The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 16, 2015, 12:34 PM   #26
ZVP

Oh how I despise that misshapen piece of the revolver!
I own 3 Piettias and have had to reshape the forward edge a bit and then do a major reshape to the rear portion. I first round off the edge, then do the vertical rounding ( careful not to go too far and creating a sharp edge by filing into the sholder stock cut). To make each individual gun "fit" you need to allow for grip thickness, you try and fit many times.
My Police model Piettia needed no reshapeing at all due to grip thicknesses! Even the "point" doesn't dig into the Palm of the Hand! Odd but true!
Generally, one has to reshape the rear of the grip though.
The end result is a modified
Gunfighter" grip shape as some companies call their shapes.
Mot of all you try to make the revolver sit low in the hand. with the web of the trigger hand close as possible toward the front of the gun.
Sounds complicated but takes less then 1/2 hr with steel wool rubbing, changing files to cut the brass and final polishing. Usually no stain necessary.
I wonder who the fool is that first adopted this awful shape anyhow?
Old January 16, 2015, 03:42 PM   #27
44 Dave

One Navy is a Uberti London, on the other I replaced the grip frame and grip,
Old January 17, 2015, 05:32 PM   #28
AKexpat

@ Gunfixr:

Quote:
If you're going to shoot it a lot, get steel.
Back in the 80s, I stretched a 36 cal navy frame in about a year, a lot.
Still sits on the mantle, hasn't been fired in decades now. With the end slop, it may not fire.
Ok, I'm gonna ask the stupid question:

If a brasser open top gets stretched, I'm thinking one might be judiciously able to "bend it back" to close to original tolerances? I don't own a brasser and only have a steel Pietta 1851 Navy .36 cal.

I have read many treatises about tightening up Pietta and Uberti 1851's using many various methods. I somehow cannot believe that some brass frame revolvers (or its parts) that have not been totally abused cannot be rescued somehow with modern machine tools just because of some frame stretching, and I would think it would be at the top (open) end. Brass is soft and can be re-bent somewhat easily using some type of ingenuity, I would think.

Push back, please.
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
Old January 17, 2015, 05:46 PM   #29
Hawg

Because its not just bending, its also stretching and when its rebent it wont always go back to where it was and its not just stretching its also battering of the recoil shield which shows up first. I suppose both could be fixed but IMO its just not worth the effort.
Old January 17, 2015, 05:50 PM   #30
MJN77

Quote:
If a brasser open top gets stretched, I'm thinking one might be judiciously able to "bend it back" to close to original tolerances?
Bending and stretching are two different things. Bending is like making a spoon look like a letter "L". Stretching is like pulling the ends of a rubber band in separate directions. How do you bend a stretched out rubber band back into shape?
Old January 17, 2015, 06:00 PM   #31
AKexpat

OK! Just wanted to get it straight in my brain.

I'm always one for salvaging things. I guess those stretched brassers are just wallhangers or parts guns. Thanks for the info.

Glad I bought steel.

Jim
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
Old January 19, 2015, 11:16 PM   #32
Hellgate

The frame doesn't really get stretched. Either the frame threads for the arbor get stripped (breech position of the barrel is now more forward) or the recoil ring on the recoil shield gets pounded back (indented by the back of the cylinder) so the cylinder will then move more rearward. Either case will make one think the frame has "stretched" because there is more back and forth movement of the cylinder along the arbor.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old January 22, 2015, 01:50 PM   #33
jackmoser65

Quote:
I'm with Hawg, .44 cal 1851 Navies.....are an abomination.
Horse hockey! There's nothing not to like about a big bore Colt with an octagon barrel. They're made in Italy for God's sake, you really gonna hold a historically incorrect chambering against them? Aren't you also hot for stainless replicas? Come on guys, live a little.
Old January 22, 2015, 02:41 PM   #34
Lt. Skrumpledonk Ret

My steel-frame broke recently. The trigger bolt spring broke (I don't know how they came up with the name 'trigger bolt spring'). Now the hammer won't stay cocked. Perhaps I should take the thing entirely apart for cleaning, not just take off the barrel and cylinder. What do you think?

I've taken the part off my brass-frame .44 Navy and was about to put it on the steel-frame but the screw holding it on the steel-frame stripped since it is as soft as lead. Now I need a counter-clockwise drill bit to back the screw out.

I'll have to relegate the brasser to 'parts gun' and buy another steelie during the next holiday sale at Cabelas. I can't wait.
Old January 22, 2015, 05:24 PM   #35
AKexpat

@Model12Win

Quote:
I love my Pietta Colt .44 navy, it's got the brass frame the confederates used because it was cheaper and doesn't rust.
Nope, you're right. Brass doesn't rust, but it does corrode faster than steel (look for the brown/green color) and it does discolor rapidly when exposed to natural oil/dirt from your hands. Luckily it can be shined up with 0000 steel wool in seconds.

I wish the repro manufacturers would make frames from bronze (like the old swords in the BC Greek/Persian eras). Stronger and last a lot longer.
Old January 23, 2015, 05:37 AM   #36
Hawg

Quote:
They're made in Italy for God's sake, you really gonna hold a historically incorrect chambering against them?
Yep

Quote:
Aren't you also hot for stainless replicas?
nope

Quote:
Come on guys, live a little.
Not like that.
Old January 23, 2015, 11:24 AM   #37
jackmoser65

I was quoting Fingers, the stainless comment was directed at him.

