The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Closed Thread

Old November 27, 2009, 03:21 PM   #26
ex brit squaddie

l85

well done on your purchase, you can tell if its a mk2 because it will have h&k stamped on it.
Old December 2, 2009, 05:22 AM   #27
Firepower!

I just wanted to share with you guys the trigger on this rifle. Despite being a bullpup the trigger on L85A2 is VERY smooth. I would like to know your thoughts on this matter if you have ever used this weapon.
Old May 11, 2010, 04:09 PM   #28
Firepower!

Here is a better picture of my L85A2:

Old May 11, 2010, 05:44 PM   #29
PTK

I've always had a fondness for those rifles. If only they were not so temperamental at times.

Thanks for sharing a good picture!
Old May 21, 2010, 04:13 AM   #30
guyrichards

Hi All,
Am i the only person who finds the fact that this rifle is in civillian hands in pakistan slightly worrying? Think about it, no L85A2's have been supplied as arms to Tribal group's so that theory is out of the window.... I would summise that it has been lost in combat by a british soldier (fate of soldier unknown) and stands a good chance of having been captured by the Taliban and sold to an arms dealer in Pakistan.

Being as i am English i find the thought of a British soldiers weapon being sold and then paraded around the internet as a little untasteful.

Sorry if i offend anyone with this post but in essence what the purchaser has done is support the Taliban's war effort..... in an indirect way.

thanks
Old May 21, 2010, 04:29 AM   #31
Biped

I'd like to echo Guy Richards.

There are no commercial L85 rifles available on the open market.

This being the case, the rifle you have is a stolen British military rifle.

Albeit you may not wish to return this product, are you able to pass on the details of the vendor?
Old May 21, 2010, 04:40 AM   #32
sid10101

Whats the serial number? Might be able to track down some of its history from my armourer.

Any reason its cocked there?

Last edited by sid10101; May 21, 2010 at 05:15 AM.
Old May 21, 2010, 06:19 AM   #33
northernmercury

definitly an interesting looking rifle - can you tell us anything more about it firepower?
Old May 21, 2010, 10:59 AM   #34
Drummer101

Quote:
Hi All,
Am i the only person who finds the fact that this rifle is in civillian hands in pakistan slightly worrying? Think about it, no L85A2's have been supplied as arms to Tribal group's so that theory is out of the window.... I would summise that it has been lost in combat by a british soldier (fate of soldier unknown) and stands a good chance of having been captured by the Taliban and sold to an arms dealer in Pakistan.

Being as i am English i find the thought of a British soldiers weapon being sold and then paraded around the internet as a little untasteful.

Sorry if i offend anyone with this post but in essence what the purchaser has done is support the Taliban's war effort..... in an indirect way.

thanks
Not to be bashing (I am also English) but weapons taken in war I thought were fair game. What about the soldiers in WWll who took weapons home? Even the families in other countries asked for them back and they are not required to give them back. War works both ways. But that is not the point, I would not think this particular firearms was acquired by devious means but fully legal.

Not everyone in Pakistan is a terrorist, some just like firearms.
Old May 21, 2010, 10:59 AM   #35
Firepower!

The rifle is bought and properly registered. The person registering this weapon is duly authorized by the government. I am not a supporter of any rogue element- just an enthusiast like rest of the guys here. Buying a product off the shelf may contribute to people or companies that one may not like or not know.

I didnot want to offend anyone.

Anyway I get enough hate PMs from members here that I have decided to quit TFL.

Good bye fellas and good luck.

Firepower

Last edited by Firepower!; May 21, 2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old May 21, 2010, 11:22 AM   #36
B. Lahey

Quote:
Think about it, no L85A2's have been supplied as arms to Tribal group's so that theory is out of the window
Just because England has never admitted to supplying arms to friendly or neutral groups in central asia doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

The brits are like every other nation. Sometimes their military aid is above-board and recognized, sometimes... it's not.
Old May 21, 2010, 11:43 AM   #37
Drummer101

That is a real shame, I would hope you would change your mind.

Hope the best for ya.

Rob

Last edited by Drummer101; May 21, 2010 at 07:11 PM.
Old May 21, 2010, 12:13 PM   #38
Ducatist4

Producation of the L85A1 ended in 1994, the upgrade programme ran from 2000 to 2002 to turn it into the L85A2 (of which this rifle is one).
The rifle was an export failure with the only overseas customer being the Jamaica Defence Force and Zimbabwe and i think they only have the A1 version.

If the British Government had supplied them to anyone else wouldn't you think that pictures or information would have appeared in the public domain by now?

This rifle must either be a battle field find or possibly stolen.

If it is all above board as the owner suggests then i suggest that he should be more than happy to post the serial number up.
Old May 21, 2010, 12:29 PM   #39
Austin Cowart

wow

I love it when smug jerks make their first post one that totally shows their A#@! Ducatist4, Firepower has been on this form for a good while and is a collector of rare firearms IN PAKISTAN!!!!!!! Jesus!!! maybe if you trolled around a bit longer you would see is very impressive collection of full autos. :barf: OH WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!
Old May 21, 2010, 01:04 PM   #40
Willie Lowman

Quote:
Anyway I get enough hate PMs from members here that I have decided to quit TFL.
Well that's bad news.

