The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 29, 2007, 10:21 PM   #1
Hawg

Felt Wads

For those of you that use felt wads in your revolvers you can get a set of cheap hollow punches(I got mine at Harbor Freight)and a square yard of felt from Wally World and make your own. Just soak in the lube of your choice. Sure beats the heck out of paying for Wonder Wads. Wally World felt isn't as thick but it works.
Old November 29, 2007, 10:46 PM   #2
FirstFreedom

Quote:
felt wads
Tee hee, #7 on the list of Top Ten Things That Sound Dirty But Really Aren't.

OK, very sorry; good tip there; back to your regularly-scheduled programming.
Old November 29, 2007, 11:26 PM   #3
timothy75

Good info, since we're talking cheap wads I tear off a piece of paper towel and it prevents chainfires that otherwise perform on cue without. I havent tried it with lube but I bet it would work that way also.
Old November 30, 2007, 12:30 AM   #4
jtaylor

That's not felt though!! You're using polyester or other synthetic that just melts up into a mess each time you shoot! Hold a flame to a piece of walmart felt and watch it melt or catch fire!
You can and should get felt from Durofelt, I think it's product F1, very cheap for what you get. It's thick dense felt, same as wonder wad felt. I bought maybe a $25 piece a few years ago and there no sign that I'll ever run out.
Old November 30, 2007, 12:34 AM   #5
jtaylor

Timothy, wads aren't so much to prevent chain fires. If you use the right sized ball, you'll shave off a ring of lead and there's just no way you'll chain fire that way.
Wad's offer lube and a media to clean the barrel out each shot. The lube keeps fouling soft, which improves accuracy and keeps the action free moving.
Chain fires are rare and are caused by badly fitted caps, missing caps, or undersized/deformed lead balls.
I used to just lube over the ball, but the wad also helps fill the cylinder, which improves accuracy too!
Old November 30, 2007, 03:57 AM   #6
CraigC

Is it me, or did the Wonder Wads just go up too? I don't remember them being $7/100! May have to start making my own. Before I know it I'll be casting bullets and won't have a life at all.
Old November 30, 2007, 09:01 AM   #7
bosipipes

here's were I got mine.
http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,244.htm

and the felt
http://www.durofelt.com/image_26.html
Old November 30, 2007, 11:31 AM   #8
FSCJedi

No .36 caliber?

Molon Labe!
Old November 30, 2007, 12:42 PM   #9
Hawg

Quote:
That's not felt though!! You're using polyester or other synthetic that just melts up into a mess each time you shoot! Hold a flame to a piece of walmart felt and watch it melt or catch fire!
Maybe so, I just got the punches the other day and haven't tried any yet.

Quote:
Timothy, wads aren't so much to prevent chain fires. If you use the right sized ball, you'll shave off a ring of lead and there's just no way you'll chain fire that way. Chain fires are rare and are caused by badly fitted caps, missing caps, or undersized/deformed lead balls.
I'll have to disagree on that one. I bought my first revolver in 69, a 58 Remington made by Rigarmi. I didn't know squat about bp when I got it and I had chain fires galore. Yes it shaved a nice ring. The nipples were sized for #9 caps but all I could find were #11 so I pinch fit them. Once I figured out about putting lube over the balls the chain fires quit. I still have the gun and I can load all six chambers and only put on one cap and it still won't chain fire with lube over the balls but leave off the lube and it will. I still shoot the gun but I use #10 caps which are still too big but don't take as much pinching as #11's
Old November 30, 2007, 12:47 PM   #10
Hawg

Quote:
here's were I got mine.
http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,244.htm
Here's the ones I got. Not as good a quality as Buffalo Arms but for punching out wads work pretty good.
http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...hollow+punches
Old November 30, 2007, 01:17 PM   #11
Pahoo

Been thar and dun that and would not believe some of messes I've made for myself.

jtaylor; You are correct as anything that is not natural, will leave some bad deposites. Directly proportional to material type and amount. Thank goodness for bore butter as it made it easier to clean. However, the combination of wonder wads, tight balls (Watch it!!) and tight caps, will prevent chain fires. Have to admit the so far, I have never had one but shot with a fellow who had two chambers go off. He was using 1/16th. felt board.

bosipipes: You have listed a good website for felt and I still have some material left over. I use the thick high density "Pure-Wool" felt and its works great. I might add that I do not lube over the ball but sure that would give additional protection.

Fellows; Durofelt is worth your time to visit if you want to punch out your own.
http://www.durofelt.com/image_26.html
Old November 30, 2007, 09:01 PM   #12
4V50 Gary
Staff

Gatofeo (ugly cat), our expert on felt wads at our sister site, TheHighRoad, also recommends Durafelt. Click Here