The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 22, 2007, 08:36 PM   #26
Jart

Unless the LnL-AP makes such a thing impossible, I'm betting the 11.0 was a double and unlikely to repeat when things are settled down.
Old July 23, 2007, 06:31 AM   #27
millers5285

Jart, I think you're right and I think the same thing because 11.0 is way to much. I did clean it before I started. I'm going to keep at it...I don't give up easy.
Old July 23, 2007, 06:37 AM   #28
millers5285

I also wanted to say that Hornady has a deal right now. With my purchase of the LNL AP, I get 1000 bullets free (12.95 shipping). You can't get the bullet of choice....they have a list to choose from. I got the 230 XTP's, .451. Any favorite loads for 45ACP or 45 Colt?
Old July 23, 2007, 06:32 PM   #29
millers5285

I took my time this afternoon and loaded 50 and the bottom line is that I'm going to like this press. I worked with the powder measure a little and wanted to get 5.0. Out of the 50, about all of them were 5.0-5.1. A few were 5.2 and 1 was 4.9. I think that is pretty damn good. My confidence level is up now on the powder measure. My next 50 I won't weigh as much, but still do some checks. The primer feed only malfunctioned once.
Old July 23, 2007, 06:51 PM   #30
Jart

I love it when a plan comes together.
Old July 23, 2007, 08:21 PM   #31
LHB1

Miller,
A suggestion from an experienced reloader:

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER TURN THE CARTRIDGE CARRIER (BASE PLATE) OF A PROGRESSIVE RELOADER BACKWARDS!!!!!

Such action can lead to double charge of powder and cause KABOOM. If a problem occurs, remove ALL the cases from base plate, finish loading each case singly, and then restart normal progressive reloading operation!!

Good shooting and be safe.
LB
Old July 24, 2007, 06:38 AM   #32
millers5285

Hmmm, I didn't turn the plate backwards. I was removing the shell and weighing it and dumping the powder back in the tube. When I got the double charge I more than likely didn't dump it. I've loaded shotgun shells for years using a progressive and am very confident in the MEC powder dispenser. What I'm trying to do is get a good feel for this press by weighing each charge. Once I get a good feel for it, I'll be weighing every 15 or so. Thanks for the advice though. You can never get too many "cautions", tips, etc.

Here's a newbee question. What is the danger zone when loading handgun shells? I know this question is pretty open, but here is my situation. I'm loading 45ACP, 5.0 Titegroup, WLP, 200SWC. Lyman's manual says the minimum load is 4.8 and max is 5.4. I would never purposely exceed the max load....but what if the powder dispenser drops 5.6 or so+.
Old July 24, 2007, 10:35 AM   #33
Master Blaster

Quote:
"Also, the powder measure is really off. Yesterday I was testing it and had it set to drop 5.0. It did OK. Now today when I went to load some shells it is measuring 5.9-6.0. One drop was 11.0????? Any tips?"

Miller,
I don't know how you produced such a huge variation.
Its called bridging when the powder flakes block the hole in the rotor partly on one charge and it doesnt give you a full charge, then the next one there is no bridging and you get twice as much.

I had that problem with the smaller hole inthe pistol rotor, with the standard rotor it shouldnt be a problem. The LNL powder measure needs to be kept 3/4 or more full and it needs a baffle installed halfway down the resevoir to get consistent charges with small volume pistol loads.