The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 1, 2009, 03:16 PM   #1
Rickenbacker53

Hornady LNL AP Press Newbies. Do you feel stupid??

I'd just like to make a comment. It's obvious that the prices these LNL Press's are going for not to mention the parts are being bought by NWNB type consumers. Who said " A fool and his money are soon parted" He hit the jammed case on the head there I have been a turret guy for awhile and admit I got Lucky..Found a press at a local small gunshop without alot of Inventory and bought mine for 389.00 and sales tax.

But I DID PLENTY OF RESEARCH BEFORE HAND.

WHAT ARE YOU IDIOTS THINKING ABOUT

DO YOU NOT REALIZE YOUR MAKING THINGS WORSE FOR YOURSELVES . THE NEWS PEOPLE SAY A LOT OF NEW RELOADERS TRYING TO SAve MONEY ON THE RISING COST OF ammunition are starting to Reload. LOL..GIVE ME A BREAK.

3 LNL PRESSES WENT FOR 470.00 OR BETTER ON EBAY. One went for 489.00 with no UPC sticker. If I wasn't so disgusted I'd feel sorry for you. Shellplates are going for 65.00. Apparently you IDIOTS don't realize you can call Hornady and buy direct for $39.21. That's what I did 11 days ago to be exact. It arrived today along with a few other essentials to use the press. Priority mail. The 4 other calibers I figured I'd do the BO thing between Midway and Natchez.

That's another funny thing 2 friends of mine put their name in at Natchez. Monday night around 6pm they both got a text message through email that there were 18 press's to be had for 369.00 :barf: Doesn't that make you guys just sick

I bought my 2nd AR15 Carbine 2 years ago from Bushmaster. Taxes etc came to 650.00 and change. Telestock and I put a Jewel trigger in it..So I had $900.00 into the gun. I took out the trigger and did an auction on G&A website. It brought 1499.00 .. Thats ridiculous. Sure there's a wait but I turned around and ordered a new-one from Bushmaster..They told me it would probably be next August but to really plan October before I get it. But so what. The only way that's going to affect me is if I'm dead-and than it won't matter. And the guy at Bushmaster chuckled quite loud when I mentioned the ban on guns.Hey it may happen eventually but not in the next 12 months..

Wise up you people. You' proved how dumb you were in November and now your just re-affirming it. Plus your temporarily ruining the sport for the rest of us. Had I not found a deal on the LNL I'd have waited. You've went all these years buying loaded ammunition. What's 6 month more going to hurt. Besides if your mind is as limited logically as it would appear. Your work-bench kit from Lowe's or Home=Depot won't go together square and you'll spend that 6months ripping it apart. Did you forget to measure twice cut or hammer once??

Now to anyone that's been reloading for awhile and just had to have the LNL that bad they paid all the over inflated prices I apologize. But to the Newbies that can't wait..Welcome aboard - Maybe there's a class on logic you can attend. Your going to need it to make bullets safely.

Once again anyone who this offended if I Got my facts wrong I apoligise.

I know this is more politics than Reloading but I figure most of the people this is directed towards don't pay attention to politics. They just do what the media tells them they should do..Get it..
Old April 1, 2009, 04:02 PM   #2
bozhoz

Don't be such a moron!

Sure, all the people getting into reloading now (like me) are making components scarce and prices spike, but in the long run, with a much larger customer base, there will be more competition, more products and selection, and prices will be cheaper. Don't be such a short-term thinker. Any by the way, I got into reloading as a hobby, not because of politics. It is a relaxing way to enjoy a Saturday morning.
Old April 1, 2009, 04:30 PM   #3
Greygoose

You complain about what other people are spending their own money on yet you sell a rifle for an exorbitant sum...taking advantage of the situation....sounds a little hypocritical to me
Old April 1, 2009, 04:50 PM   #4
choicesmade24

Reloading

Think about it this way. More than half of the people getting into reloading right now will probably lose interest and after everybody quits with the panic there will be a surplus of good used stuff on the market at good prices.
Old April 1, 2009, 05:39 PM   #5
Rickenbacker53

how is selling Hypocritical

I wouldn't have been able to sell it for that price had it not been for others..And you misunderstand me..I have nothing against someone new to reloading..or anything for that matter. But come on..There Dealers on Ebay selling this stuff for ridiculous money. I think that's actually illegal to be selling as a business for more than MSRP. But this mad rush is bad for the economy not good..Quality control will most likely go down This LNL is being made so quick ..All this is going to do is make a bunch of people a year from now feel pretty foolish.