Congratulations, jackasses. You have run off one of the most interesting members of this board.
Old May 21, 2010, 01:07 PM   #41
sid10101

Were not trolling here.
Just would like its serial number.
So we can find out if it was stolen or lost in combat.
We are not asking for the thing back. To be honest, my Royal Military Police friend would like to know. to see if we have an armourer selling rifles.. which the RMP are very interested in.
The A2 has never been sold to the public. As it was an upgrade on the A1.

And we have enough of our own 'full autos' infact, i have an armoury full about 100m away from me. Want some pics of the new gpmgs we just got in, not a round through them, except the proof round, gun **** :P

Humm, abit funny he runs away after someone asks where the gat comes from dont you think?
Old May 21, 2010, 01:08 PM   #42
Ducatist4

We'd just like to know the history of this particular rifle as I've already said, the A2 version has only ever been used by the British Army.
Its quite possible that this has come onto the market via a route that may actually be directly funding the Taliban.

Last edited by Ducatist4; May 21, 2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old May 21, 2010, 01:20 PM   #43
B. Lahey

If you have a problem with his lawfully owned firearms, perhaps you should take it up with the government of Pakistan. They are the ones who approved the sale.

We don't demand serial numbers of arms from people on this forum, and they are usually not provided. Guns are assumed to be legal as it is a basic human right to own them. Perhaps you brits should take a moment to remember that.

Or go back to field-stripping your airsoft guns and leave the firearms to free men.
Old May 21, 2010, 02:22 PM   #44
sid10101

Field strip my airsoft gat? Ill remember than next tour.

Sorry for being concerned at a possible act of arms trafficking, forgive me?
Old May 21, 2010, 02:40 PM   #45
B. Lahey

Quote:
forgive me?
Sure, and thank you for your service.

But this is really not the proper place for your inquiry. The government of Pakistan has all the info you wish. The serial number, the name of the dealer, and everything else.

Fire up the diplomatic channels and you may get somewhere, Firepower! is just a lawyer with a legal firearm.
Old May 21, 2010, 03:09 PM   #46
sid10101

No issue with him. Id buy the thing if i could, well if i didnt have access to them.
Just wanted to see where the rifle came from, possibility of rifles being stolen from stocks etc.
Were not getting at him, mainly whoever nicked it, looking at it, its a reserve rifle, as it has an A1 handguard, and its freshly painted, susat is broken by the looks of it aswell.
So, it appears to be a reserve rifle, if they are ending up in Pakistan, then i really need to report it to the RMP, who'll do all the democratic crap, just a seiral number would prove its pinched, and who was responsible for it when it was nicked.
Also, watch out if its a Kyber pass special..
Old May 21, 2010, 06:15 PM   #47
M4Sherman

yea how about yall quit profiling someone because of their national origin. for the love of christ your first post basically said " this dude is a terrorist because he is in Pakistan and has a gun!"

So why dont yall quit with the accusing about something you don't know anything about. Hell most likely it was traded off by some British solider for god knows what. The nerve

P.s we still love you firepower even if these gun-less brits dont
Old May 21, 2010, 07:03 PM   #48
p99guy

M4, I like firepower...but as a policeman, I can see where a member of the British military would really want to know how that weapon got lost...because hell we know it came from Afganistan, its no big guess. I even ask in a nice way.

Owning it doent make firepower bad anymore than one of us buying a M1911A1 that was stolen 40 years ago from the USMC and purchased over the counter at the local Cabelas store. Stuff like that gets into channels. Especially in that part of the world. i allways liked seeing what he would buy next. Im all for him having what ever he is allowed to have, and as many as he can afford.

He would get to keep his L85,he purchased it through channels with gov't ok- the squadies just want to know if there is a crook in thier army, or it was spoils of war/battlefield pickup from a IED ambush site.

in the same situation, I woulnt be offended when ask to help authorites clear up a mystery...hell I would want to know if I had a dead troopers gun.

profiling..that was a laugh.

Last edited by p99guy; May 21, 2010 at 07:09 PM.
Old May 21, 2010, 07:44 PM   #49
Cromlech

I was only an Army Cadet, but I did get to use the L86A1 LSW when I was a senior Cadet. Up until that point I used the L98A1 single shot rifles.
I've not used an L85A1 or A2 at all, though the L86A1 LSW is close enough.

Accurate, but a little bit awkward, and heavy for a 5.56mm weapon.
Old May 21, 2010, 10:19 PM   #50
Austin Cowart

Good God

Hey Ass Hats! It isn’t a matter of your curiosity or his legality. Why not freaking reread what you all wrote in this thread! When it comes down o it you all had to be MR FREAKIN KNOWITALLS instead of being inquisitive new members. Look at yalls post counts Christ in heaven if you have a question ask it but don’t word crap so it makes someone else look like a terrorist or bad guy or whatever! Yall have just contributed to running off a great and VERY POLITE GUY, regardless how you want to justify it. Putting it a bit more blunt I WOULD RATHER YALL LEAVE THAN A REAL CONTRIBUTING MEMER OF THE BOARD! If you are curious if it was taken off the dead body of a fallen freedom fighter and later resold ask that crap in a PRIVATE MESSAGE! If you are curious as to its legality ASK IT IN A FREAKIN PRIVATE MESSAGE! We are all friends here and we are all looking to learn more about this great hobby we all share. So if you have knowledge, share it, if you have a question, ask it, but if you are here to make people think you have something other than a banana in your pants…. Go to a bar. Or … your local gun shop! Now then... If you have just read this and it applies to you directly and it has made you even the least bit angry think about how your previous post made firepower feel and maybe just maybe you will get my rant!

With much love
Austin