The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 29, 2012, 10:11 AM   #26
publius

You got the original box too. Super cool! You stole it, especially w/the box.
Old October 1, 2012, 02:20 PM   #27
Sevens

Just wanted to comment on the thought that the Redhawks are the strongest, most indestructible .357 Magnums ever made.

I agree that they are right up at the top and are likely not rivaled by any double action .357 that I am aware of, but if we want to go ahead and use those most definite superlatives that leave absolutely no room for anything whatsoever, I would submit that perhaps the very largest Freedom Arms single action .357 Magnum revolvers (while obviously not double action) might be even stronger than a .357 Redhawk.

I have no proof and I own neither, I just believe it's worthy of discussion and relevant to the topic.

For $400, you got a fantastic buy. Redhawk revolvers are otherwise not highly valuable/collectible, but it's only because they are a solid working man's gun and made in high volume with a reasonable price when new. They are, generally speaking, not collectible handguns because of this. The .357 Magnum chambering, however, was quite limited so the .357 Redhawks are in a different class as far as "collectible" value.

Any Redhawk's value as a shooter is obvious. They are well made guns that do everything asked of them. But they don't tend to carry a collectible "value" when compared to other large frame revolvers on the market.

If you paid that money for a .44 Magnum Redhawk, you got a very solid deal.
Paying $400 for a .357 Redhawk means you got a darn good deal, or better.
Old October 1, 2012, 08:14 PM   #28
WESHOOT2

not mine

My sold-off 5.5" was NOT "90%", not even close, and I got $650 for it about five years ago.

Kept the 7.5", though
Old October 1, 2012, 09:38 PM   #29
TennJed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevens View Post
Just wanted to comment on the thought that the Redhawks are the strongest, most indestructible .357 Magnums ever made.

I agree that they are right up at the top and are likely not rivaled by any double action .357 that I am aware of, but if we want to go ahead and use those most definite superlatives that leave absolutely no room for anything whatsoever, I would submit that perhaps the very largest Freedom Arms single action .357 Magnum revolvers (while obviously not double action) might be even stronger than a .357 Redhawk.

I have no proof and I own neither, I just believe it's worthy of discussion and relevant to the topic.

For $400, you got a fantastic buy. Redhawk revolvers are otherwise not highly valuable/collectible, but it's only because they are a solid working man's gun and made in high volume with a reasonable price when new. They are, generally speaking, not collectible handguns because of this. The .357 Magnum chambering, however, was quite limited so the .357 Redhawks are in a different class as far as "collectible" value.

Any Redhawk's value as a shooter is obvious. They are well made guns that do everything asked of them. But they don't tend to carry a collectible "value" when compared to other large frame revolvers on the market.

If you paid that money for a .44 Magnum Redhawk, you got a very solid deal.
Paying $400 for a .357 Redhawk means you got a darn good deal, or better.
The 45 colt Redhawks are pretty sought after, especially the 5.5" ones which are discontinued. Few of those were made. The 4" (of maybe it is 4.2") are still made according to Ruger, but I have never seen a new one for sale. The 45 colt Redhawk is a reloaders dream
Old October 2, 2012, 08:06 AM   #30
bigtubby

Not to derail the OP but I don't see many 5 1/2" SS .41 mag red hawks are they rare or just held on to?
Old October 2, 2012, 11:07 AM   #31
boa2

The .41 Redhawk was produced from 1984-1991. However the .357 Redhawk was only produced from 1984-1985 and was discontinued.
Old October 2, 2012, 09:04 PM   #32
feets

Rare does not mean valuable.

In 1969, Dodge made very few slant six powered Chargers. That same year they made a ton of 440 powered Chargers. Despite the rarity, the slant six cars do not demand a premium.

To get back into guns, the 41 maggie is a great cartridge. The Redhawk is a proven platform with an impressive fan base. However, the Redhawks chambered in 41 mag are more of an "oh, yeah they made those too" kind of gun for the shooting world. They only have increased value to the "one of everything" Ruger collectors and the hard core 41 mag fans.

The 41 will always be the often forgotten little brother of the 429 magnum.
Old October 2, 2012, 09:48 PM   #33
Crankgrinder

perhaps the very largest Freedom Arms single action .357 Magnum revolvers (while obviously not double action) might be even stronger than a .357 Redhawk.

That freedom arms is 1500.00 too. That sir is an unbeatable deal you got on such a fine pistol. Hang on to it for sure.