The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 22, 2011, 10:34 PM   #1
SauerGrapes

Problem with one pistol and handloads

I just picked up a S&W 5906 today. I tried shooting some LRN handloads threw it. The gun failed several times to return to battery. I had to slap the slide closed.
I went to the clubhouse and bought a box of factory 115gr FMJ which worked fine.
I'm pretty new to metalic reloading. I use these same loads in 3 other handguns with no problems.
The loads are just above the starting load, but they cycle all my guns.
I'm thinking OAL problem with this paticular pistol?
What do ya think? Anything else I should consider?
Old January 22, 2011, 11:13 PM   #2
maillemaker

How were your bullets lubed?
Old January 22, 2011, 11:55 PM   #3
noylj

In general, you need to load for the longest COL that fits in your magazine and feeds and chambers in your gun.
In your case, if you can close the slide, you may just have a dirty gun.
Factory jacketed ammo is loaded to higher pressure than starting load reloads and will slam the slide back further and the slide will have more velocity/momentum to lock up.
Old January 22, 2011, 11:56 PM   #4
JMP

Had a problem like this with a friends p95 but the same batch of bullets worked in everything else. It turned out he was limp wristing it a little and it needed a hotter load. He had them loaded low/mid and bumping it up to mid/high fixed it. Still wasn't a hot load, just a little above mid range
Old January 23, 2011, 04:24 AM   #5
chris in va

Could be a few things.

Lead is a finicky beast. Not all lead bullets are shaped what is intended with FMJ, so OAL needs to be played with. Best thing to do is take the barrel out, drop a round in the chamber and see if it sits the same level as a factory FMJ round. If not, the OAL needs to be shortened, and/or a Lee FCD might be called for. My CZ has all sorts of problems if I don't use a taper crimp and FCD.
Old January 23, 2011, 09:05 AM   #6
dlb435

The S&W 59xx series are very picky eaters. The old model 59 was even worse. Are you using factory mags? These guns will often not work with aftermarket mags. While they are great pistols in every other aspect, the feed problems are legendary. You can try different bullets to see what the gun likes, play around with COL, crimp and sizing. You may even want to get some other brands of dies.
The best approach is to find out what is causing the misfeeds. This isn't as easy as it sounds. You can try polishing the feed ramp, barrel throat and even the edge of the ejector. If you don't feel confident doing this, bring it to a gun smith. Try shooting your reloads in an other gun. A Glock would be best, they will shoot almost anything.
The best start point is 115gr FMJ bullets seated to 1.10 inches. Be sure the brass is clean and shiny, just like new.
Let us know how it goes.