The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 1, 2009, 09:54 PM   #1
ragwd

Case cleaning

I am new to reloading, so I have a question concerning case prep. I am getting the cases ready to reload, they are once fire Sellier Belloit 45acp. I have tumbled 200 cases in corn for about 2 hours. Deprimed and cleaned the primer pocket with a primer pocket brush. I didn't wash them first and there is what looks like powder stains on inside of case, no real residue but just what looks like a stain. Did I not tumble long enough, should I washed them first, do they need to be shiny clean on the inside or am I being too picky?
Old February 1, 2009, 10:06 PM   #2
sserdlihc

Being to picky. Tumbling your cases makes it easier to find cracks and defects in your brass.
Old February 1, 2009, 10:33 PM   #3
armedtotheteeth

i dont know how well these other guys get their brass clean, but , that inside stain just always seems to be there for me. I wouldnt worry about it. Like was said by sserdlihc, it is for finding cracks. It also makes life easier on your Dies.
Old February 1, 2009, 10:57 PM   #4
Sevens

I loaded for a good 15 years... in five calibers and I didn't own a case tumbler and I didn't clean any brass except for dusting it off with a dry rag.

It's much more enjoyable to handle, looks a hell of a lot better, gives you a lot more pride in your work, is likely better for your reloading dies and certainly makes it easier to inspect brass.

But it's not even entirely necessary to make quality, safe, accurate ammo. So yeah, you might not have tumbled it long enough to get it as clean as some folks do, but it's not a problem in the slightest.

FWIW, I tumble my brass for four hours and use a lamp timer to make sure.
Old February 2, 2009, 03:32 PM   #5
dlb435

I always have a little crud left in my cases after cleaning. Most of the time it's not a problem. I'll toss out or wash really bad cases.
Old February 2, 2009, 05:59 PM   #6
PCJim

You're being too picky. As long as the outsides are clean so as not to scratch your reloading dies, you're good to go.
Old February 2, 2009, 10:12 PM   #7
Inspector3711

I don't clean primer pockets any more either... Have found no evidence that it has any effect on accuracy. You're cases are fine.
Old February 3, 2009, 02:39 AM   #8
ragwd

Thanks for the replies, makes me feel better. I am sure that once I have reloaded awhile I won't be so anal about this but reloading isn't something to do wrong. thanks again.