glock and poked him i nthe nose with it ). As someone said earlier always have situational awareness and control over your emotions and weapon at all times.
Old July 25, 2009, 02:12 PM   #111
(BH)

Quote:
the 2nd time i pulled it i also had a snub nose wheelgun in my face from a guy that thought i was checking out his girlfriend and decided he would rather risk his life by pulling his weapon on me than to just let it go (althought i was checking her out she was a mighty fine looker with a good rack) but thanks to my training from Clint Smith and the exceptional staff at Thunder Ranch i was able to difuse the situation without ever fireing a round (even though he s*it his pants when i pulled my glock and poked him i nthe nose with it ).
That's pretty intense. Why are some guys just so insecure? I see guys looking at my wife all the time and it's almost a compliment (as long as they're not being overtly crude), and I sure wouldn't be willing to go to jail for life over something so silly.

It matters not how a man dies, but how he lives. The act of dying is not of importance, it lasts so short a time.
-Samuel Johnson
Old July 26, 2009, 07:55 AM   #112
RTROYCHECK23

And to say the least my heart damn near jumped out of my chest when i met the barrel of the snub nose i damn near s*it my pants to haha but i held my composure long enough to difuse the situation and not pulll the trigger
Old July 26, 2009, 12:59 PM   #113
BuckHammer

I am laughing right now, because I didn't read the original post before I voted, so I selected the affirmative answer to the poll question and was about to respond with a wise *** comment about how I practice my draw all of the time . I have never had to use a firearm in self defense, so consider this post an amendment, changing my answer to "no".
Old August 6, 2009, 06:51 AM   #114
Firepower!

Quote:
And to say the least my heart damn near jumped out of my chest when i met the barrel of the snub nose i damn near s*it my pants to haha but i held my composure long enough to difuse the situation and not pulll the trigger
Very few people can hold their composure when in high stress situations.
Old August 6, 2009, 01:24 PM   #115
trooper3385

"a vanload of mexicans swerved in front of me, hit the brakes, and then proceeded on."

Nice way of explaning the situation. You would think a Law Enforcement Officer would use better sense explaning an incident. Must of been a Deputy!
Old August 7, 2009, 04:08 AM   #116
maestro pistolero

Quote:
but thanks to my training from Clint Smith and the exceptional staff at Thunder Ranch i was able to difuse the situation without ever fireing a round
You disarmed him?
Old August 9, 2009, 10:24 AM   #117
Ozzieman

Stopped a young man that had stolen my neighbor’s car the day before. The stupid twit stopped at a gas station only ¼ mile from our homes.
When he came out of the gas station I had the gun behind my back and when he walked up to the car I walked up to him and took hold of his arm keeping the gun away I showed it to him and told him to set down and not to move that I knew this was a stolen car.
I think he might have soiled him self.
I never pointed the gun at him since at no time I was in danger from him. A construction worker that was also there saw what was happening and came over and helped by phoning the police. Turned out the kid had a record and had been AOL from the Navy for over 8 months.
Old August 9, 2009, 11:30 AM   #118
dev_null

Never have, hope I never have to. Sometimes just the self-confidence is enough to let predators know you aren't prey. When it's not, all you can do is be prepared.
Old August 9, 2009, 12:02 PM   #119
Dannyl

in Civilian life, Only once

Hi,
I think it was 8 years ago. I was in a busy road in early afternoon, the car in front of me stopped sudenly, and a minibus sadwiched me so taht I could not even open my door, then 3 males started to get out and walk towards me. (this is a typical car-jacking situation unfolding) I opened my window and pointed my S&W 0.40 at the driver (who had stayed in his minibus).

I shouted that they should get in their car and back off, it was not necessary to explain what was about to happen, I had the hammer half-way back with my finger on the trigger, by the time I shouted the 2nd time they were already getting into their minibus.

The nearest police station was only 2 blocks away, so I drove there and reported the incident.

Car jacking that unfold like this or in a very similar way are unfortunately very common here, so the cops took the report and the descriptions that I could give them and left it at that.

Would I have fired if they kept coming? yes, I decided that as soon as anyone tries to break a window or open a door to my vehicle I would shoot.

I am aware of my surroundings, but in this case it was a matter of common traffic turning into a car-jacking situation in a matter of seconds.

As for having the trigger pulled half way? I carry the 4006 with a round in the chamber, hammer down, safety off. the first shot is DA and thereafter SA. I practice with it at least twice a month in a range, and at least once a week dry-firing, and I am very familiar with this gun and particularly the trigger. Do I recommend this to anyone else? Absolutely not. This is something that I am prepared to do if and when I have to defend myself and or my familiy, and this will happen (if ever) again only in a situation where an attack is in progress and I am actively defending myself, but opting to give the BG one last chance to change his mind before I let a 0.40 Hollow point change his mind for him.