I had my rifle in an auction. I didn't ask that price..Besides what should I have done say no no don't buy it
Old April 1, 2009, 06:06 PM   #6
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Right now I don't give a rat's behind on the inflated prices if it gets more people involved in firearms ownership. I'm more than willing to deal with temporary price inflations if it draws more people in our culture.

The ends justify the means...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old April 1, 2009, 06:54 PM   #7
CrustyFN

Quote:
There Dealers on Ebay selling this stuff for ridiculous money. I think that's actually illegal to be selling as a business for more than MSRP.
If you look close Ebay is an auction site. The items are sold for the price people are willing to pay for that item. If you think it's illegal and you're that worried about it then turn them in.
Rusty
Old April 1, 2009, 09:19 PM   #8
Jekyll

Wow

Quote:
I think that's actually illegal to be selling as a business for more than MSRP.
So I can press charges against a dealer who sells me an original 1851 Navy for more than the 10-20 bucks Colt listed as MSRP 150 years ago? I'm on that. Let me put all you dealers on notice that you must now sell me everything I want for no more than MSRP (Manuracturers Suggested Retail Price).

How about those high demand, low volume cars that sold for $20,000 more than MSRP a few years ago. Should those people sue for their money back? I'll even allow a 7 year statute of limitation.

Someone needs to go back to night school and brush up on economics, business and law.
Old April 2, 2009, 12:17 AM   #9
Rickenbacker53

Jekll I guess your one of the guys I was talking about

jEKLL YOUR POST MAKES NO SENSE. I AM TO TIRED TONIGHTto GIVE YOU A LESSON IN BASIC ECONOMICs ..
MSRP is a law ..How is it you guys don't know that. M= the maker of the product has to establish a price you can go lower than but no higher.

It's a law to protect the people out there right now who are to dumb to know there's a law..

Rusty yeah I know Ebay is an Auction that's how they are getting around it. I would guess if Horhady found one of their retailers taking UPC stickers off the box and than selling them for 500.00 they would be a tad ******..And that's what is going on. 2 guys have each sold 4 of these in the last week..
Old April 2, 2009, 01:13 AM   #10
Tony C

MSRP is LAW?

What an ignorant thing to say. We are a capitalist society, like it or not. The govt may regulate prices on a few things but very, very little. As was stated earlier one must look no further than your local new car dealer to see prime examples of that. If you are not willing to pay the price then DON'T!
Old April 2, 2009, 06:43 AM   #11
bozhoz

+1 for Tony C. I work in the retail industry and I have NEVER heard of MSRP as law... that's why it is a SUGGESTED price. We mark down from that all the time. With some rare circumstances, manufactures will force a distributor to not go below MSRP (Think high end merchandise), but this is rare.
Old April 2, 2009, 07:03 AM   #12
SL1

The only laws I know of against selling above the "vendors" price relate to scalping tickets to public sporting events. Not applicable to selling presses on E-bay.

But, I have to admit that it seems really stupid to pay more for USED on E-bay than the same thing costs new from Midway, and the shipping is even more expensive.

Maybe the buying frenzy will eventually benefit those of us who remain after it dies down, but it is not helping me now.

SL1
Old April 2, 2009, 09:44 AM   #13
Apache6

Quote:
jEKLL YOUR POST MAKES NO SENSE. I AM TO TIRED TONIGHTto GIVE YOU A LESSON IN BASIC ECONOMICs ..
MSRP is a law ..How is it you guys don't know that. M= the maker of the product has to establish a price you can go lower than but no higher.

It's a law to protect the people out there right now who are to dumb to know there's a law..

Rusty yeah I know Ebay is an Auction that's how they are getting around it. I would guess if Horhady found one of their retailers taking UPC stickers off the box and than selling them for 500.00 they would be a tad ******..And that's what is going on. 2 guys have each sold 4 of these in the last week..
Old April 2, 2009, 09:45 AM   #14
Rickenbacker53

boshoz

Your correct in that MSRP is a price set by the manufacturer above what the true street value of the product is. Some Manufacturers such as Dillon do require their retailers to maintain the price at which Dillon and everyone sells it.

