The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 1, 2010, 02:02 AM   #1
Chaz88

I think I might need a ninja intervention.

Today I bought the most non traditional gun I have ever had.
I got a Howa 1500 in .223 with the Christensen Arms carbon fiber wrapped barrel on a Axiom stock. I topped it with a Hawke SideWinder 30 scope on Burris rings and Weaver mounts. I haven't even had it out of the house yet and I am already falling in love with it. (new toy syndrome) I hope it becomes the tack driver I want it to be.

So is there still hope for me or am I doomed to become a mall ninja?

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.

Last edited by Chaz88; February 2, 2010 at 09:43 AM.
Old February 1, 2010, 02:21 AM   #2
FrankenMauser

It is a Howa, so you get some "traditional" points. The Weaver mount is in a gray area. But... the rest of the equation points to mall ninja.

Balance the equation. Don't fall into mallninjaville. If you do, you can't come back.

Let us know how it shoots.
Old February 1, 2010, 02:26 AM   #3
Chaz88

I am not sure if it helps or not. The stock is camo instead of black. Although I will admit I originally wanted it in black. But it was a one rifle sale item. So black would have cost a lot more.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old February 1, 2010, 02:33 AM   #4
Buzzcook

Just wear levis with button on suspenders and it'll balance out a tun of ninjaness.
Old February 1, 2010, 06:52 AM   #5
IZZY

Well if you going to be a "ninja" at least be historically accurate.

http://natori.co.uk/natori/episodes#
Old February 1, 2010, 10:16 AM   #6
Chaz88

Quote:
Just wear levis with button on suspenders
Strangely enough I have some button on suspenders. The only problem is they go with my dinner dress blue tux. If I could still fit in it, might be worth it just for the looks I would get at the range. But then of course I would need to get a PPK and a license to kill, paper targets.

Old February 1, 2010, 11:19 AM   #7
Doc Intrepid

No worries.

Just start channeling your 'inner-Bubba'.

It helps if you wear a pair of OshKosh-B'Gosh Overalls and a hat.

Mall-Ninjaness fades rapidly in the presence of Bubbadom.

Old February 1, 2010, 02:20 PM   #8
tINY

Stop - right now.

Go get yourself a SSA in 45 colt. Or, better yet, an 1860 Colt in 44...

-tINY

Old February 1, 2010, 04:13 PM   #9
Chaz88

Quote:
It helps if you wear a pair of OshKosh-B'Gosh Overalls and a hat.
Would one of my old Navy command ball caps and my insulated Carhartts be close enough?

Quote:
Go get yourself a SSA in 45 colt. Or, better yet, an 1860 Colt in 44...
I also bought a early 1900's Damascus barreled shot gun this weekend. Dose that help balance the equation some?

Boy! I never new it was going to be so hard to avoid total conversion.

Old February 1, 2010, 04:21 PM   #10
mapsjanhere

Quote:
I also bought a early 1900's Damascus barreled shot gun this weekend. Dose that help balance the equation some?
Depends, have you started to run the barrel under the bar code scanner to check for hidden messages?
Old February 1, 2010, 04:28 PM   #11
Abel

You will need to buy a Blue Tick Coon Hound to ride around with you in your pickup. This will counter-effect any mallninjaness.

http://swampmusickennels.web.officel...m/default.aspx
Old February 1, 2010, 04:37 PM   #12
Chaz88

LoL.. Haven't used a bare code scanner.

A Blue Tick sounds like a great, idea for many reasons! I once had a Treeing Walker hound that I just loved. Problem was he hated everyone but me. Also I was down south where they are big money in the competition coon hunting crowd so people kept trying to steal him from the yard. On the plus side he liked to bite my ex-wife now and then.

Old February 1, 2010, 06:42 PM   #13
the_right_reverend

take up chewing REDMAN or BEECHNUT that will cure all mall ninja traits
Old February 1, 2010, 06:53 PM   #14
Chaz88

Quote:
take up chewing REDMAN or BEECHNUT that will cure all mall ninja traits
Sorry just can't do it. I will have to stick to Copenhagen, silver lid.

