The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 4, 2015, 05:34 PM   #1
P71pilot

Which automatic .22 do you like best?

I have been thinking about getting a .22 handgun lately. Mostly just for the versatility. Rabbit, squirrel, etc..
Anyways I prefer semi-auto handguns and I know they would usually require high velocity loads to reliably cycle. I would max out my budget at $350 so I was looking at these models, both new and uses.

Ruger mk1
Ruger mark 2
Ruger 22/45
S&W 22a
Beretta neos

I want the pistol as a hunter/ target shooter. So don't really care for the models that are a copy of larger calibers. Does anyone own any of the guns I listed and if so what are your opinions on it? I like reliability first and accuracy second
Old January 4, 2015, 05:46 PM   #2
chris in va

Probably want the Ruger Mk3 Hunter. I don't know if you can get it for $350 though.
Old January 4, 2015, 05:56 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Any of the Rugers. It is just about impossible to wear out a Ruger .22 auto, so if money is tight you might look at an older model. For hunting small game, you will want a target model with good target sights (under all that fur, a squirrel is a darned small animal). I don't especially like the .22/45, but it is a matter of personal preference.

Jim
Old January 4, 2015, 05:59 PM   #4
Cheapshooter

Conspicuous by it's absence on your list..........
Browning Buckmark Camper
Fits in your price range if you look around. Even sometimes at the big box sporting goods, and outdoor stores if you find a sale. I think mine was something like $319 at Cabelas on sale a couple years back.
Plenty accurate for your needs, well built, and reliable.
Just a suggestion for another one to add to your list.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 4, 2015, 05:59 PM   #5
lefteye

I have Ruger Mk II stainless with a bull barrel. I have had it for a long time. It is a very accurate. I used to hunt squirrels and rabbits with it. It gets my vote, but I also like the 22/45. I don't know if a decent used Mk II is likely to be available at $350.
Old January 4, 2015, 06:17 PM   #6
Sevens

From your list, I would rate the Ruger Mark II at the top for sure, followed closely only by the Ruger Mark I. The Beretta Neos, S&W 22A and the 22/45 I would put so far down the list that they would fall off and be forgotten with no regrets.

To be fair, I have no hands-on experience with the Beretta Neos, but my eyeballs work and my brain interprets what those eyeballs see and the design guy was sloshed that day and his boss must have been buying the drinks and matching his effort. The Smith & Wesson 22A is a pretender and is much more suited to the class of toy-like rimfire guns rather than serious, solid, dependable pistols. The Ruger 22/45 and from what I have seen in the Mark III guns are simply a step back from the Mark II which is the undisputed pinnacle of the design, a design which was the BEDROCK for the success of the Ruger company.

If we may venture from the list, I can heartily recommend three others immediately. First is the Buck Mark, which I don't particularly care for in actual use (mostly due to the difficult to grab and manipulate slide) but I do own one and I can attest to it's build quality, accuracy and durability.

Next would be the Sig Trailside, available now under the name X-esse, which was a budget target pistol built by Hammerli in Switzerland. Mine is extremely accurate and has the finest trigger I happen to have in a rimfire pistol and I own a few. I cannot speak to it's longevity/durability, but I got mine used and I've only managed to put a bit over 1,300 rds through it thus far, but it is absolutely a keeper.

Lastly, consider a classic Colt Woodsman, which was the king of them all before the Ruger semi-auto was it's first genuine competitor in the market. As they made the Woodsman and it's variants for -MANY- years, their collectible prices are definitely kept in check especially when you find them with some genuine wear. This, coupled with the extremely high numbers of them built means that you can own a fantastic shooting example of one of the finest handguns in man's history without paying crazy high collectible prices. You end up with a very refined and extremely well built classic. I cannot say enough about these fine pistols. Shop for Second and Third Series pistols from ~1950 through the late 1970s. One of these will certainly cost you more than the others in this discussion, but they are fine handguns.
Old January 4, 2015, 06:32 PM   #7
ritepath

For range time my MKII

For OC when I fish my SR22.

I really miss my MKIII hunter.
Old January 4, 2015, 06:38 PM   #8
histed

I once owned a 22a - FWIW avoid them like the plague! Mine was a total PITA, constant miss fires, light strikes, and very ammo sensitive. Better off with one of the Rugers.
Old January 4, 2015, 06:43 PM   #9
IdahoG36

I have owned several over the years, and only have one left in my safe. It's a Beretta 21A Bobcat 22lr. I just have so much fun shooting that little gun!
Old January 4, 2015, 06:43 PM   #10
herdman

M&P 22 for a range plinker.
Old January 4, 2015, 07:02 PM   #11
tallball

I have shot a LOT of 22 handguns over the years. The best by far is my FiL's Ruger mark II target model.
Old January 4, 2015, 07:10 PM   #12
Deja vu

I have a 22/45 that I like alot. I also have a Walther P22 that needs a suppressor or it does not run right.

Most any thing Ruger is a good 22 handgun.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old January 4, 2015, 07:27 PM   #13
lee n. field

Quote:
Which automatic .22 do you like best?