I've got everything from .31 pocket models to the Walker and Dragoon, along with everything in between and the four .44 1851's are among my favorites. Big bore + octagon barrel = good stuff!

Lighten up. If I was going to be 'that' picky, I'd only buy Colt's.
Old January 23, 2015, 12:19 PM   #38
Fingers McGee

Yep, I'm on the lookout for all of the SS models made by Uberti. They are all accurate to the originals except that the alloy used SS rather than carbon steel/malleable iron. I do not have a problem with brass framed Colt style open top revolvers as long as they are in the correct .36 caliber. There were numerous brass framed Colt styled revolvers made back in the day; but, NONE OF THEM WERE .44 Caliber!
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old January 23, 2015, 12:24 PM   #39
jackmoser65

I guess making them in an alloy that didn't exist is fine, as is making them in Italy, as long as they're not made in a chambering that did exist but was not offered. Mmmmkay.....that's not hypocritical at all.

The point being, I think you guys can say you don't like them, or prefer something else, without calling them an abomination and putting everyone who owns one on the defensive. At least, that's how mature, respectful adults converse. I think stainless Colt percussion replicas are an abomination but would never say that in polite conversation. I suppose the notion of "polite conversation" is a foreign concept on the `net.

Quote:
Admittedly, I do own a pair of Pietta laser engraved, polished in the white, Marshal Model 1851s in .44. But they're mainly used as BBQ guns now days.
Do you consider yours abominations, or is that only if they belong to someone else???

Last edited by jackmoser65; January 23, 2015 at 12:30 PM.
Old January 23, 2015, 01:37 PM   #40
maillemaker

I like the stainless guns. I don't own one - wasn't willing to pay the premium for the Stainless, but I sure do like the ease of maintenance of stainless guns!

Steve
Old January 23, 2015, 04:46 PM   #41
Fingers McGee

Yep, they are. At least they're not brass.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old January 23, 2015, 05:58 PM   #42
ZVP

Well I do own a 44 Brasser, it was my first BP revolver and I made a mistake 2 ways.
It actually shoots very smooth and accurate!
Yea I like Stainless everythings!
Wish origonal Bowies were Stainless!
ZVP
Old January 24, 2015, 10:22 AM   #43
MIOkie

When did the word "abomination" become a personal insult...?
Old January 24, 2015, 11:32 AM   #44
MJN77

Quote:
The moment someone pretending to be a "mature and respectful adult" took it as one. Notice that he's the only one acting "defensive". I guess he doesn't care for differing opinions. Just for the record, I think .44 "navies" are an "abomination" too, and I used to own one.
Old January 24, 2015, 11:56 AM   #45
jackmoser65

Quote:
So it would be okay to call your mother an abomination???

Quote:
I guess he doesn't care for differing opinions.
Like I said..."I think you guys can say you don't like them, or prefer something else, without calling them an abomination and putting everyone who owns one on the defensive."

Sorry for trying to get a couple sticks in the mud to lighten up.

I will go forth and enjoy my abominations. I pity those who don't.
Old January 24, 2015, 12:04 PM   #46
MJN77

Quote:
So it would be okay to call your mother an abomination???
No one did that.

Quote:
I will go forth and enjoy my abominations. I pity those who don't.
No reason to pity me. I very much enjoy the fifteen Uberti replica revolvers I currently own.

I pity folks that can't hear differing opinions without getting a case of butthurt about their choice of words.

Have fun with your abominations.

Last edited by MJN77; January 24, 2015 at 12:10 PM.
Old January 24, 2015, 12:17 PM   #47
jackmoser65

You didn't answer my question.

Quote:
I pity folks that can't hear differing opinions without getting a case of butthurt about their choice of words.
I pity those who lack the intellect to share their differing opinion without being offensive. "I don't like them because they're not historically accurate" is a differing opinion that won't cause an argument. "They're an abomination" is an insult that obviously will cause an argument.....because it did. I'm very sorry that you're so offended because someone felt the need to point out such an inflammatory statement.
Old January 24, 2015, 02:14 PM   #48
Hawg

Quote:
I pity those who lack the intellect to share their differing opinion without being offensive. "I don't like them because they're not historically accurate" is a differing opinion that won't cause an argument. "They're an abomination" is an insult that obviously will cause an argument.....because it did. I'm very sorry that you're so offended because someone felt the need to point out such an inflammatory statement.
Not only are they an abomination they're blasphemous bordering on sacreligous
Old January 24, 2015, 04:26 PM   #49
MJN77

Quote:
I pity those who lack the intellect to share their differing opinion without being offensive.
Actually sport, in this entire thread, you and only you are the one person to be offended.

Quote:
"They're an abomination" is an insult that obviously will cause an argument.....because it did.
No, again, YOU are the only one that is having an argument. Not one other person in this conversation got worked up about anything. Just you.

Quote:
I'm very sorry that you're so offended because someone felt the need to point out such an inflammatory statement.
Again, you're the only fellow that has gotten offended. I'm not offended at all. I've been having a good ol' chuckle since you first flipped your lid over something so trivial.

As far as you questioning someone else's intellect, you might want to look at who is throwing a tantrum over a word used in an opinion to describe an inanimate object that has no feelings. If you like them, that's fine. Nobody cares. No reason to be petulant about it.

I'm done with this crap.

Last edited by MJN77; January 24, 2015 at 05:46 PM.
Old January 24, 2015, 07:31 PM   #50
Fingers McGee

Boy, this is getting good. Glad winter isn't over yet.