The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 26, 2014, 09:56 AM   #1
keithdog

Slip on rubber grips

I'd like to ask if anyone here has used the slip on rubber grips that slide over the existing grips and do you like them? I have an S&W Shield and really like the existing grips. But I'm curious if I would like the rubber slip on grips over the existing grips even better. There are a few makers, such as Lyman and Pachmayr. Do they actually, improve the grip, reduce recoil, improve accuracy as they advertise them to do? Do they grip the gun well or do they have some slip to them when shooting? Would you recommend them? I can not find any in the stores for the Shield to try on first before buying them, so I will probably have to order them. Are they a good investment or should I save my money?
Old April 26, 2014, 12:07 PM   #2
Sharkbite

On a range gun/plinking piece they are fine

I would avoid them like the plague on a defensive/carry gun. I have seen literally hundreds of pistols equipped with these when i was teaching. Almost EVERYONE was taken off before the end of the class

They just dont stay where you want em to.

Ive seen them move up and activate mag releases,, ive seen em Move down and prevent mags from coming out... Then prevent a new mag from going in once the trapped mag was stripped. More often then not they rotate and put the "front" of the grip into the palm of your hand, really messes up the draw stroke

So for a range/play gun, sure. You can make sure its right anytime you want. For a serious use pistol. Id advise against it
Old April 26, 2014, 02:20 PM   #3
keithdog

That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for Shark. Thanks!
Old May 1, 2014, 04:45 PM   #4
armed_librarian

Slip on rubber grips

My experiences with them match Sharkbite's description. They are nice for range shooting, but that's it. I tried one on my USPc and loved the way it felt and looked. However, I carried it IWB, small of back, one day and it had rotated a good 1/2 inch to where I could not grip comfortably without fixing it.

Added: just ran across this. Might be worth looking into. Inexpensive enough to maybe be worth trying even if it doesn't work out.
http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-w...ll-shield.html

Last edited by armed_librarian; May 1, 2014 at 05:57 PM.
Old May 1, 2014, 10:54 PM   #5
JimmyR

I can echo the above responses. I have used them on two firearms- a Ruger p95 and a Kahr CM9. I used the Hogue Handall grips on both. The Ruger worked ok, but not great. The Hogue Jr for the CM9 actually worked better, and in addition to filling my hand better, it also helped overcome the super aggressive checkering the CM9 has on the back of the grip. They have their place, but I would be very cautious before using it on a defensive weapon. Make sure it fits well, and use a blade to trim any excess off to avoid engaging the mag release or impeding the magazine.
Old May 2, 2014, 08:09 AM   #6
Wishoot

I have Hogues on my LCP and they transformed the gun into something thats much easier to shoot IMO. Probably would of dumped the gun without the Hogues.
Old May 2, 2014, 08:50 PM   #7
Louca

I have the Hogue Handall on my HK45C and I absolutely love it. My experience is just the opposite of what Sharkbite mentions where mine has not moved a bit. In fact, it was a little difficult to get on. But, quite honestly, it now actually feels like part of the pistol.

The feel of the grip before I added the Hogue was sort of slick, especially with dry skin. With the Hogue on there, I can perform draws quickly and quite easily, even with only a couple of fingers. And when I grip the pistol, it literally feels like part of my hand and there is no slip at all. Be sure you get the right grip for your pistol.

So I would have to say at least for the HK45C, if you just want to plink it might be OK to not use one; if you need a solid secure grip, you really should try one. They are fairly inexpensive and are the only accessory I will have on the HK.

Lou
Old May 3, 2014, 06:09 AM   #8
foxytwo

I have the Hogue grips on a Keltec PF9 and they do not move even after firing over 400 rounds and lots of draws. I would not remove them..
Old May 5, 2014, 05:58 AM   #9
Shadow9mm

I had mixed results with the slip on grips like the Hogue and would NOT recommend them. They did help with comfort for my wife on a Bersa 380, however the grip liked to rotate from side to side and was removed. I just got a Talon stick on decal grip with the rubberized texture and would HIGHLY recommend it. At $17.99 with free shipping in the U.S. you really ant go wrong.
Old May 5, 2014, 03:40 PM   #10
redrick

I have the Qwik Grip on my Kahr P9 and it improved the feel 100% . They were not easy to put on and they have not moved since .
Old May 5, 2014, 04:10 PM   #11
Water-Man

+1 for the Talon Grips. I have them on several guns and have gotten nothing but positive results.
Old May 8, 2014, 10:15 AM   #12
jmr40

The best versions I've used are those made from a bicycle inner tube. About $10 at Walmart will make 15-20 of them. Cut about 2"-3" of tube off, slide over the grip and trim with a sharp knife to fit. They are thinner and do not add enough to the grip circumference to be a problem. They do eliminate the slick feel and make it much easier to maintain a good grip on the gun. Even when wet. They even conform to molded in finger grooves.

I have them on most of my plastic framed pistols and AR's. Some have been in place for 10 years or more with no issues at all. I've tried the store bought versions as well as the stick on ones. The stick on's eventually peel at the corners. The bike tube works better and if it ever needs replacing is practically free. One innertube will last a lifetime for several guns.