The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 21, 2016, 09:21 AM   #26
TimSr

In Ohio we have city police, with jurisdiction within city limits, and sheriff's depts operated by each county who are the main law enforcement for unincorporated areas, and also have jurisdiction in any city within their county. Them we have the State Highway Patrol with statewide jurisdiction, but mostly focused to patrolling state and interstate highways.

Our sheriff of 4 years in Wayne County, Ohio, who ran against the establishment endorsed republican has been awesome. very pro-gun, and pro-individual right and responsibility to participate in your own security.
Old January 21, 2016, 10:19 AM   #27
mrray13

My boss, the county Sheriff, is pro-gun. My Chief Deputy has his FFL, and we talk firearms all the time (last conversation was the KS6). However, my boss is a politician, and if the county board, who seems to think they control more then the purse strings, sways anti, I think he would too.

Our SA is very pro-gun, him and his wife both having their CCP. As long as he stays in office, it helps sway things the 2A way.
Old January 22, 2016, 03:35 PM   #28
Dreaming100Straight

In CA city police chiefs can issue licenses but most cede their authority to their county's sheriff. Most all the ones with larger cities are nearly no issue, but I am in Orange County where things have changed drastically due to litigation on which a decision is awaited. Meanwhile the Sheriff is issuing CCW pretty liberally, if concealed carry policy is what you meant by gun policy.
Old January 22, 2016, 04:10 PM   #29
zincwarrior

Being that I live in two locations:

Harris County has 5mm people. I could care less what the lead sheriff thinks. I think he just resigned and lost the race to become mayor.

Williamson County-I thought he was indicted on something recently. I'm noticing a trend here...
Old January 22, 2016, 04:20 PM   #30
AL45

He is dead set against it. He is encouraging all responsible citizens to arm themselves. Needless to say, he is VERY well liked around these parts.
Old January 23, 2016, 01:10 AM   #31
Gary L. Griffiths

I'm proud to say that my Sheriff went up against Obama in his rigged town hall meeting about guns. Did us right proud!
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old January 23, 2016, 05:26 AM   #32
HiBC

My experience with my local sheriff,and predecessor in Colorado:
He firmly believes he was elected by the People to be the Steward of their Constitutional Rights.We have a "Shall Issue" CCW,which does include training requirement,fingerprinting,and background check.IMO,the Dept is friendly about it,but responsible.
As Targa pointed out,that is the position of the vast majority of Colorado Sheriffs.
Actually,in Northern Colorado,our Sheriffs have devoted considerable personal time and resources to fighting the Colorado recent gunlaws on mag cap and background checks.
The Sheriffs have also filed suits to fight these laws in court.
I might add that Northern Colorado has seen some exceptional flooding and forest fires over the last 5 years.It is our Sheriffs office who manages the response,and they have done an excellent job.
My local Sheriff did an outstanding job on a vandalism to my boat,also.
As I said,the Sheriff's loyalty is to his constituents, and it has a large rural component.
Some have an attitude toward the Sheriff for enforcing DUI laws stringently.
Folks who use illicit drugs may have an anti-LEO sentiment.I find my Sheriff still has a "Serve and Protect" philosophy.

While I have no personal problem with the city PD'sand no trouble or complaint,The urban Police Chiefs are appointees of urban politics.Whole new ballgame.
City Council members,most of whom left somewhere else,between Lattes and Croissants,collaborate ways to dispose of excess tax money creating a Utopia resembling the failed efforts of wherever they left.
Banning grocery bags,smoking outdoors,indoors,and in between,and regulating a maximum of 6 backyard chickens...Registered chickens,none of which may end up in a pot.
At the top is our Governor....Hickenlooper.....Who I have heard described as a Blumberg devote.(I used a nice word for the mods.)
Old January 23, 2016, 10:04 AM   #33
wogpotter

Firmly astride the fence with his mug on one side & his wump on the other.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old January 24, 2016, 06:49 AM   #34
spacecoast

My local sheriff is Wayne Ivey.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7yI1_XfZbQs

Last edited by spacecoast; January 24, 2016 at 07:06 AM.
Old January 24, 2016, 07:28 AM   #35
rebs

Our Sheriff is pro gun and openly says so. He will defend the 2nd amendment and urges law abiding citizens to get a permit and carry. He said at a SCOPE meeting that every law abiding citizen has the right to carry and should. He also said that the citizen is the first line of defense. we respond as quickly as possible but sometimes can not get there quick enough, usually get there in time to fill out a report and then search for the perpetrator. You have a right and a need to defend yourself.
In NYS 52 out of 54 Sheriff's oppose the safe act. The NYS Sheriff Association sent a letter to Cuomo with 52 Sheriff's signatures on it calling for a repeal of the safe act. The majority will not enforce the safe act unless someone is very blatantly doing something wrong.
The NYS Police have shown they are opposed to the safe act as well.
Old January 24, 2016, 06:59 PM   #36
Moonglum

Bill Elder, the Sheriff of El Paso County Colorado, is on record as supporting permitless carry for Colorado.

They don't get much more Pro Second Amendment than him