The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 5, 2008, 09:40 AM   #1
HondaCowboy82

DA 44 Russian

Are these safe to shoot with modern cowboy loads? of course with proper alignment and a great lockup? any help would be appreciated.
Old March 5, 2008, 11:56 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Impossible to know without knowing the manufacturer.

Lots of Spanish copies of S&Ws were made, some very good quality, some absolutely horrible.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 5, 2008, 11:14 PM   #3
HondaCowboy82

Smith and Wesson

My dad has a Smith & Wesson DA 44. Needs some gunsmithing to make it in good shootable condition. Serial of 1843. All matching numbers. Would it be safe, being a Smith and Wesson 4 inch barrel to shoot todays modern loads? Also original finish, what kind of money are we talking in worth. Not trying to get rid of it, just wondeirng.
Old March 6, 2008, 01:16 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Breaktop, right?

The serial number would put it in the first year or two of production.

4" barrel is uncommon.

Value drops off VERY quickly when you get below new in box.

One in very good condition would probably bring between $500 and $1000.

And no, I would not shoot it with smokeless powder, black powder only.

These early frames were not steel, they were ductile iron and are not known for their great strength.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 6, 2008, 08:51 AM   #5
Jim Watson

I was reading David Chicoine's book on gunsmithing such things and he is adamantly against shooting them with smokeless. Says even light target loads will beat them up.
Old March 6, 2008, 12:23 PM   #6
HondaCowboy82

Blackpowder Rounds

Where could i find/buy some blackpowder rounds for the 44 Russian? Its an uncommon gun, and im thinking about getting it worked on by a licensed gunsmith here in town and carrying it sometimes. Any help would be appreciated.
Old March 6, 2008, 03:22 PM   #7
Hawg

A lot cheaper to roll your own. http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe...g=653***691***
Old March 6, 2008, 09:12 PM   #8
HondaCowboy82

BPC

so all they blackpowder bullets will clearly say BPC on the box?
Old March 6, 2008, 10:20 PM   #9
Hawg

I've never bought any so I can't say for sure. Maybe somebody else knows.
Old March 11, 2008, 07:45 PM   #10
HondaCowboy82

Smith and Wesson .44Russian

My dad told the story on this gun earlier today. He was working in an old womans pumphouse (~35 years ago), saw the gun laying there, and asked her about it. Her son had brought it back from the war. Not sure if this is World War I or World War II. She was afraid she was going to get in trouble with it, so she gave it to my dad. He has had it ever since. I looked today and the serial is 1846. All matching numbers in three places. Has the black S&W grips. Im looking for an exact year of manufacture but to no avail. Ran it under somewhere and it said 1871. Just wondering if this would be right? Anybody know a better place to check, please let me know.
Old March 11, 2008, 08:40 PM   #11
Jim Watson

Liklier 1881, the year introduced; maybe early 1882, depending on when they started manufacture.

For ammunition to be shot on "ceremonial occasions" search on
Black Dawge. That is Goex's line of factory loads with black powder. They also produce Black Dawge Pinnacle loaded with fake powder. I don't know if that is as easy on the old guns as real black or not, but it is likely better than smokeless and less sooty than black.
http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,5066.html
http://www.rockcreekarms.com/1145208.html

The other main source is Ten-X who makes only black powder substitute ammo. But if you save your brass, Ten-X will reload it for you.
http://www.tenxammo.com/Pricing.html
Old March 12, 2008, 07:46 AM   #12
a454me

I have one of these revolvers also ,doesn't lock up as tight as it should and has very little nickle finish remaining .I got a box of the Goex Black Dawge cartridges at a gunshow (expensive) just so I could shoot the old gun .It did fire all 6 rounds but it wasn't very accurate ,I don't plan to shoot it any more it's just a conversation piece for now .