Ruger mk1
Ruger mark 2
Ruger 22/45
S&W 22a
Beretta neo
Have a Mark II Target. It's great.

Quote:
they would usually require high velocity loads to reliably cycle.
Mine does not seem to be at all ammo sensitive.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old January 4, 2015, 08:11 PM   #14
Boogershooter

Any of the rugers!
Old January 4, 2015, 09:31 PM   #15
Darker Loaf

I really like the 22/45's from Ruger. It's kind of silly, but I am fond of G-10 and you can put custom G-10 grips on yours. Also, having it be a Ruger pistol, you can customize it a lot from Volquarsten, which is a big plus for a customization fiend like myself. All of the above are good choices, however.
Old January 4, 2015, 09:49 PM   #16
HMC8404

Ruger MKII with a bull barrel. You can't loose.
Old January 4, 2015, 09:50 PM   #17
delsol

I have shot my S&W - M&P 22 once or twice a week for over a year now without any problems. Just a fun pistol to shoot!
Old January 4, 2015, 10:29 PM   #18
Rogervzv

My favorite .22LR pistola is the Ruger Mark III

Old January 4, 2015, 10:37 PM   #19
skizzums

I only have experience with the ruger sr22, the colt woodsman, the berretta neos and the iver Johnson trailsman. the iver Johnson is the only one that NEVER jams. the neos is still very new, less than 200 rounds, but am having signifigant jamming TM. the trailsman also has a handy size and weight, carries mych like a standard compact pistol and is comfortable to the hand. I have been aving some trouble getting the sights just right on he ruger, its a great built gun, but it is also having a good bit of jams, not as bad as the neos though. accuracy wise, the colt is winning, the trailsman in second and the neos in third. the neos seems to just be short cycling, hopefully it will break in. but for the money, check out the iver. the ruger may well be the most accurate, but I need more time with it
Old January 4, 2015, 10:39 PM   #20
saleen322

Hard to beat a Ruger MkII
Old January 4, 2015, 11:52 PM   #21
hornetguy

I have a Ruger MkII with the 5.5" bull barrel, stainless. I've had that gun for a lot of years... 30? or so... and it's been basically flawless. It prefers the higher end ammo, like CCI Mini Mags, but it also likes the Federal stuff that comes in the 525 round boxes. Can't remember what it's called...
I also have a Browning Buckmark that I bought in the 80's, and recently re-acquired... its trigger is a little crisper than the Ruger, but I shoot the Ruger better. After putting around 10,000 rounds through a gun, you tend to develop a relationship with it.
My only complaint with the Ruger is the weight. I plan to either put together a lightweight Ruger using a PacLite upper, or just buying a Ruger Lite gun already assembled. That would have to be the closest to perfect plinking/backpacking/kit/whatever .22 pistol EVER.
Old January 5, 2015, 01:36 AM   #22
biohazurd

The Ruger Mark Series is my preference. Grew up shooting the Mark I and Mark II. I shoot a bare stock Mark III standard fixed sight. It is my go to target and small game hunting pistol. Keep It Simple Stupid...
Old January 5, 2015, 08:25 AM   #23
Shadi Khalil

I own and shoot a 22/45 and it's one of my all time favorites.
Old January 5, 2015, 09:18 AM   #24
aarondhgraham

For what you want to do,,,

For what you want to do,,,
Quote:
Rabbit, squirrel, etc..
Any of those guns will do just fine,,,
The SR-22 being the least applicable,,,
But that's only because of the short barrel.

My SR-22 is a reliable performer,,,
But it's more of a tactical trainer than a hunting pistol.

Any Ruger (MK-II, Mk-III, 22/45) will last you the longest,,,
They have great accuracy and are built like tanks,,,
And if you like to fiddle with your firearms,,,
They have the most after-market stuff

The S&W 22A is a decent gun,,,
Entry level into target style pistols,,,
It has a very fat grip that some don't like.

Mine has more inherant accuracy than I can utilize,,,
And it's initial cost is less than $250.00,,,
If you like a fat grip try one out.

The Beretta NEOS is a fine accurate pistol,,,
It has a space-age science-fiction look that turns some people off,,,
It's accurate, reliable, and easy to clean but does have a very slender grip profile.

I own Ruger 22/45, Ruger SR-22, S&W 22A, and Beretta NEOS,,,
My personal favorite for target shooting is the Beretta,,,
My choice for tin cans and playing James Bond,,,
That goes to the Ruger SR-22.

They are all good guns,,,
Choose the one that fits your hand,,,
I maintain that is more important than specs.

Happy gun-hunting.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)

Last edited by aarondhgraham; January 5, 2015 at 11:21 AM.
Old January 5, 2015, 10:20 AM   #25
ammo.crafter

MK I

I have won more PPC matches in 2014 than I can recall using my old Ruger MK I with a Volquartsen upper receiver shooting against others who have very hign-end .22 pistols.

The MK I is a fine pistol at a reasonable price as are the other Marks as well.

These are fine guns for bullseye, steel shoots, PPC etc.

Tags
.22lr , automatic , ruger , semi