The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 9, 2008, 10:33 AM   #1
actionflies

44mag brass question

I am reloading 44 mag with new brass at minimum load so how many times can you reload using the same brass for this caliber?
Old February 9, 2008, 11:01 AM   #2
drail

If you don't over flare or over crimp just about forever.
Old February 9, 2008, 01:17 PM   #3
Hawg

It depends on how hot you load them. If you stay at the top of the charts you'll only get 5 or 6 reloads out of them.
Old February 9, 2008, 01:43 PM   #4
Rampant_Colt

if you use your brass in a lever-action rifle it will wear even quicker
Old February 9, 2008, 02:32 PM   #5
zxcvbob

Until it splits. (usually at the case mouth. You might can then trim it to make a .44 Special case)
Old February 9, 2008, 05:15 PM   #6
Sevens

If you are using light loads, it'll last a long time.

If it's American brand brass (headstamp: A-Merc) then it's already junk bound for the scrap pile. This stuff is the worst stuff I've ever used. I won't be using any more of it. The ones I do have are tossed in to the scrap and "for die-adjustment" box.
Old February 9, 2008, 09:02 PM   #7
FM12

Light to medium loads don't do a lot of damage, IMO. The real wear and tear is when sizeing, flaring and then re-crimping the mouth of the case. Splits start to form at the case mouth eventually from what is generally called "work hardening". The repeated action on the brass causes the splits in the mouth. It as if you take a metal clothes hanger, and began doubling it against itself, back and forth repeatedly, until the wire breaks, same premise.

Be cautious about over flaring and crimping, and it'll go a long way in the life of your brass!
Old February 9, 2008, 10:08 PM   #8
wncchester

Action - "...how many times can you reload using the same brass..."

Maybe the biggest problem with brass life is the actual diameters of your chamber and sizing die so no one can give you a realistic figure for the number of reloads. Light loads won't expand the case quite so much so that helps.

Most of my .44M brass splits in the body due to the over working caused by a carbide die. Steel dies are actually tapered correctly so brass is worked a little less and lasts longer, all else being equal, than brass sized with a cylindrical carbide sizer.

Heavy crimps are really not needed on anything less than full power loads and lighter crimps will contribute to longer case life before the mouths split.