I didn't say it's illegal to go below MSRP to the degree of Criminal Illegal but it is illegal to go above or in Dillons case below MSRP based on what the Manufacturers laws and rules are. It is not enforceable by the government, but it is enforceable by the Manufacturer to the degree of the contracts it sets with distributors.

At this point legal or illegal doesn't matter. These people hording products or paying un-godly prices are just ruining it for the few of us that think and act logical.

Somewhere in every Reloading manual it says there's a law about having over 10,000 primers at once in a residence . I can't remember how it goes but it's in there.
Who told all these nuts, paying the extra long dollar for the LNL ,they were the best thing since sliced bread. Granted it's a very nice press - but who made it the only press.

I realize everyone new to reloading isn't this 1/2 cocked but a lot are. Which proves they haven't read any part of their manuals before buying what they need. It says in the first few paragraphs of the reloading manual. If you can't respect the sport enough to read this first than this sport isn't for you. It doesn't say maybe not be for you it says It's NOT for you. that's is what disgusts me the most.

When I see a thread that starts what is OAL. Help my 230 gr plated flat nose bullets I bought 10,000 of aren't in any reloading manual what do I do. Read the manual and ask the question before you buy the bullets. And why did you buy so many bullets of the same kind before seeing if that's what your gun likes best??

All this tells me is your proceeding 1/2 cocked because you so afraid if you don't get it today you won't be-able to get it. Not true.

So if your ticked off because I used the word idiot. You must think I was talking about you. And if you went out 1/2 cocked without reading anything I guess I am.

The rest of us just have to be patient and wait. What's unfortunate to hear is when the Customer Service Rep at Midway tells me that a large part of things taking longer is really messed up by the amount of returned items bought in a frenzied rush. "We are concerned in the long run this added work we've never encountered before is going to cost us all in the end." What that means is a whole new thread.

What it tells me is the parts I need may be laying in a box in the return warehouse.

I hope those of us who are patient will benefit in the long run. By this time next year I should be able to buy a used gun or a garage full of reloading components for next to nothing.

Hopefully nobody will burn their house to the ground or blowup and burn a city block. It's just goes to show you that you can lead a horse to water but if he reads in the paper or sees on the news their may be a shortage he'll drink until he explodes. Key word there is lead . As in lead

I wonder who in the world paid who to start such a rumor..Funny how powerful your voting or lack of it really is..

NEXT TIME GET OUT AND VOTE

In this case it is not who did it's who didn't that made the out come what it is.
Old April 2, 2009, 09:58 AM   #15
Jekyll

The 4 branches of government:

The executive, the judiciary, the legislative and the manufacturers. Got to love how the manufacturers can establish laws without being elected.

Have you ever entered "yes" in block 9.f.?

PS: My new LNL just came to the door. I'm relieved that I didn't pay over MSRP because I would have been guilty of aiding and abetting in the commission of a crime.

Last edited by Jekyll; April 2, 2009 at 02:57 PM.
Old April 2, 2009, 02:09 PM   #16
bozhoz

Rickenbacker, sorry to say, but there is nothing logical anywhere in your ramblings.
Old April 3, 2009, 09:40 AM   #17
Rickenbacker53

Just 1 example

Hornady Lock n Load Die Bushings 10-pk , for AP Press
Fits AP Progressive, Classic Lock-N-Load, Others
This seller accepts PayPal 8 Bids $66.00 Free shipping

Guy's if you think I ramble I guess that's what Trial Attorneys do is ramble. You keep referring to laws when we're referring to contractual agreements which is a law to the degree it's followed.
THERE'S ONE EXAMPLE OF HOW CRAZY PEOPLE ARE ..BECAUSE I KNOW OWN A LNL PRESS I CALLED HORNADY TO SEE HOW BACK/ORDERS STOOD. SHELL PLATES IN POPULAR CALIBERS AND EXPANDERS, METERING INSERTS ARE READY TO BE COMPLETELY FILLED IN THE NEXT 2 WEEKS- NEW PRESS'S I WAS TOLD IF YOU ORDERED ONE 6 WEEKS AGO PLAN ON WAITING AT LEAST 8 MORE WEEKS SAME GOES WITH BUSHING SETS..

I FOUND SOME BUSHING SETS THAT ARE BEING SOLD JUST UNDER msrp IF ANYONE NEEDS SOME.. i CONFIRMED THEY ARE IN STOCK