The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 24, 2013, 08:28 PM   #1
Stuohn

Could I have done better?(first build)

First off the estimated delivery date for the following parts is 12/27/13. So in the mean time I wanted to get opinions on if I could have done better on this build.

Psa acs-l lower parts kit 139.99
Psa ss12 g2 premium 16" 1:7 without bcg or charging handle 399.99
Psa full auto nickel boron bcg 169.99
Psa blemished stripped lower 59.99
For a grand total of 798.96 after 29.00 shipping
Then 20.00 for the ffl

I already bought and received

Magpul gen2 front and rear flip sights 75.75
Bcm mod 4 gunfighter charging handle 46.49
I also already had a single point attachment that will replace the end plate that someone gave me.

4x gen3 pmags 59.80
For a grand total of exactly 1001.00.
Old December 24, 2013, 09:11 PM   #2
Tinner666

I haven't built any, but I'd say you could have done better. A Colt M4 LE9620 with MBUS only runs about $900.00.
I keep hearing of others getting it done for less than $800.

Last edited by Tinner666; December 24, 2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old December 24, 2013, 09:13 PM   #3
Tinner666

I take that back. Price went to $1K. http://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail....er=COLT-LE6920
Old December 24, 2013, 09:47 PM   #4
DubC-Hicks

You didn't do bad at all. You'll love your PSA. It'll run with the best of them. And putting it together is a great learning experience.
Old December 24, 2013, 09:52 PM   #5
Grundy53

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubC-Hicks View Post
You didn't do bad at all. You'll love your PSA. It'll run with the best of them. And putting it together is a great learning experience.
Exactly. And also way more rewarding. Nothing like shooting a rifle YOU built.
Old December 24, 2013, 09:54 PM   #6
Powderman

Enjoy that new rifle! One comment...single point slings are good--but try out some other ones, as well.
Old December 24, 2013, 10:00 PM   #7
Tinner666

Sorry I didn't catch the mags too. That's good. I'm also planning on a build someday too.

Last edited by Tinner666; December 24, 2013 at 10:17 PM.
Old December 24, 2013, 10:15 PM   #8
jimbob86

You did just fine ..... You have the rifle you wanted, and made it the way you wanted it made, YOURSELF.

Take some pride in that. You (l)earned it.

You'll always have that, and they are printing money every day..... you'll make more, I'm sure.

Quote:
One comment...single point slings are good--but try out some other ones, as well.
I seems to me that single point slings would be good if you had to have the rifle with you, accessible at a moment's notice, all day, every day, while you did other things that may require both hands to accomplish....... not much use as a shooting aid .......

The m-1907 style sling, OTH .......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaRCFpH27-w
Old December 24, 2013, 10:47 PM   #9
Stuohn

My rifle should look like this except it will have magpul sights.

I was looking at just getting a colt at the beginning and have owned a S&W MP 15 that I sold a while back but, I just don't like the post sights .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1135228_01_brand_new_rifle_parts_by_psa_b_640.jpg (58.0 KB, 66 views)
Old December 24, 2013, 11:06 PM   #10
Tinner666

Nice.
Old December 24, 2013, 11:44 PM   #11
CTS

It's too easy to second guess yourself after you make a purchase. It is even easier to build another one with what you have learned from the first one and/or chage the parts you don't like later if something isn't what you expected it to be. That is one of the nice things about the AR style rifle. It can easily morph into something different.
Old December 25, 2013, 07:43 AM   #12
FALPhil

It would be hard to assemble a better carbine in that price range. I have one which is almost identical, and I am very happy with it. I have other ARs, but that is the one that I keep ready.

You may want to consider upgrading to Lancer AWM mags in the future. I did not put a rail on this gun. Since it is my HD rifle, I figured to stay with the KISS principle. I am loving my ACS-L stock so much, that I am considering retrofitting my other carbines with it.

Merry Christmas!
Old December 25, 2013, 08:54 AM   #13
Nathan

Not too bad. The prices went down right before Christmas. . .or they had other cheaper comparable parts right before Christmas. Of course, you might save a few bucks and end up waiting another month or so!

Since you are ready to build now, that is pretty good.

