The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 13, 2008, 04:36 PM   #1
SPUSCG

how does express compare to wingmaster

i was at cabelas and saw the express on sale for a little over 300. it seemed like a good deal but how does it compare to a wingmaster? i want a good hd weapon and shoot some clays/start hunting soon
Old August 13, 2008, 05:56 PM   #2
TxGun

Functionally it compares OK. In fit/finish, the Wingmaster is much better, IMO. I'd much rather have a nice used Wingmaster than a brand-new Express. Just a much nicer looking shotgun...again, just MO. I have no problem finding almost-new, but used Wingmasters in the $200 to $300 range. In fact, I've bought 3 in the last couple of months...1 of those at BassPro!
Old August 13, 2008, 06:23 PM   #3
SPUSCG

im bying a first learning shotgun, so it probably will get beat up a bit, ill look at kittery at the used selection though
Old August 13, 2008, 06:52 PM   #4
joegator

I have the Express and it is an excellent value. While I love the looks and blueing on the Wingmaster ( I also own an 11-87) I don't think it is worth double the price. Expresses can be had for around 260. The new laminated stocks are alot nicer than the old hardwood they used to use. For hunting especially for water fowl an Express with a black synthetic stock is hard to beat.

No matter which way you go you'll never go wrong with an 870. If I could only have one long gun it would be an 870 with a 28 inch barrel.
Old August 13, 2008, 07:04 PM   #5
BigJimP

Rem 870 is a good all around gun / the coast guard must still have a bunch of them in service ......or at least they used to put them on all the small patrol boats, etc.

Express is the low end of the lineup / Wingmaster is the high end of their pump guns. Actions and internal parts are similar / but fit and finish on express is a lot less.

Its not a bad pump gun / but personally I like the Browning BPS as a pump gun a lot better. Benelli is also making a lot of pump guns - Nova - Super Nova... also good guns.
Old August 13, 2008, 07:42 PM   #6
Wayward_Son

The Wingmaster has a nicer fit and finish: nicely blued steel, polished and laquered wood. Neater fit between the stock and receiver. Greater attention to detail. It also supposedly has a slicked-up action.

However, if you choose the Express you're giving up absolutely nothing in functionality, dependability or durability.

For a "learner" shotgun the Express is a smart purchase. It's a "duty" shotgun. It's a "working man's" shotgun.

You can always graduate to the Wingmaster later on.
Old August 13, 2008, 08:22 PM   #7
SPUSCG

coast guard is still using the 870 w/ 18 inch as boarding shotgun for at least 2 more years...then benelli autos come around, its the shotgun i will be trying to qualify with and also has a rock solid reputation......only problem is i haven't seen any 18 or 20 inch barrels with the express and i need a hd shotgun
Old August 13, 2008, 08:26 PM   #8
Wayward_Son

I just picked up an 870 Express Turkey. 12ga, 21" barrel, laminate wood stock. Came with a Rem Choke Extra Full for $299. Good for 2.75" and 3.0" loads.

Also good for making me want to blow away hordes of zombies in a post-apocalyptic world.
Old August 13, 2008, 10:02 PM   #9
RoscoeC

Quote:
only problem is i haven't seen any 18 or 20 inch barrels with the express and i need a hd shotgun
They are out there. I bought an 870 express with factory magazine extension and 18 1/2" barrel. I changed the barrel with one that I ordered from Midway. It is a 20" cylinder bore with rifle sights. The barrel with sights was cheaper than add on sights alone.
NRA Life Member
Old August 13, 2008, 10:08 PM   #10
Shiner Bock

Quote:
only problem is i haven't seen any 18 or 20 inch barrels with the express and i need a hd shotgun
Seek and ye shall find.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/95077
Old August 13, 2008, 10:50 PM   #11
MAX100

Remington no longer puts 18" barrels on their 870. They are 18.5" now and capable of 7+1 capacity with the right tube ext that is even with the muzzle. The factory tube ext limits the capacity to 6+1. The half inch makes a difference.

Save some money and buy an Express.

GC
Old August 14, 2008, 01:33 AM   #12
xm21

Do a search and you will find posts by Scattergun Bob and (DFarris?)that tell the differences between the two guns.
Old August 14, 2008, 08:18 AM   #13
oletymer

It does'nt. The Wingmaster has much better finish and a gun you will own with pride long after cheap prices make you feel good.
Old August 14, 2008, 09:54 AM   #14
MAX100

Quote:
SPUSCG I want a good hd weapon and shoot some clays/start hunting soon
It won't have a nice finish for long serving triple duty. There is very little build difference in the two. Why buy a shotgun with a nicer finish when it won't stay that way long. This going to be a working gun.

By an Express and save some money.

GC
Old August 14, 2008, 12:22 PM   #15
TxGun

I have several shotguns that I've used in the field extensively through the years for quail and dove and their finish remains excellent. Obviously, I take a lot of care with my guns. In fact, I have some that are easily 10+ years old that have a better finish than any new Express (yes, I've had one). Nothing against the Express as a very functional shotgun...and they are that. But I'd just rather have a nice used Wingmaster with high-polish blue and walnut than a new Express for the same money. More pride of ownership...but again, that's JMO. Maybe I've been lucky, but I always seem to find like-new Wingmasters for $200-300. Admittedly, I have a pretty extensive network for these "finds".

Last edited by TxGun; August 14, 2008 at 02:42 PM.
Old August 14, 2008, 08:20 PM   #16
akr

You can find a "like new" Wingmaster for $300, but I doubt very seriously that you can find a "like new" one for $200, unless someone is desperate for the money.

NRA Lifetime Member
Old August 14, 2008, 08:57 PM   #17
TxGun

Sure, I understand the doubt, but I do find them that cheap, or close, from time to time. Not just bargains on Wingmasters...I have many other passions. I have an FFL and that helps with contacts. I also have a good friend who owns a large gun shop...and that really helps. I usually get first look at certain trade guns he knows I might be interested in for whatever $ he has in them. (I helped him finance his start-up). But I've also found them at pawn shops for $250 and less, and estate sales, and caught people walking into gun shows (amazing what $200-300 in cash will buy in either of those cases). OTOH, I recently bought a plain barrel Wingmaster in probably 90-95% condition off the used rack at Bass Pro Shop, of all places, for $219 (Bass Pro is usually sky-high, but alledgedly they bought a number of similar Wingmasters from a gunshop going out of business). I had that one cut to 18 1/2" and it's a nice HD gun, especially since almost all of the visible wear was at the top of the barrel. I'm very particular re: the condition of the guns I buy because I may want to turn them at some point if I see enough profit in the trade/sale.

Last edited by TxGun; August 14, 2008 at 10:15 PM.