The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 1, 2009, 08:32 PM   #1
Old Wanderer

No more cast bullets???

I went to sign up for a handgun class here in Washington. I was a little chagrined when I was told, only jacketed bullets allowed.

I have been shooting lead bullets in my 45 for almost 50 years....now all of a sudden I am told it is a health risk to the instructor and other shooters...

Is this just a local problem, or is it becoming the norm.??

(Inquiring minds just want to know )
Old April 1, 2009, 08:45 PM   #2
Sevens

Indoor range? Most indoor ranges these days don't allow lead and/or non-jacketed bullets. Airborne lead particles are much tougher on the air filtration system that they are now required to use, and these systems are expensive to install and maintain.

20 years ago when I was shooting on indoor ranges, it was the opposite. No jacketed bullets because the backstop couldn't handle them. Only lead bullets allowed. And we didn't even have a fan, let alone an entire filtration system.

As for what is dangerous... the lead particles are one issue, but the lead styphnate in the primers is also a problem. Is this a big problem? I don't know. Probably not, but I'm not in the medical field.
Old April 1, 2009, 08:46 PM   #3
cumminsX

Wow. This kind of garbage is becoming more and more prevalent.
Old April 1, 2009, 09:02 PM   #4
kraigwy

I believe Washington is the problem, not lead bullets.

We dont have that problem here.

Anyway I have my own range so I doubt that problem comes up.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 1, 2009, 09:32 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

. . . And if it does, you can petition yourself to negotiate for a change in the rules. Probably a good excuse to get a good bottle of scotch to have the argument over. Invite a few friends to join in and bring the cigars. This is looking better and better for you.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 1, 2009, 09:42 PM   #6
DavidAGO

Most concealed carry instructors in our area will not let you use lead bullets because most are reloads. and they will not let you use any reloads because of liability issues. That is what I was told by the instructor I used.

DavidAGO
Old April 1, 2009, 10:03 PM   #7
bluetopper

I hear Washington State has now disallowed phosphates in dishwashing soap!

Cascade Soap is now illegal to sell there!!!

I think environmental whackos are the problem. Seems people now just submit like sheep to whatever the govt. says...........It's pathetic.

Last edited by bluetopper; April 1, 2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old April 2, 2009, 12:29 AM   #8
Old Wanderer

Well Washington does have its' "Tree huggers", got to admit. When I told a guy at work when he asked about what the company should do about a guy that was sent home drunk....my reply was "Nothing, it is a personal problem, and a each person should handle their own problems, not reach into my pocket to pay for it".....the fellow got totally purple in the face, then said..."Nobody can talk to you.....Ghengis Khan".

Even on open ranges like Front Sight, they seem to demand factory reloads.

Now I am just oiling up my guns that have been ignored for about 15 years or more. I have shot tens of thousands of rounds of lead bullets, so it just not compute with me that it is a health danger.

Guess ignorance is bliss.
Old April 2, 2009, 01:02 AM   #9
Tony C

Indoor Ranges

I haven't found an indoor range in Oregon that allows lead projectiles either. The Northwestern states are very focused that way.
Old April 2, 2009, 06:55 AM   #10
Magnum Wheel Man

pretty soon you won't be able to use brass either... ( seen tha Kali warnings on anything brass lately ??? ) my Starline 32 H&RMagnum cases I just bought from Cabelas ( here in MN ) were wearing the new safety warnings...:barf:

give me a break...

as far as indoor ranges, full plated or copper bullets have been the norm for several years now though...
Old April 2, 2009, 10:53 PM   #11
Gazzmann

Down here in Florida, most ranges require you buy and shoot only their ammo. No outside ammo allowed! Its a bunch of crap. They are just chasing $$$$$$$.
Thank god I belong to an organization with a private range. You reload, you shoot.
Old April 3, 2009, 10:34 AM   #12
Shoney

Washington's Department of Ecology is drafting rules to outlaw the use of all lead containg projectiles from firearms. Their literature to ban "use of hazardous materials" includes all lead but specifically mentions the lead containg projectiles. They specifically mention a poor animal that was wounded with lead and died after agonizing months, and the documented deaths of waterfoul from lead poisoning.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old April 3, 2009, 01:09 PM   #13
tom234

[QUOTE][Washington's Department of Ecology is drafting rules to outlaw the use of all lead containg projectiles from firearms. Their literature to ban "use of hazardous materials" includes all lead but specifically mentions the lead containg projectiles. /QUOTE]
They're using the basis of the lead ban to save the California Condor but there aren't any Condors in Washington. Apparently when they inmported the regulation from Kaliforiastan all they did was replace "California" with "Washington". Ain't the left coast grand ? ......