May I ask why you didn't do the full rifle kits they have been putting together in about 6 combinations for $450 - $550 since about Black Friday? BTW, I didn't go that way either, but there was less availability when I built mine. I placed my orders right before Sandy Hook.
Old December 25, 2013, 10:54 AM   #14
smee78

Thats not bad, I have gone as low as $650 and all the way to over $1000. Building a rifle you wanted will ensure it set up the way you want it and because you built it your self you will know the ins and outs. Congrats on your new build.
Old December 25, 2013, 12:33 PM   #15
Stuohn

I ordered all the Psa stuff on 12/11 but had been looking at the website for a couple weeks trying to figure out what I wanted. I had seen a couple of the premium rifle kits but, they all had the front sight post I didn't want and none of the kits in stock had a stock I liked. I also wanted a nickel boron bolt to start with. I'm still pretty content with my choices. I just know enough to know I don't know everything and wanted to get opinions on if anyone has seen any better deals then I did.
Old December 25, 2013, 05:53 PM   #16
9x19

As is often the case, there comes a day when you need to shoot the engineer and start production anyway!

When you get down to the small details, you can almost always "do better" but the real question is: "Are you happy with what you've got?" If so, don't sweat the minor stuff and just enjoy.

Congrats on the new build.
Old December 25, 2013, 07:13 PM   #17
BillyJack3

Great first build. You can always do better but do you really need to or want to? PSA make some good stuff and you can't beat the price. Delivery just takes a bit of time. Once you finish this one, you'll want another in a different config. It just seems to go on and on and one. Enjoy assembling this one and enjoy shooting it.
Old December 26, 2013, 08:04 PM   #18
smarquez

I think you can only do better in your head. I have a Mega Arms lower with different makers LPK and buffer/stock and a complete PSA carbine and BCG and charging handle. It goes bang every time. The boolits generally go where I want them to go and when they don't, I can tell you why. I'm not going on maneuvers or mall tactical. I can say the same for my S&W MP Sport. I would trust my life with it but I'd rather use a 12 ga for HD. For what it's worth, remember most really nice and accurate hunting rifles aren't mil-spec.
Old December 27, 2013, 12:07 PM   #19
makarov

Jimbob86 thanks for the link to the YouTube video. I have a national match AR that I built, but I haven't been using the sling the way they were in the video. Always learning something on here. As for building your own, I don't regret it. I probably could have spent less, but would not have learned as much and I have a nice rifle to show for it. Just like building a computer, you can buy an off the shelf Dell or build your own and get what you want.
Old December 27, 2013, 02:29 PM   #20
bcarver

better?

What you have is a custom rifle.
You could have done it cheaper or different but if you did not get what you wanted would it be better.
The best thing you did is to do it. I feel we (the US) should be the swiss and have a rifle in every household.
Old December 27, 2013, 02:45 PM   #21
SHE3PDOG

I used to try to come up with legitimate reasons about why I wanted a new/different gun, but now I've just accepted that I really enjoy guns enough to feel okay with buying/building something just because I want to.

If you do build another one, I almost guarantee you that you will still find that you want something different even if you are pleased with it.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old December 27, 2013, 03:25 PM   #22
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob86
I seems to me that single point slings would be good if you had to have the rifle with you, accessible at a moment's notice, all day, every day, while you did other things that may require both hands to accomplish.
Single-point slings suck for that. In fact, all-day carry is one of the things that single-point slings are worst at; the rifle tends to bounce around and get in the way. Single-point slings are good for short-term tactical use, like on a SWAT team or something. But if you want all-day versatility and comfort but still want to be able to carry the rifle so it's ready at a moment's notice, a two-point sling is best.

Stuohn: Single point slings are terrible for what most people use them for. I can't tell you how many times I've seen new AR-15 owners actually use their rifle with their new single-point sling and decide on the spot to go with a two-point sling instead.
Old December 28, 2013, 06:57 PM   #23
Stuohn

Thanks guys for all the responses. Just to clear up one point. I am actually just putting the end plate on the buffer tube now while I'm building the lower so I wouldn't have to do it later and because I already had it.

In case anyone was wondering I received the upper on Friday and it is exactly what I wanted. It was even shipped with three rails 3 rails, a sling attachment, and a small tube of blue loctite which I was not expecting.

The bad news is that my BCG and stock kit were not in the box. I was told by a CS rep( I was calling to verify they had received my ffl's info) that they would ship together and the stripped lower would ship seperately to the Ffl. So now I'm hopeful that they sent the rest with the lower but, I'll have to wait until Monday to find out.
Old December 28, 2013, 07:30 PM   #24
john gun

next one?

Now try a 1911 semi-auto pistol. Parts can be ordered from Fusionfirearms.com to be just what you want and they can/will fit slide to frame for you. And you have a bazillion choices.