Old February 1, 2010, 07:22 PM   #15
wonder9

Hmmm.... is the camo stock a "subdued" woodland or an urban camo?
Old February 1, 2010, 08:00 PM   #16
Doc Intrepid

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated."

Old February 1, 2010, 08:25 PM   #17
Chaz88

Quote:
Hmmm.... is the camo stock a "subdued" woodland or an urban camo?
Not entirely sure if I know what urban camo looks like. I would call it a subdued woodland. It is mat green and brown colors with some twigs and stuff on it. The only camo I am very familiar with is on BDU's green and desert. No I did not get them at the mall. They were issued to me. If I can talk my daughter out of her camera I will post a pick.

Quote:
"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated."
I have already been assimilated by TFL. I don't know how much more I can take before my stubborn streak kicks in.

Old February 1, 2010, 08:39 PM   #18
stantonizm

If you take it to the woods and do some hunting with it I don't think you'd be a mall ninja. If you consider it your tactical, urban, counter-sniper rifle, you might be a mall ninja.
Old February 1, 2010, 10:05 PM   #19
Chaz88

Pictures

Quote:
If you take it to the woods and do some hunting with it I don't think you'd be a mall ninja. If you consider it your tactical, urban, counter-sniper rifle, you might be a mall ninja.
I plan to shoot coyotes, small rodents and paper with it. If I did feel the need for a counter sniper rifle I think I would want a heaver caliber.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 009.JPG (75.7 KB, 501 views)
File Type: jpg 010.JPG (85.5 KB, 500 views)
File Type: jpg 022.JPG (88.7 KB, 523 views)

Old February 2, 2010, 04:53 AM   #20
benroe

I saw one of those at Bass Pro Shops when i was looking for "ammo" and thought I must have one!! They are wicked. I would love to go deer hunting with one of those. But it would have to be chambered in .308win of course.

Last edited by benroe; February 2, 2010 at 05:00 AM.
Old February 2, 2010, 09:36 AM   #21
Chaz88

I was looking at the small bores .204, .223, 22-250 and settled on the .223. I originally was after a .204 but the .223 was marked down way below the .204. I hope the carbon barrel can hold up to some of the claims, it added quite a bit to the cost over the standard barrel. I think it would be nice in .308 but maybe with the aluminum version of the stock.

Old February 2, 2010, 10:15 AM   #22
berettaprofessor

No worries....mall ninjas don't buy guns in camo, just tactical black.

What you are in danger of is joining a far more insidious group; the sniperbubbas. If you feel the urge for a ghillie suit and face paint, or you spray paint your truck in camo, then watch out!
Old February 2, 2010, 10:32 AM   #23
Chaz88

Quote:
What you are in danger of is joining a far more insidious group; the sniperbubbas. If you feel the urge for a ghillie suit and face paint, or you spray paint your truck in camo, then watch out!
LoL..Don't think i will ever have a ghillie suit. I will admit a fascination with the sniper world. I would love to have that kind of skill. I almost tried out for the Navy Seals in boot camp and considered it again a couple of years later. Looking back, I will have to admit I was never physically tough enough to make it.

Old February 2, 2010, 10:37 AM   #24
Uncle Buck

Ignore these guys! That gun would blend right in at the top of the escalators, next to the potted plants (Fake of course). With that set-up, you could easily outgun those skate board riding, purse snatching thieves and help keep our malls protected for the thousands of women and children that use them.

I am sure Gecko45 would approve and maybe they could even get a mount for the electric golf cart so that when you are chasing the bad guys through the grass and bush covered medians, you will blend right in.

Nice set up. Let us know how it shoots.
Old February 2, 2010, 10:39 AM   #25
berettaprofessor

Crap...I forgot about the fake plastic plants. You're right, nice gun for the mall.