The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 4, 2016, 01:56 PM   #26
Gator Crusader

Nathan, I agree with you 100% about the rifle's effectiveness in any structure. I do not believe that it is a subpar choice in the home to the shotgun. I am just saying that my Mossberg 500 is also very easy to use and is a phenomenal weapon system for home defense. If I were planning to go on the offensive against a threat or fight in a war, I'd choose the rifle every time over the shotgun. I'd be crazy not to, lol! And I still may pick one up someday soon. I just think that for my plans, the shotgun covers most of my bases. It is such a versatile gun in that it can handle most defensive situations one is likely to encounter, it can take numerous forms of game, and ammo availability is plentiful & cheap. And perhaps most of all, I already have one that I have some experience with and have worked on. Anyway, it suits me well.

I also agree with you on the XDM. I have considered it for the same safety reasons you mentioned. I don't know though, I'm kind of leaning toward picking up a back up shotgun and maybe a couple of 22 rifles for now as 22lr seems to be appearing on the shelves a bit more.
Old February 4, 2016, 03:36 PM   #27
themalicious0ne

Ok this will be my last bit on the ar. I fully respect your choice in using a shotgun for home defense. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Nor am I saying you should get rid of your shotgun, I just think there are strong merits for you picking up an ar instead of ANOTHER shotgun. Who knows, you may learn to appreciate the ar more.

One, the ar is at its cheapest price point ever. You could buy one, a 22 and ammo in that price range. Second, if you are worried about the political climate, the ar will be the first to go and it will drive up prices considerably. 5.56 or .223 ammo is far cheaper than buckshot or slugs. $0.30 a round compared to almost $1. While birdshot and target loads for a shotgun are cheap, they are very ineffective for defense. In addition, buckshot is far less common or available than 5.56. Not to mention being far heavier in weight of amount of rounds you can carry on you.

When I meant the shotgun is harder to manipulate. I didn't mean it's a complicated weapon to use, I meant that it is more difficult to use effectively. Using it at the range is easy. Now think if you have to use it in defense. You will rack the pump as quickly as possible, if you are not practiced with racking all the way back and then all the way forward you can short stroke and cause a jam. That is not something I want to worry about in a firefight or defense senario. Ok now how about reloading. Do you count how many shots you have fired or when you rack the last time will you just hear a click. Have you tried reloading one shell at a time under pressure with sweaty fingers. It's an easy manual of arms when you aren't trying to defend yourself. The ar locks back on an empty chamber and boom, put in a fresh mag and close the bolt, 30 more rounds. Far less recoil for followup shots too not to mention if your significant other were to use it. Can your SO effectively use the shotgun or how practiced are your friends you want to pass one off to?

Overall I think the 22 is a great idea for small game. I think you have it right there. I don't think you need to look at a rifle as only a 400 yard weapon. It is effective at point blank range as well as surpass your shotgun at 50 yards with buckshot and over 100 with slugs. I think you should get whatever you are comfortable with and if that is another shotgun then so be it, but I don't think you shoukd discredit a rifles use or its manual of arms. It is very easy. They teach absolutely everyone in the military and no you don't have to be military to learn how to use it. I wish you the best of luck.
Old February 5, 2016, 12:05 PM   #28
Nathan

My significant will not train with the shotgun...AR works better that way...