The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 13, 2013, 02:46 PM   #1
Mystro

Observation between Froglube and Slip 2000 EWl on my SCP.

As many many know, I Froglubed many of my handguns last week. It seems to work good but the action of my Super Carry Pro feels super fast but more of a metal on metal feel. That wouldnt concern me to much if it was steel on steel instead of aluminum on steel. Its still early but I see no excessive, if any wear. I am a old school guy that has always used grease on my IPSC race guns and carry 1911's. I cleaned the Froglube off and experimented with Slip 2000 EWL on the inside of the SCP. The rails felt more cushioned and that the slide was running on the EWL instead of a direct metal on metal feel like with the thin Froglube. Psychologically, this seems to sit better in my mind that the metal on metal contact has a thicker film of lube between. My SCP is a tight precise fitted 1911. There is absolutely no slop in the action. The SCP feels as smooth as glass riding on the thicker EWL.
Anyone want to share some input on this????

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old February 14, 2013, 08:27 AM   #2
kahrguy

I have not tried ether of those. I use to make a mix ,very small amount of breekfree clp and pro-shot pro gold. Pro gold is a thick lube for heavy wear areas typicaly, so the clp cuts it a bit. Then a year ago our lgs also had pro-shots Zero Frition. This must be much more like your slip200 ewl. Works nicely ,gives a smooth custioning effect.
Old February 14, 2013, 02:15 PM   #3
whiplash

Question for you Mystro...how does that slip2000 do in cold temps? Say under 25ish? Now I use just CLP (glock) but when I carried a 1911 for duty last year I was using Wilson Combat grease and as the temps dropped it seemed to make the slide very sluggish. I did mix that grease with some CLP, and that was...ok. I may try the Slip. CLP has been doing just fine, but does dry out after some time, which is simply corrected by re-lube
Old February 14, 2013, 05:25 PM   #4
AK103K

Are you just using the FrogLube CLP liquid, or are you also using the paste?

The paste is more of a "lube" in the grease respect, and works basically like it.

I use the liquid to clean everything, then remove the excess, and use the paste in the places Id normally apply grease. I dont see any difference in feel between it and the TW25b I used to use.
Old February 14, 2013, 05:26 PM   #5
Dragline45

Personally I would stick with grease on any steel on aluminum guns.
Old February 14, 2013, 05:30 PM   #6
Venom1956

I know lots of guys that like slip.

I don't use any grease or slip on my DWs just Eezox?
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old February 14, 2013, 10:19 PM   #7
meanmachine1961

Slip 2000 is a great product, been using it for years. Recently have been using Weapon Shield and it to is a fine lube also. I haven't been able to decide which one I like best. Couldn't go wrong with either one.
Old February 16, 2013, 06:47 AM   #8
batmann

I haven't tried the Froglube yet, but I have great results with my Slip 2000 EWL. I does seem to really bond to the metal and, at this time, is the only lube I use. It works really well on my AR and holds up to the extreme heat generated in the BCG.
I use it on my Glock 22, but I use so little it mght as well be none, but it does seem to make the slike someshat smoother.
Old February 16, 2013, 12:59 PM   #9
Nanuk

Mobil 1 synthetic wheel bearing grease and Mobil 1 10-30 synthetic motor oil. Works from 100+ to -40 degree's.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old February 18, 2013, 01:49 PM   #10
seeker_4

I liked the Froglube so much I pretty much cleaned everything with it... rifles, revolvers and semi's. Not sure if it's right but I still added a little Slde Glide to the rails jus cuz.... so far everythings great.
I guess cleaning is "your own rules"?
Old February 18, 2013, 05:53 PM   #11
m&p45acp10+1

I use a touch of Pro Shot high temp gun grease on the rails. Just a light little dab applied with a tooth pick seems to work fine on my guns that I use it on. My Glock just gets a drop of oil where needed. It is still holding up the same as the first time I shot it two years ago. I will not knock any of the lubes on the market. They all work so far as I know.