The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 30, 2016, 10:32 PM   #1
tahunua001

because facebook is a bunch of liberal jerks...

... a number of buy/sell pages that cater specifically to gun owners are about to be shut down. a few people are trying make alternative pages for these groups. one such page for Idaho residents is currently getting off the ground. it's still a work in progress, but in time should do pretty decent. if you'd like to check it out, here's a link.
Old January 30, 2016, 11:13 PM   #2
Radny97

Yeah I'm pretty bummed/disappointed/angry about it. Why do people feel a need to push their views on others? Liberals are only open minded if you happen to agree with them.
Old January 30, 2016, 11:25 PM   #3
shooterdownunder

Quote:
Why do people feel a need to push their views on others? Liberals are only open minded if you happen to agree with them.
Because it's their site? TFL has their own rules, why can't facebook?
Old January 30, 2016, 11:38 PM   #4
buckhorn_cortez

You know...we all used to buy and sell guns BEFORE the Internet? Honest. You can do it.

Facebook is a company that owns a website. As the owner, they can set whatever type of rules of operation they want that don't violate local, state, and federal laws.

Thare are lots of venues for selling, buying, and trading guns. Quit whining because you find it inconvenient.
Old January 31, 2016, 12:18 AM   #5
MurBob

Perhaps they are worried about being sued when someone uses one of those weapons to commit a crime??

Not sure if that has any merit.. just thought I'd throw it out for consideration.
Old January 31, 2016, 12:21 AM   #6
rickyrick

Facebook is a private entity, it's well within their right and I support any private entity's rights to limit what happens within their realm.
Old January 31, 2016, 01:21 AM   #7
USMC 77-81

Radny is correct, liberals are extremely tolerant as long as you agree with them. Also, just for thought, remember, 'Free stuff' only means that someone else is paying for it.

1st Marine division, 3rd Marines
Old January 31, 2016, 03:36 AM   #8
gunnerk19

Old January 31, 2016, 04:37 AM   #9
gyvel

Anyone who is on FB is not too bright to begin with, You have completely given up any semblance of privacy when you are on FB.

I had an account years ago under a ridiculous alias, and I still got hacked by some Chinese near Taipei, according to what passed as FB security at the time. I quickly closed the account and haven't been back since.
SIFE
Old January 31, 2016, 05:32 AM   #10
Theohazard

Few things hurt our cause more than framing the gun argument in partisan terms. Please, stop using the word "liberal" to mean "anti-gun". Yes, liberals are more likely to be anti-gun than conservatives, but not necessarily. It's self-destructive and idiotic to intentionally alienate a huge part of the political spectrum by lumping all liberals together with anti-gunners.

I have many liberal views and I oppose many conservative views, but I would never vote for an anti-gun candidate (I've sworn off voting for the Democratic Party so long as they maintain an anti-gun platform). Remember, when you use the term "liberal" you could easily be referring to someone like me, and I dare you to call me "anti-gun" to my face.
Old January 31, 2016, 09:39 AM   #11
Rodentman

I agree

I agree with gyvel. I had a FB acct a few years ago under an alias which rather defeats the purpose. I didn't get hacked but DO consider it a huge security risk. My kids are in their 30's and have FB accounts much to my dismay. There are not allowed to photograph my firearms nor to discuss "what Dad has" on those accounts. There not into firearms anyway so there's little danger.

I saw a photo of my son and his GF on his FB account and sent it to him since it was borderline risqué. He indignantly asked me where I got it, and I told him the whole world has access to it. Guess the acct is private now.
Old January 31, 2016, 10:20 AM   #12
WyMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theohazard
Few things hurt our cause more than framing the gun argument in partisan terms. Please, stop using the word "liberal" to mean "anti-gun". Yes, liberals are more likely to be anti-gun than conservatives, but not necessarily. It's self-destructive and idiotic to intentionally alienate a huge part of the political spectrum by lumping all liberals together with anti-gunners.

I have many liberal views and I oppose many conservative views, but I would never vote for an anti-gun candidate (I've sworn off voting for the Democratic Party so long as they maintain an anti-gun platform). Remember, when you use the term "liberal" you could easily be referring to someone like me, and I dare you to call me "anti-gun" to my face.

I agree with this 100%. The "Liberal=Dem=Anti-gun" line is lazy and idiotic, and it doesn't help anything.
Old January 31, 2016, 10:24 AM   #13
LockedBreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theohazard View Post

+1 - one of my old shooting buddies in college was Vice President of Campus Democrats. Party line on every issue but guns. Forever changed my view of liberal vs. conservative and made me realize there's a false dichotomy. It's true that liberals are more likely to be anti-gun, but it's nonsensical to alienate the - possibly millions - that are not. It's my biggest issue with the NRA's tone in recent years.
Old January 31, 2016, 11:20 AM   #14
highpower3006

I have never understood the whole social media thing. Why would anyone want to make their private life public?
Old January 31, 2016, 11:32 AM   #15
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally posted by highpower3006:

I have never understood the whole social media thing. Why would anyone want to make their private life public?
Gun forums are social media. What don't you understand?

As for Facebook, their site, their rules. There are a ton of other options out there to sell guns, that are much more gun friendly.
Old January 31, 2016, 11:37 AM   #16
NateKirk

Quote:
Liberals are only open minded if you happen to agree with them.
You could very well substitute the word "liberal" in that sentence with any other faction name and it would still be true. The owner of the website doesn't want gun sales going on there, so we should just move on to another place like Armslist, or Gunbroker, or all the other better places for picking up firearms. Crying about it and making a big stink just makes us look bad.

― --Thomas Jefferson
Old January 31, 2016, 11:49 AM   #17
Glenn E. Meyer

I am closing this specifically because of the usage of Liberal Jerks.

As stated repeatedly we do not do liberal vs. conservative tirades.

We discuss anti or pro gun attitudes.

One can go through a litany of 'conservatives' who are gun banners.

We can find liberals who support gun rights.

Get the point and don't be intellectually sloppy. While there is some correlation of political attitudes and gun control attitudes it is not 0,1 and thus:

CLOSED