The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Closed Thread

Old May 23, 2009, 07:36 PM   #1
CaptainCrossman

Forged steel frames-revisited

Just got this info from an old-time gun dealer here in the northeastern USA, in regards to firearms in general:

quote:

"Guns from the 1960's and before, are much stronger. Why? They were hammer forged, and milled out. In the late 1970's ALL guns, including Colt, S&W, etc., were cast to within a few thousandths of final dimension, and then were lightly finish machined."

I know for a fact, some of the early Italian guns had forged steel barrels, because my brother-in-law has an 1851 Navy Sheriff 36 caliber Colt replica w/short barrel, that says "forged steel" on the barrel, made in Italy.
Old May 23, 2009, 07:59 PM   #2
RRR

Cool! and?
Old May 23, 2009, 08:45 PM   #3
CraigC

S&W's frames are stronger than than they've ever been and guess what, they're still forged! As are Colt SAA's and USFA's. You have yet to actually prove that the Italian replicas are cast and most importantly, what difference it makes. Seriously, where do you come up with this stuff???

Last edited by 4V50 Gary; May 24, 2009 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Noise deleted
Old May 23, 2009, 09:33 PM   #4
Hawg

Best gun I ever had was a cast frame 1911.
Old May 24, 2009, 08:11 AM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

The advantage of forged parts is the metal's grain direction is more uniform because of the blows delivered during the forging process. Given the same type of metal being used, casting's advantage is that it gives you more flexibility in the design and execution. It also allows you to make things less expensively. Both work as proven by S&W and by Ruger. Two different and viable approaches to make guns.

All things being equal, I'll take forged parts anyday. However, this doesn't mean I'll toss out my Ruger Old Armys for a forged replica cap 'n ball revolver.

Using poor metal in either process doesn't mean that the process, whether forged or casted, is not viable. Rather, it is an indictment against the metal (or the negligent manufacturer). Remember the original Colt Walker Dragoons were forged but the metallurgy was poor. That's why so few survived.
Old May 24, 2009, 10:18 AM   #6
CraigC

I think everybody here understands the difference between forged and cast parts. I know I do. Again, I ask what is the source of this information and tell us exactly why it's a problem, if it is indeed true?
Old May 24, 2009, 10:27 AM   #7
SamStafford

Yes, I would like to know that too.
Old May 24, 2009, 10:34 AM   #8
Andy Griffith

S&W hasn't used cast frames since the 19th century.

I don't know about top-breaks, but all hand ejector models have forged frames.

I know the Model 1 "tip-up" .22 calibers were cast, but can't say for any other model. These were not cast "in house" because S&W never had any casting equipment under their roof...at least, until they procured Thompson Center.
Old May 24, 2009, 10:58 PM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

Do indeed cite the source.
Old May 25, 2009, 12:38 PM   #10
CaptainCrossman

Gary- the source in this case, is a private party with an FFL, he doesn't know anyone here, or have any dealing with them- and he surely would not want his private contact info posted on the internet.
Closed Thread