I am glad to see that in the US the situation is pretty much like in SA, where crime is often averted by a well prepared (and suitably armed) person, without necessarily having to shoot. ( so far no one has told here of actually having to shoot)

brgds,
Danny
Old August 9, 2009, 12:35 PM   #120
DiscoRacing

hoping the need never arrises.... dont intend to pull it for nothing..
Old August 9, 2009, 03:01 PM   #121
Stevie-Ray

A few times. Never aimed at anything human, and never fired a shot defensively at anything.
Old August 12, 2009, 08:20 PM   #122
RAHatto

On a silver chicken at work

It's a long story but in 2000 I was walking away from a pilot transportation van after denying access into a restricted area (Nuclear) since most of the pilots did not have their ID card (aka Geneva convention card) and the 3 that did, did'nt want to leave their pilot/gunner behind stayed in the van. A full bird in the vehicle (also not prepared for work) apparently got ****** off and came out of the van with hate and his eyes and something in his hand.
When I looked up at my M60 over watch in the up armored Humvee to give him the "those dumb asses" look he pointed past me (screaming) and settled into the firing position. I turned/side stepped right, charged a round and took a knee to see a colonel stop cold, **** his pants or choke on his nuts and change his mind.
I had no idea what to do because at 19 years old I just charged a round and pointed my weapon with intent to end someones life. We put him on his knees the humee driver called control, and I stood 6 ft away weapon in the least threatening way I could think of with out setting it down all together and walking away like it was not mine contemplating how short my career turned out to be. A minute or so later my Flight Commander drove up with lights on and drive the colonel back to his fighter squadron and back to his comfy chair to write his statement.

Flight CC came out later complemented all of us for doing our job (told us we weren't in trouble) and conveyed the Colonel's apology. Did he apologize..? Don't care but I put a 0-6 on his knees on a rare sunny day on hot blacktop and didn't get in trouble.
Old August 13, 2009, 12:22 AM   #123
MauiDoc

TMLynch and UncleBilly; Thanks for the feedback. I may not have Dad or the gun anymore, but at least I still have his gun to remember him by! And I have some spare dads too--Mom was busy!
Old August 13, 2009, 01:00 AM   #124
riggins_83

Three separate cases, only twice did I clear the holster.

Was out walking in the woods, 1AM, middle of nowhere. Dead quiet night, no wind. Heard a branch snap behind me. I spun and drew. Stood there for about 30 seconds with my finger in the trigger guard waiting for a target to be identified. Nothing appeared at all. Quietly backed away and got out of there.. some bobcats have been spotted in the area.

Walking at night in town and saw a stray dog coming across the parking lot at high speed. Was about to draw when it changed course and ran away. Perhaps it had seen a handgun before .

In the grocery store at night with the wife. A very rough looking guy acting stoned and/or drunk yells as my wife from about 20' away "hey little girl, come here!" I spin around and reach inside my shirt (IWB), place my hand on the grip of my Glock 22. Guy walks up to my wife, gets real close and says "where you at now?" Takes another step towards her then realizes she's somebody else. Turns towards me and reaches out for a handshake saying "no disrespect meant for your wife." I wasn't about to remove my hand from under my shirt... he glanced down and apparently realized I wasn't holding a cell phone under there... he turned and walked away quickly.

Came home once with my wife (we don't have kids), opened the front door and the lights were on. I never leave them on. Drew my 1911 and did a quick room clearing of the house. Guess I did leave them on after all... :O
Old August 15, 2009, 09:59 PM   #125
firingpinhead

Today! Was dropping off my friend at his car in the Walmarticus parking lot. I'm sitting in my truck, he is standing at my door, talking. I see a suspicious car (big shiny wheels and fugly paint job) roll by slowly, turn around and come back, parking 2 spots away. Now this is as far from the entrance as you can get, and nobody is parking out here except us.

As the car is pulling up, "Heads-Up! Car behind you!" I say to my buddy. He just gets this confused look on his face, which turns to surprise as he sees the pistol in my hand, still below the window.

"Where did that come from?", he shouts.

The perp in the fugly car, who was sizing us up, hears his shouting, and decided to leave. Or maybe it was my icy stare

Five minutes later, this scenario is repeated with another car. I say, "This is getting too hinky" (bad cop jargon), and decide to leave.

My friend did not know I am a CHL holder. He does now.

Tags
self defense