The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 30, 2009, 12:08 AM   #1
zahnzieh

Anchor points and bulky clothes

I know this is primarily a firearms-related site but just one more ARCHERY related entry: My problem in late season is in drawing my bow with bulky winter clothing (gloves,face-mask), I have certain anchor points as references for my bow-string (behind the ear, kisser button on corner of mouth and tip of nose). I know this is kind of old-fashioned. Face-masks, scent-control hoods, gloves screw up this technique because you are now uncertain of these reference points. How do you get consistent technique/accuracy under these circumstances? Any advice would be helpful thanks
Old December 1, 2009, 02:12 AM   #2
wpcexpert

I have approx the same anchor point. I shoot with a light weight glove no matter what the season. I found this gets cold during the late season. I invested in one of the wrap around the waist hand warmers so I don't have to wear a bulky glove.

Over time, I also invested in thinner insulation. This helped to cut down the bulky clothing.

I've never worn a face mask while bow hunting in my life. Maybe it cost me some, but I don't think so. If you are worried about your face being seen, get a $4 compact of face paint. That will handle being seen. If it's a warmth issue, get a mask you can pull down below your chin when it's time to shoot.

If any of this is undoable, just practice with all you gear on...a lot. Make sure to practice shooting from highth if you are hunting from a treestand. I found your impact can change.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old December 1, 2009, 08:24 PM   #3
zahnzieh

thanks for the info! I guess my question should also be what are the reference points variations. I have seen tv shows where the guy only looks through his peep and shoots(apparently his only ref. point) w. facemask and gloves! I guess you could find other reference points or modify your clothing. Another thing that bothers me is that the new camo out there oftentimes comes without an attached hood. At least w. a hood you can push it to one-side. They sell a scent suppressing hat/mask that I would be afraid getting caught in bow-string and again; where are the ref. pts wearing one of these!! I'm confused
Old December 1, 2009, 08:39 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Easy, set your anchor point with that gear on and practice with that gear on.

or, do what I do, which is not wear all that stuff. If it gets below about 20 degrees then I don't hunt.
Old December 1, 2009, 10:35 PM   #5
bowtekhunter

Quote:
I have certain anchor points as references for my bow-string (behind the ear, kisser button on corner of mouth and tip of nose).
I use the same anchor points, id say to practice in the coat and gloves you hunt in for sure, do you have the gloves with the hole in them for your release? those are nice for late season archery..or a heated bow grip
Old December 2, 2009, 01:58 AM   #6
wpcexpert

Quote:
They sell a scent suppressing hat/mask that I would be afraid getting caught in bow-string and again; where are the ref. pts wearing one of these!! I'm confused
The reference points would be where ever was comfortable and whatever you want to make them. The key is that they must be exactly repeatable everytime. This is why I choose not to base my anchor points on what I'm wearing. If you set up your bow for cold weather gear, you either have to re-set it up for warm weather...or not hunt the early season. Or vise/versa.

The best thing to do is adapt your gear around your anchor point. A peep sight would help, but I hate peeps. Early on, I shot a peep. It cost me more deer due to the limited visability during low light. I took it off and haven't looked back. It took more practice to get used to it.

Whatever you decide to do, just be repeatable and practice with it. You don't want to be thinking about your fundamentals when it's killin time.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson