The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 25, 2007, 10:27 AM   #51
The Tourist

"May not meet the ballistic's criteria for many"

I'm not far from your age, I'm 57, and I've learned a few wrinkles about making life's choices.

First, go see Jack Nickelson's speech to Dennis Hopper in "Easy Rider." It says a lot about using your own choices and freedoms--and how those choices will be perceived by people, and unfortunately, your friends.

Having said that, I'm against any activity, be that a hobby, belief, diet or discipline, where a slavish attitude becomes the driving force.

You have made a choice which enhances your life. This is a personal decision and one that should not tolerate nagging. Most people don't know the difference between fighting with guns and fighting tooth decay. Do your own research, and live by your own codes.

The biggest problem I have with advice is sifting out the BS.
Old July 25, 2007, 10:37 AM   #52
xrocket

Very well said!
Old July 25, 2007, 12:50 PM   #53
dreamcastdre

I've got to say, I know nothing about guns at all (I just bought my first gun ever July 21st for self defense) but reading through this thread has made me respect the depth of knowledge you guys have on the subject. This has been a really enlightening thread for me; good stuff, that's all
Old July 25, 2007, 01:06 PM   #54
Playboypenguin

Quote:
I've got to say, I know nothing about guns at all (I just bought my first gun ever July 21st for self defense)
One thing you are going to have to learn real fast is that you are not allowed to make statements like that without telling us what you bought..and preferably posting pics.
Old July 25, 2007, 01:11 PM   #55
dreamcastdre

LOL, sorry about that Playboypenguin. I got a Beretta PX4 .40. I haven't gotten out to a gun range yet (planning on doing that this weekend) but I am looking forward to it
Old July 25, 2007, 05:46 PM   #56
JunyTuck

The Tourist,
Thanks that's sound advice! Live by your own code and what works for you and ignore the incessant nagging and BS all too prevalent on gun forums.
Old July 25, 2007, 06:14 PM   #57
threegun

Dreamcast, I've got the PX4 storm in 9mm and it is wonderful. Nice to see a newbie get a great 1st gun.
Old July 25, 2007, 07:28 PM   #58
gunmetal

JunyTuck,

as a general rule I agree with you, there's plenty of crap on the 'boards. But it's not all crap.

http://actionsbyt.blogspot.com/search?q=NAA+Guardian

Is that the model you have? If so, there are some things pointed out there that you might want to be aware of.

HTH.