The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 22, 2009, 08:44 AM   #1
grymster2007

Impromptu range day questions

Going to the range today. I'm bringing just the '58 and '63 Remingtons. Got a couple questions.

I just discovered I don't have any wads for the '63, so is buckshot soft enough to shave a ring? What else might I do? Can I stuff a .44 wad in there?

Is 10 - 12 grains FFFG or Pyrodex a good load for it?

I'm also planning on trying some of Raider's 200 grain bullets in the '58. Any good load to start with? Use a wad?

I'm bringing the conversion cylinder for the '58 to try some more of my hand loads, but mostly I wanna shoot Black!
Old May 22, 2009, 10:24 AM   #2
Raider2000

I'll start with the '63.

If the buck shot is 0 Buck shot you should be fine just use a little Crisco or Bore Butter over each chamber to help lub the ball apaun firing & help a little in preventing chain firing.
10-12gr. charge will be a good load in those lil pistols just about as potent as a .22 Long or .32 short.

Those 200gr. conicals..
I'd start with a 20gr. charge & work your way up from there, since the conicals are lubed you don't really need the wads under them so I'd just save em for the Ball.

My lil Pietta NMA likes a 30gr. FFFG charge under the conical.
Old May 22, 2009, 10:36 AM   #3
grymster2007

Thanks Raider!

I'm pretty sure we have Crisco.... we tend to stock products that ain't so good for the cholesterol. But I'll also try and stop at the one gun store 'tween me and the range to check for .31 wads and or Bore Butter. I kinda doubt they have that stuff, 'cause it seems they've seriously downsized their BP section. Probably to make room for stuff to sell to panic buyers.
Old May 22, 2009, 01:57 PM   #4
SIGSHR

I use store brand Crisco-cheap, works fine, cleaning the outsides is just a matter of wiping it off. I would go with 30 grains of FFFg or Pyrodex.
Old May 22, 2009, 03:25 PM   #5
long rider

TIP, if you use crisco like i do mix in some
beeswax it will stiffern up the crisco and
it makes a very good bp lube.
Old May 22, 2009, 06:42 PM   #6
grymster2007

So I stopped at the gun store on the way and they had Bore Butter! I also picked up a bunch of large and small pistol primers and 500 percussion caps. No 9mm, 45 ACP and only a couple boxes of fifty 22 lr... @ $25 a box!

Anyway, took care of my business in Sacramento and headed to my buddy's (actually, I'm his supervisor... poor dude). We threw everything in his jeep and drove the five miles to the range. First we put a couple cylinders of 45 Colt through the '58 and some 44 mag through his 629. Then he shot for fifteen minutes while I struggled to load the '63 Pocket. At 25 yards, I think I hit the paper two out of five, but I slowly got much more proficient at both loading and shooting. The little revolver-with-the-bent-barrel shoots straight and is a real pleasure to handle.

Then he shot for another fifteen minutes while I struggled to load the conicals in the '58. Couple of cylinders of those and I vowed to build the loading stand I have the design and materials for. I then went to round ball and we really started to have fun! We shot both my revolvers, his 629 and his 45/70 lever gun for a while and headed back to his place.

To top it off, we washed up in his garage and went around back to sit on the nice, cool patio. Barely got seated and his missus steps out with a big smile and sets a frosty Cervesa Mas Fina in front of each us. Excellent! Chat for a bit and she reappears with another round of ice cold Coronas and flits away. Just about two minutes later she's back placing plates of fresh homemade Dorado fish tacos in front of us.... mmmmmmm! ooooooohhhhh, man, oh, uh, mmmmmmmm,mmmmmm,mmmmmm

I'm sorry.... I simply can't go on..... I've lived life to it's fullest now and there's nothing to look forward to.
Old May 23, 2009, 04:57 PM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Grym, As the dudes "super", you could give some unexpected OT, correct? So If go ahead and buy that Victory, we could go over while he is busy and have some of those messy-can beers and dolphin tacos?
she would love the redneck from the bikini...
Hope you had fun adding smog to the cali air with that BP....
Brent
Old May 23, 2009, 05:51 PM   #8
Raider2000

Grym;

Is your '58 a Pietta?

If so you may want to do the same loading window mod that I had done to mine to accomodate those big Conicals that I shoot because I bet part of the time was aligning the conicals over the chambers while under the rammer instead of at the side.